1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk me out of buying a Fender Electric XII (Alternate Reality)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Twang Deluxe, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Hello, since a year I dream of owning a Fender Alternate Reality Electric XII.

Pro: I play a lot of music from the 60s so there are many songs which I would like to play with it.

Cons: Price, no vintage specs (shape, no rotary switch, bridge), I already own a Martin D12x1 and nine other guitars

What do you think?
    I'm also considering a Digitech Mosaic

notroHnhoJ and Marquee Moon like this.
  2. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Has anyone of you already bought one?

3. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

If I could find one I’d buy it! (Unless maybe it was the Sunburst...)

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  4. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I just traded a couple of guitars for a Ric 330/12W and to an extent am regretting it. I know it will never get the same amount of play as my other guitars, but for that one trick, it's pretty cool. I had thought I would probably immediately flip it, but it's starting to grow on me.

Moral of the story: Never come here expecting to be talked out of making a purchase...

5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I won’t talk you out of it because I like the idea. Even as a Rickenbacker 330-12 owner.

Twang Deluxe, Chuckster and drlucky like this.
  6. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

if you want me to talk you out of it, i can only give my personal take...12 string acoustics are great both for solo arrangements and layering stuff. 12 string electrics have more specific cases, i wouldn't feel okay dropping that kind of money for something that limited. i'd be happier with a vintage spec maverick or something.

Maguchi and Twang Deluxe like this.
  7. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I owned a 12-string once, but not for long. I wouldn't have one for free. I'd rather not play one or hear one ever again.

But if you want one I wouldn't talk you out of it.

8. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

What? Are you crazy? Those things suck. Good luck keeping it in tune.

You asked to be talked out of it. There you go.

Maguchi, magic smoke and Twang Deluxe like this.
  9. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The only way I won't buy one is if they come out with a Squier version before I pull the trigger. The bridge looks like an improvement to me (not that I've played a vintage XII), and is the shape really that different?

I would change the switch to a rotary one, which can't be that hard. And didn't the old ones have a series option? It would probably be cool either way.

They are a bit expensive and a bit of a niche guitar. But I want one.

10. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

11. rze99

Pathetic!

12. rze99

I wanted an electric 12 string forever and there was never a “good enough reason”. But when I got one I ended up using it live an 5 tracks in a set and it massively enhanced them. Ok it’s not gonna get played all day every day but what a fab thing to have in your stable. Once you get the hang of tuning it it’s easy. Keep the action low and use ground wound strings for a focused jangle.

13. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

I was joking...I thought it was obvious... my bad. He asked to be talked out of it. Just trying to help the guy. In reality, I think the guitar is super cool.

14. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

As an Alternate Reality guitar ... that is a 'nice' one and a lack of 'vintage specs' might make it more playable.

But, and basically along with a couple of others, for the quoted music genre ....

There's a Ric 620 in Fireglo 12-string here in an independent Guitar store in Brum, new, for £2500! Same shop recently sold a midnight blue 330 12 string for c. £2700 ....

ie at the Fender price (looks like c. £2000 here) - you're really not far off a Ric :cool:!

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Johnny Winter strung one as a 6 string at Woodstock and it sounded great!
    maxresdefault.jpg

16. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Ok, here's my way to talk you out of it.
    Patience..........
    I also wanted a 12 string but like most I thought it wouldn't see enough play. This crystallized when I bought a beautiful Ric 381 12 string. A beautiful instrument but I traded it for 2 guitars that I thought I would use more. Don't regret that trade at all. Now, I still wanted a 12 string and kept my eye open for one. There were a few near misses but no sale. The one thing that I found was that there are a bunch of no name 12 string guitars that are pretty good. The one that I settled on is a Saratoga. Rumored to be a Jay Turser But it's well made,stays in tune, has a nice wide neck, nice pups, and under $400.

Worth the wait, I love it.
    20201008_175743.jpg

17. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

That's pretty cool, great picture. I think Johnny could make about any guitar sound great. I'm a big fan of him, he could really rip some leads.

Twang Deluxe and Chiogtr4x like this.
  18. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

johnny-winter-us-rock-musician-in-june-1973-bfr1ah.jpg
    Just got his first album a week ago- familiar with the songs on it, but never owned recording
    For this record he used a Fender Mustang and an Epiphone Wilshire ( pre-Firebird days)

He got his sound out of anything, any guitar. Just Amazing ( I got Second Winter last year!)

19. rze99

I know. you were. I got it. He doesn’t want to talked out of it he wants support to buy it. We get it LOL. It’s what we are here for to encourage guitar people
    M

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  20. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

List price for an Alternate Reality Electric XII was I think £849 and some shops had them as cheap as £700 or so — so less than a third the cost of a new Ric — but as far as I can see they are all sold and haven’t started turning up on Reverb and eBay.
    A vintage (1960s) Electric XII will definitely set you back at least £3k. (Which didn’t stop Thurston Moore just stuffing his back in a gig bag after his show...)
    Here are some alternative Electric 12-strings I’m aware of in the £500-£1k bracket:
    • Danelectro — DC59 12 and the new 59X 12
    • Eastwood Surfcaster 12
    • Reverend Airwave 12
    • Italia Rimini 12 or Jeffrey Foskett
    • Dean Boca 12
    I’m very interested in getting an electric 12-string... I want to try a Ric to see if it’s worth looking for a secondhand one (though really they have too many knobs), otherwise the Surfcaster 12 is interesting and so are the Danelectros.

Twang Deluxe and 41144 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.