1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk Me Out of Buying a B-Bender

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by tlandonevans, Mar 28, 2016.

1. tlandonevans

tlandonevans Tele-Meister

... or I'm going to do it. Fender American Nashville B-Bender to be precise. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleAMNB3SB

Since discovering music as my passion two years ago, I have come to learn that my second passion is buying gear. I've acquired so much stuff on craigslist. I flip a lot of it, and make decent money at times. From the acoustic guitar for $30 that actually plays really well, to the drum kit from the kid who gave it up after two months, I'll buy anything music related that has a good price tag on it.

Lately I've been intrigued by bender guitars. I would really like a G-bender, but those look really hard to get ahold of. Finding them used is tough, but when Sweetwater makes it so easy for me to just pay $47.23 a month for three years, I almost can't pass it up. I feel like 50 bucks a month is well worth it for such an awesome guitar.

The big drawback however is that I absolutely suck at guitar. I play all the time, but my skills are not commensurate with my effort. I'm in a band that plays 6 or 7 shows a month, but I just sing and play rhythm acoustic. So I'm not going to get a whole lot of use out of this guitar for at least a year until I figure out how the hell to play something other than pentatonic scales.

So give me whatever you've got, reviews, playing advice, etc. If there are any horror stories, let me hear those too. I'm curious as to how the tension in the spring hold up over time, I would think eventually that lever the strap hangs on to would get loose and start bending when you don't want it to. Or if it's just going to be too hard to get the hang of, tell me that too. Thanks for your time!

jeffford likes this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't do it, man! Especially not on payments. At least wait a year until you can already play something other than pentatonic scales! 1700 bucks, man. You hack away at it for a year, decide you'll never "get there", and if you try to sell it, you're underwater.

I'm about 0-6 on these "talk me out of it" threads; I dunno what it is...:(
    :D

6stringcowboy likes this.
  3. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Don't do it! As Jupiter aptly points out you're instantly underwater if you buy this guitar. You'll never get your money out of this. Save your money and buy a good used one. Never use credit cards or make payments on gear - a totally bad idea.

And plus, you shouldn't buy an importantly significant guitar without playing it and feeling something like a,"this was meant for me" or "this has to be mine" feeling. You can't possibly be so lucky that you'd get that instant bond from buying a new guitar sight unseen. I've been known to buy and sell knock around Strats sight unseen, but anytime I buy an "important" guitar I look around and play all the guitars I can find (of the type I'm looking for) in my area. I suggest you'd be ultimately happier if you do the same.

4. tlandonevans

tlandonevans Tele-Meister

This is the best argument I've seen so far. The one that makes me weary of purchasing. Unfortunately, I can't find any guitars like this anywhere around to try out.

As far as paying with the credit card, I absolutely don't see the issue there. It's no interest payments, they're just breaking down the cost over 36 years. So rather than saving 50 bucks a month for three years then being able to get the guitar, I get the guitar upfront and do the same 50 bucks a month for three years. (I'm on the same deal right now with our PA system, and it was one of The best decisions I ever made.)

5. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

tlandonevans, this is something like a question you hear on Dave Ramsey's radio show.

I'd hate to see you get underwater with this purchase, for one thing. The problem there is that if some unforeseen expense occurs in the next three years, you still owe the credit card company the money. If your second passion is buying gear,
    think of all of the gear you could purchase with that much money that you could probably flip and make some profit.

A b-bender is a very specialized guitar with (it seems) a limited resale market. Like a 12-string guitar or resophonic guitar, unless it has a place in your sound, it can end up spending a lot of time in its case. Since your playing is limited right now, a b-bender isn't likely to help you progress. The b-bender players that seem to get the most out of the instrument are players with an good fundamental understanding of music theory or lacking that, they instinctively know where to use bends from playing music for a long time.

Okay, let me give you two different scenarios: Say somebody likes the sound of pedal steel guitar, and finds a good one for
    $2700. Should they buy it, or should they instead learn a little dobro or lap steel fundamentals (such as bar control, vibrato, bar slants) before taking on the challenge of pedal steel?

Another scenario would be for me to buy a Floyd Rose-equipped seven string guitar for my friend's 13-year old son who started guitar last December. Is this more likely to help him or distract him on his way to learning guitar?

So, I'd say wait until you're more sure of your abilities. In the meantime, immerse yourself with YouTube clips and recordings and familiarize yourself with recordings that use b-benders. They make a cool sound, but used sparingly.
    Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

Tele1966 likes this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Not me, can't do it.
    I love B benders, all of em'.
    It'll broaden your musical horizons.
    The secret is knowing when, where and how much to use it.
    Do it, and good luck!

7. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Start a thread where everyone names a guitarist who got along fine without one
    I'll start
    Wes Montgomery

Tele1966 and 4 Cat Slim like this.
  8. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Don't

Tele1966 likes this.
  9. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

Do not buy a Fender boat anchor.
    For a fraction of the cost you can have a Hip-Shot string puller installed in any tele you want.

ltdave32 likes this.
  10. Miff

Miff Tele-Meister

Dave Edmunds gave up playing the B-bender after he saw himself doing it in a Rockpile documentary and was horrified by the way he moved and how it made him look :)

11. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

I've had a ton of success with my EHX PitchFork. I set it to the M2 setting with the toggle switch in up position and hit the latch button and it sounds perfect for faux b and g benders. It'll only set ya back about $150 in comparison to the actual contraption installed on the guitar and the PitchFork can do so much more than that. With an expression pedal or expression knob you can control how fast the bend glides from one note to the next! I don't know if the Digitech Whammy or BOSS pitch shifters can do a one full step bend the way the EHX product does but I highly recommend trying a pedal first for these bender sounds...you'll have less string breakage, more control than just a b or g bender....it bends any and all strings, and it's far cheaper to try out and probably easier to use (though I've never actually gotten to use a bender installed on an electric guitar yet).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  12. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

The Fender B Bender is a cool guitar, but you really should see if you can track one down to play before paying full retail for it. Every one I have played over the last few years has been pretty heavy and had a bone white neck.

I've seen them used around here for anywhere from $900 to $1200, which means you are financing significant depreciation.

If you already have a tele, the hipshot, rolling bender, and slingshot are going to be much cheaper alternatives. And if you really have to have a new tele, finance a MIM Standard, Baja, 50s or 60s Classic, or even an American Special, then save up the cash to have a bender instaled. You'll end up with less immediate depreciation, less debt, and a better chance at owning a guitar that is more to your liking.

13. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I've had mine, a Hip Shot, for almost 2 years. I have yet to use it in any music situation. Mostly because I see it as being used in a country type song(s) and I'm not in a country band. Maybe someday...

The Hip Shot is an ingenious gadget, and is well worth the $$, and doesn't require any kind of serious mods to your guitar.

14. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

It would be rather hypocritical of this g.a.s.-man to dissuade you from a bender that keeps on delivering. :confused:

15. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I ain't gonna talk you out of one, either. Myself, I owned a '96 RI Paisley with a B/G bender setup for nearly 18 years and it was so much fun to play!!

16. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

When you can play all the notes that aren't bent in this video, you can buy one. In the meantime, set aside $50 a month and you wont have to buy it on credit.

bricksnbeatles likes this.
  17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

No. Stop. Don't do. You'll live with regrets. Regrets you didn't get a guit-steel.

18. RyanTGuitarist

RyanTGuitarist TDPRI Member

To be honest, it's your money, and you're entitled to spend it how you want, so I say go ahead if you want it.

19. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    talk me out heh ? ...

Well it's a wonderful guitar, and it has a b bender, man I love sunburst finishes, us made ..you need to have it.
    You can't pass on a deal like that, the price is good, the guitar is awesome, it's the next tele in the equation.
    Pull the trigger, get her before it's to late ...

Have I talked you out ? :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.