1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk me out of buying a Behringer powered mixer

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Mr Perch, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a couple Behringer mixers. I'd buy a used Peavey or Yorkville if I was you. Yamaha too of course but might be out of your price range. I really like Peavey PA gear. I have a Yamaha EMX512C that's real sweet with 2x500 watt amps.

2. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

There is also one of these available for $200 on Craig's List. I am a bit reluctant to buy used, because if I try it out on the gig and discover that it isn't powerful enough, or has any other problem that I can't foresee in the seller's living room, I'm stuck with it. If I buy new through GC or similar venue, I get a second chance, but that rules out pretty much anything by Yamaha due to the price tag.

On the other hand, I can't imagine that I would need a whole ton of wattage -- one band I play in has a 125 watt Harbinger powered mixer that is quite sufficiently loud.

3. Warren Pederson

That Yammie EMX 640 would be awesome. Do it!

4. poiureza

poiureza Tele-Holic

I understand you're wary about buying used.
    Me too.
    But there's a fair chance that this second hand EMX640 will be more reliable than a new Behringer.

I have never had a B mixer where all channels kept going.
    Our current mixer has always been babied, yet has a couple big X'es (referring to Big John's post). And it's a model from their newer line, not an old one.

And no, I'm not a Behringer hater either but you gotta go pragmatic about it.

On the other hand Yamaha makes nothing but good stuff. I have never ever been underwhelmed with any Yamaha part I bought.
    If you are able to test drive it (if only the functionalities in a living room) I would recommend it.

5. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

look for a used Peavy on Craigs List...built like a tank and usually you can find one with another decade of use for under 100.00

6. sequencepro

sequencepro Tele-Meister

Excellent choice, John! Who Wouldn't pay to see "The Drunken Road Whores"? God knows I've spent enough money, time, and child support on them to fund Obamacare!LOL
    Come to think of it, there's a few I wouldn't mind seeing again on "The Drunken Road Whores Reunion Tour"... don't you need another keyboard player?

7. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Tele-Holic

I have a Behringer Powered Mixer that has served me very well for small scale events...

No complaints here...

8. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

They're just fine.

I've used various Behringer gear for at least 10 years, including a PA we bought 8 years ago. I've never had a piece of their equipment fail. The PA gear I've encountered has been a steal, in terms of price:features.

When I did pro sound, I will confess that some of the worst sounding amps I heard were Behringers and I can't say much good about their guitar FX units, based on that same experience, but it all seemed to work for the guys who were using it.

For what the OP is trying to accomplish, I think he'll be fine with the rig he's looking at.

9. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I am seriously considering it. I am torn between that and the 500 watt Behringer which I can get from American Musical Supply with a 45 day return policy and lots of warranty. Both heads have independent amps for each channel; with the Yamaha it's 200 watts per channel peak, with the Behringer 250. Either ought to be sufficient in terms of volume for two singers, I should think. With the Behringer I get the feedback detection gizmo, which is attractive to me, plus the warranty, and it's lighter and more compact, which means I have to treat it with kid gloves, which I do anyway with my gear. It weighs 23 lb., the Yamaha weighs 33. Not a huge difference.

Did you ever have to make up your mind? Keep the advice coming. BTW, does anyone have any experience, good or bad, in dealing with American Musical Supply?

10. poiureza

poiureza Tele-Holic

Check the warranty.
    Are you supposed to pay for shipping it back or would they cover the cost ?
    Shipping 23-33lb costs an arm and a leg ...

If they cover the shipping AND if you keep the old mixer as backup in the closet AND if you'd be OK waiting a couple weeks on repair, then I see no problem buying the B.

11. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

The warranty says that buyer pays for shipping to the company and the company pays for shipping it back. I'm not too happy with that.

Now, if I could get it through GC and purchase their Pro Coverage, that's a pretty sweet deal. They take care of you right away if anything goes wrong. Now, I could buy this thing used for $175 and get the Pro Coverage for another $20. Then I would have mucho watts.

12. Warren Pederson

The 250 watts per channel from the Behringer won't be even close to the 200 from the Yamaha. It's a shell game.

13. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

Hold the phone -- a GC within driving distance has one of these for $180. It's used, but for another $20 I can get the Pro Coverage. This seems like the best option yet. What do you all think?

This is the first unit I have seen that advertises an RMS rating for its watts.

14. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I have a Beheringer PMP2000. It's advertised as 800 Watts, but like Wetblanket stated, that's bridged at 4 ohms.
    In reality, I get 135 watts per side with standard 8 ohms speakers. Just barely enough for a small to medium room, with a not Too loud drummer, and the monitor out is Not powered.....

15. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

One definite rule I will now follow after recent experiences: always buy a new mixer. there are lots of pots and faders and switches and old faders often (usually?) seem to have a few that are glitchy.

I think the OP can buy Behringer in confidence BUT as suggested, buy new and test/use thoroughly to make sure all is well.

16. buckfuzzard

buckfuzzard Tele-Meister

I use that mixer with a couple of EV sx100+ speakers. Its a great mixer. Mine gets used for acoustic act and can fill bar rooms with no problem. GC usually has a good return policy, I'd give it a try. If it doesn't fit the bill for you, then you can return it. I'd buy this again over a berringer any day..
    That's what I think...

Try out the Carvin, don't let the physical size of it fool you, it's a great powered mixer.. XP800L

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  17. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I would buy the carvin, assuming it is in good shape, in a heartbeat over the Behringer. I would buy it new also before I purchased the Behringer.

18. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Carvin makes good stuff. For under two bills, I'd jump on that.

19. poiureza

poiureza Tele-Holic

+1 on that

GC + Pro Coverage looks like the way to go

20. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I think I shall. I have played at some clubs that had Carvin systems and I liked them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.