Talk me out of buying a Les Paul studio 50s Tribute!!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Chase TM, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Chase TM

Chase TM Tele-Meister

So I haven't bought a new electric in about 8 years (I've been using the same partscaster tele for that long and absolutely love it). But came across the following guitar:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/63899/...Studio_50s_Tribute_Humbucker_-_Satin_Gold.htm

I haven't ever owned a gibson (or gibson style guitar) on the only humbucker equipped guitars I've ever owned were 3 Ibanez (JS model, and 2 full hollow artcores) So I know very very little about those styles of guitars, so I was wondering if you could help me with this one! I was looking at getting a 335 style guitar, but I tried the above model in gold an loved playing it. It seemed much more enjoyable to play than any other gibson guitar I've played recently.

The reason I'm appealing for help is that the price seems too good to be true. I love the satin finish (my tele neck is tung oil) I love the fat C shape neck (my tele is a chunky soft v) and I love the fact that there are no frills as I admire functionality over aesthetics. I hate bound necks on gibsons (I hate how the binding sits on top of the frets and catches the strings) and I generally don't like thick finish on the neck itself (although I can deal with that). Similar to my D18, I go for quality build and no aesthetic frills. I want to pay for the functionality which I find beauty in, not for fancy appointments etc.

My question to you then, is why is this instrument so cheap? This model sells for $1100 CAD new, and the Les Paul standard faded sells for $2400 CAD new. Am I meant to believe that a slight upgrade in pickups, binding on the neck and body, and a hardshell case amounts to $1300 more in cost? Okay, to be fair I'm sure the wood grade is lower (but why do I care if it's an aesthetic choice?) The particular instrument I played resonated very well and was truly enjoyable to play.

A follow up to my last question then would be is this a good model for the money, or is it too cheap for a quality build? Also, what are some areas to look for when purchasing a gibson (i.e. what are some telltale or typical things in a particular guitar that I should be aware of). I will almost certainly change the nut immediately, but I know some Les Pauls having tuning problems. Is this something that is able to be fixed on any model with proper work done on it, or do some models simply never stay in tune? What other areas of the guitar should I inspect?

Finally, if any other models are to be recommended (always welcome!) keep in mind that I don't really have a budget per se, but also don't have unlimited funds. In other words I would rather spend less than more, but don't want to spend money unnecessarily (I am quite cheap). Also keep in mind that I'm looking for a guitar to compliment my tele, so smooth and fat with humbuckers etc. I play blues, jazz, and earlier rock styles but don't need anything to handle high gain.

Finally, I do not care what country the guitar is made in, what name is on the headstock, or (to a lesser extent) what electronics it's equipped with as that can be swapped. I just want a guitar that feels good, intonates and resonates.

Thanks in advance!

2. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Afflicted

The models are cheap because they don't use gibson premium appointments. Plus, they are an attractive entry point to the gibson name.

In terms of other models to check out, I say check out sg's if you can find one in your price range. They do sound and feel a little different than a les paul, but they're still in the ball park. The les paul is a fine choice though.

3. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

The studio LP's are generally a great value for the money, and that price sounds about right for a no frills studio LP. The most important thing is, of course, the "how does it feel in my hands" test, and it sounds like it passed that with flying colors. That finish looks beautiful in the photo. I'm afraid I can't talk you out of it... :p

As far as other models to look at... if you were looking for a semi-hollow, a used Midtown or an ES-339 might be worth a look:
    (not necessarily these specific ones, just posted as examples)
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gi...-P90-Hollow-Body-Electric-Guitar-112235922.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/ES-339-Studio-Electric-Guitar.gc

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  4. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Studios are great les pauls. You aren't paying for the chrome, but you still get the hemi.

I say get it. And SGs are great too, but sound and feel different than a LP.

I doubt you could tell the difference in sound between a studio and a standard in a blind fold test.

lineboat likes this.
  5. Grant Austin

Grant Austin Tele-Meister

I just sold my 2013 50s Tribute. It had P90s, not humbuckers. It was a fantastic instrument.

Common story though: I severely hurt my back and it was just a little too heavy to play comfortably.

6. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

That $2400 number sounds REALLY high for a Faded LP, are you sure that's right? That's more like a price for a NON faded.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPS516?siid=184280&-YIqw=

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e=&network=g&gclid=CK3zjvmzx88CFYWAaQodVMAESQ

The Tributes are nice for the money, but yeah add it up, add a hard case, binding and a better finish are very labor intensive, the Tributes have very little grain filler and multiple piece bodies, no point to point wiring(the Tributes have a printed circuit board). I have a 2013 60's Tribute SG and I like it. I also have a 2013 flametop LP Studio Deluxe II and that was under $1,000 with a hard case.

I know Canada prices are different than USA, but again, $2400 sounds out of line for a Faded LP.

7. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

There is one on or local craigslist, almost new, for $700

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a 50's trib and I love it. I buffed the headstock, top and back of the neck and did the "faux binding" and it really looks the business. I played a LP for many years and it was just weird looking down and not seeing binding. Like someone moved my food bowl.
    It's chambered and lighter than my tele.

9. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I own a Gibson 50's Tribute P90's. It's a decent guitar - but not worth $1000. I agree about the SG - for almost the same money you can get a 2017 SG w/case and get the Gibson 'premium appointments'.

10. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Had one, sold it, wasn't that impressed at all.

11. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

The Studio, a great player, is a stripped down version of the Les Paul. The mahogany body doesn't have the maple cap that the Standard and other upscale models have. All "appointments" are of good quality, but are their base, or least expensive level offered.
    You asked about other brands. Check out CMG Guitars, and Chris Mitchell Guitars, on eBay for less money than any Gibson.
    I have the Ashlee, my favorite guitar. They are made in Statesboro, Georgia. You should also go to their website for the plant tour and get the specs. US made, top quality build and materials.

12. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

13. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

I'm not a Satin finish person, but if you found a good one that you bond with and connect with, I'd say go for it. I'd say they're generally pretty good guitars. But we know, or you should know that if you're looking at absolute best bang for the buck, stuff with a Gibson name on the headstock isn't the place to be. These are almost in the category of "reasonably priced" Gibson guitars, and seem to be decent value.

14. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

Well Chase, much as I'd like to help you out and talk you out of it, I'm afraid I can't. My 2017 model arrived a week or so ago. I can't find a single bad thing to say about it. I'm glad I got it. Wonderful guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

That is where Gibson priced them as they are stripped down models.

Yes. Keep in mind that applying binding is a very labour intensive process and that labour is being paid US wages.

Lacquer instead of poly and an added hardshell case ads a couple of hundred dollars to the Fender Classic '50s and Classic '60s.

If you like the stripped down aesthetic and it has the features you want, yes the Tributes can be very nice guitars.

Never having owned one, how do you know this? None of my Les Pauls or SGs have ever had tuning issues.

I'm really not sure where you get the idea that Les Pauls, as a model, don't stay in tune. As I said, none of my Gibsons have ever had tuning problems.

Les Pauls, SGs, ES-335s (there are stripped down Studio versions of the 335), etc. will all do the styles you mentioned. I fully understand the appeal of buying new, but if you buy used you will get more guitar for your money. Check the used section of the L&M website (I think they update it on Fridays...or at least they used to update it on Fridays).

Well I'm local to you and I've got an Epi Les Paul Custom for sale....................

callasabra likes this.
  16. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Keep in mind that the Canadian dollar has gone down a bit since the price of oil tanked. The first guitar you linked there works out to $2381 Canadian at today's exchange rate.

17. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

18. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

Talk me out of buying a Les Paul studio 50s Tribute!!
    I wouldnt buy that at all.
    Do or dont and be happy. :D

19. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Goldtops are so bitchin'. Buy it and get in touch with your inner Billy Gibbons, or your inner Dicky Betts. Play it until there is no paint left on the top.

or don't.. I think the Tributes are a lot of guitar for the money too. You can get an SG or a 2016 firebird with full gloss finishes for about the same money, but... They are not even the same thing. The don't have the same kind of weight, they just vibrate differently, not that they are bad. I kind of prefer an SG to a Les Paul personally. Look around too, I just saw a couple of fully bound flametop LP trads on clearance at GC for 1499 with case!

If you want the full on Les Paul experience, feel and tone, there is really no substitute.

Good luck.

20. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

I think you're paying a premium for the Gibson name on the headstock with the model that you're looking at. I have nothing against Gibsons - I own a Les Paul Custom that I bought in the '70s and although it cost me an arm and a leg at the time, it's an amazing guitar and has turned out to be well worth what I paid for it. My concern in your case is that you're buying a model at the low end of their offerings when you could find a better value elsewhere.

If you're willing to consider an Epiphone, you might find a guitar you like just as much for a lower price. You could start by checking out something as inexpensive as the Epiphone SG Standard Pro ($499CDN with $25 Gift Card at L&M) and work your way up from there. If you're interested in an ES-335 style, there's the Epiphone Dot. I own one and while it's not as nice as a Gibson ES-335, it's still a decent guitar and good value.

However, if you really like the guitar you played, then perhaps that's the one for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.