1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk me out of buying a Les Paul studio 50s Tribute!!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Chase TM, Oct 6, 2016.

1. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I find the upper priced Epiphones play better than the lower priced Gibsons. Maybe it's just me. I never liked the Studios or Faded models. An Epi LP Custom to me plays better. Just saying...

2. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I don't care too much for the weight of most Les Pauls.

3. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Don't do it... get an SG.

4. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

For the 2017 models, they don't specify 50s, they just call it the "Tribute T". Here's the details:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-tribute-t-2017-electric-guitar

I took a chance and pre-ordered mine before they were even released. It was a lucky roll of the dice, because I'm perfectly happy with the guitar, from the sound to the fret dressing to every detail of it. Excellent fit and finish. Its one of the best factory guitars that I've ever bought, and I've owned some good ones over the past 48 years.

I was ready to change the tuning machines upon receipt, based on reviews that I read of the 2015 and 2016 models, but the ones it came with are so precise and work so well that I scrapped that idea. There's no creep in the stock tuners and the thing stays in tune forever. I was surprised. I was also planning to swap out the pickups as I have never been too excited by 490s, but in this particular guitar, they sound really, really good to my ears, so I scrapped that idea too. I like the pickups just fine.

The neck is what I would describe as slim, and for me, it's a very fast neck. The guitar does not suffer from any of the problems and complaints that I read about the 2015 and 2016 models before I pre-ordered, so maybe Gibson is listening to customers. I don't know if I just got a good one or what, but I'm very happy with this guitar right out of the box, which is unusual for me. If they're all like this one, I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

Serenity23 likes this.
  5. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

Just to update on this, I went for a new 50s Epi Goldtop via mail order. It was not good, it sounded OK but there was no joy or connection in playing it. It didn't stay in tune, even when I swapped out the strings, so back it went. It cost me £25+ in postage and strings but I was glad to see the back of it and get a refund.
    What a contrast when I pick up my beloved Strat and Tele partscasters with quality hardware - I can never put them down.
    After a lifetime of Fender style guitars, I like my controls to be 1 master volume and 1 master tone and a pickup switch right by my picking fingers, not that 4 knobs and selector up by your left nipple layout :-D

I always live in hope that I will find an LP type guitar that I will bond with, but it is getting more unlikely as the years go by.

6. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Tele-Meister

I got one of the first runs, slapped a Bigsby on her, ditched the reflectors and polished her up to a VOS esque shine, really solid guitar.

upload_2016-12-19_11-5-57.png

upload_2016-12-19_11-6-16.png

upload_2016-12-19_11-7-12.png [​IMG]

Best sub $1000 Gibson I've ever owned.

pre polish shot,

[​IMG]

Made a HUGE difference IMO, not bad for 2 hours worth of work, did it by hand, dropped the pots and left everything else on. Really makes the carve stand out, from most angles she looked flat unless the light caught her just right, after the polish she never looks flat...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  7. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Yes, you have to put the love into it.

8. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've played a few studios. They definitely look and feel diffferent than a proper LP. Not to say they aren't an excellent value, because I think they are. It's just that once you play a proper LP you've been spoiled and now the studio looks and feels roughly hewn. Still plays and sounds great.

9. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Such is my experience with all post-USA Epis. I bought a new Epi "Firebird" some years ago and quickly got rid of it. Something about my nervous system just rejected that guitar like a bad transplanted liver. I have a Goldtop 60's tribute, 2011 version with the P90s and clear back finish...I like it but don't love it. I had the fret ends dressed and the fingerboard edges rolled a bit and I've had to mess with the pickups....currently running a Stewmac Parsons Street bridge and a mini-bucker in the neck that came from a 60's Epiphone. It's got more bite & less mud than the neck P90 but misses that rich jazzy sweetness. At least now the pickups are better balanced.

10. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I have two Studios , a 96 and a 2009
    The oldest one probably have the holes in the body , and the 09 is probably chambered. They both weigh 8 pounds , I will never buy a heavier Les Paul , its just not worth it IMO.
    Both of mine are excellent guitars , the 96 is a bit road-worn , will need fretwork sometime in the future , but its still very playable. The 09 have the PCB which doesnt bother me. Both guitars are very plain to look at , Wine Red and Black. I dont care , they are both guitars with a lot of zing , just really good guitars.......the 490/498 pu's havent got many fans on-line , but I always make them work , turning knobs isnt against the law....

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.