1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk me out of buying a Cherokee

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Carlsson, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Carlsson

Carlsson Tele-Holic

We borrowed my inlaws' chevy blazer for a couple of days, and this made me realize I want an american suv. I want one with a real engine though, so I started looking for a grand cherokee.

Any reason (besides mpg...) I shouldn't get one?

2. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

3. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

I have had a grand cherokee .Very few problems with it. I also have a gmc jimmy.I wouldn't get another one.Problems all the time

4. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

There are certainly much more reliable vehicles out there than a Jeep. Also, a friend of mine has a Grand Cherokee and the leg room in the rear seats is terrible.

And can you define "real engine" for us?

5. monkeywalker

monkeywalker TDPRI Member

It isn't a Toyota land cruiser, which is the only reason you need not to get one;)

6. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

...why?

I'll echo what monkeywalker said. Having driven all of 'em, American SUV's feel quite "cushy." Toyota, Nissan, and Mitsubishi feel a lot more rugged, just driving 'em around.

Bear in mind, I have no idea as to the longevity of any of the aforementioned cars...I just drive them every day as a valet.

7. djphelan01

djphelan01 Tele-Holic

My wife had a 2006 Toyota 4 runner which we traded for a 2014 grand Cherokee. We love the vehicle which has a roomier cab, better mileage and it was cheaper than a new Toyota. We have had some issues with the touch screen radio but that's the only issue so far.

8. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

it doesnt pass the moose test

9. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just get a Hummer and drive through the moose. Who needs handling when you have 5000 pounds of MIGHT!

10. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

I told my family if I was to buy a new vehicle, it would be the 2014 Grand Cherokee. I had a '95 many years back, totaled by youngest daughter. I loved that vehicle, it just felt "right" driving it, can't really explain it. One minute into the test drive I told wife "This is mine".

The new ones have a diesel engine option, and IIRC, can get upwards of 30 MPG....not bad for an SUV with towing power of a truck. And a lot more cool options and a whole lot nicer interior and feel.

11. bumblefingers

bumblefingers Tele-Meister

Chrysler has made huge strides over the past several years, especially since the 2008-2009 bailout period. Their interiors are on par with the best European brands. GM seems like they are still missing the boat.

I have a 2014 Chrysler 300 and had a 2006 Cherokee. Night and day difference. I also have a 2010 Audi q7 diesel. That Audi is the best SUV I've ever driven.

Do yourself a favor and drive a diesel powered SUV. I now buy diesel engines whenever offered.

12. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I always kinda liked Jeeps. Don't know that they're the most reliable vehicle ever made, but they have a certain element of cool toughness I've always liked. Have never owned one though.

13. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

I thought you were talking about a Piper Cherokee... now that would have been cool!

14. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A diesel Grand Cherokee would be awesome!

I was worried about that when we bought an '06 for my wife to drive, but it worked fine for her for several years, and now our son--a much tougher test for a vehicle--is driving it without problems. It says "trail rated", or something like that, and I guess that's important.

That's what I was thinking. Good airplane!

15. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

I should expound on that. Jeeps are an exception. I actually really enjoy Cherokees and G. Cherokees. I was just in an argumentative mood.

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I know a guy out south of town here who has a decent grass strip, and has owned an old Cherokee 235 since the late 60s, maybe a little earlier. I know for sure he had it in 1968, he was friends with my boss who had a Comanche derated to run on the lower octane av gas which would have probably made it a Comanche 235. They used to hook up for family outings all the time. My old boss is long gone, but the Cherokee guy is still around, and was still flying the last time I talked to him. He lives close to my wife's brother, I'll have to check on him next time I'm out that way.

17. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

I wouldn't buy a Jeep Cherokee if they were giving them away. Too many problem like ball bearing and a whole list of problem. They have been downgraded many times by the Consumer Report.

18. scrumley

scrumley Tele-Meister

I've heard of lots of reliability issues with the Grand Cherokee V8's, don't care for the styling either, however I love my 1988 Cherokee. The 4.0 straight six is bulletproof! They'll go 300k miles or further on nothing more than oil changes and some sort of fuel more combustible than tapioca pudding.

19. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

One of my daughters has a Jeep Cherokee. Just like every other Chrysler product I've had anything to do with the last 20 years.
    It has wierd wiring problems.

Maybe the one you buy won't. Good luck.

20. richinva

richinva Tele-Meister

This.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.