1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk me out of a PRS hollowbody, please

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by nosuch, Sep 25, 2020.

1. wolfman2020

wolfman2020 TDPRI Member

Just make sure you put your hands on it 25 years ago when PRS gave every rockstar a few of them it made me and everyone I know want because they must be special I must have tried 10 of them and none were for me with wide thin wide fat and all the other options so I blew it off and a month later saw a used CE 24 bolt on neck and picked it up and left the store with They put me in jail for 5 ears for walking out the just Bullshooting y’all I bought it and love it don’t buy one online
    not all of them

2. wolfman2020

wolfman2020 TDPRI Member

He said the SE’s are made over there don’t they still make the regular prs in the USA

3. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

It’s a gigantic pile of garbage. You won’t like it. You’ll hate it. It’ll give you warts and a bleeding ulcer. You’ll be less attractive to whatever type of person you want to be attractive to. It will make your coffee/tea taste awful; every time. You’ll have splinters in your fingers and painful infected cuticles Every time you play. You won’t be able to hear what you really play; you’ll only be able to hear that Sarah McLachlin song from the dog abuse commercials. Your steaks will always be overcooked and your potatoes undercooked. Your fuel economy will be reduced by half... weekly. All future flights will be overbooked. Your grocery bags will tear. You’ll go through puberty again, but without the teenage energy; just the smells/awkwardness/squeaky voice. Do. Not. Buy. That. Guitar.

tfarny, DHart and MatsEriksson like this.
  4. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

What do you attribute the “in-tune-ness” of PRS guitars to? I’m curious. I’ve done battle with a few guitars (edit: not PRS) that never sounded in tune to me, despite perfect tuning and intonation. I should add that my “choking” the neck and bending strings unintentionally has been the culprit, but not entirely. I know the angle of strings over the nut, and the nut itself, can be issues. An associate of mine went the Buzz Feiten route to correct tuning issues. That seems like too much trouble to me.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    MatsEriksson likes this.
  5. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Don't buy one. They suck.

I'm tryin' here.

Digital Larry likes this.
  6. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

Basically my main gripe with most PRS is that they want to - just - flaunt, and strut their tops. There's too much wood from the bridge and back to the end of the guitar. Throws it off out to the left so to speak. Balance jinxed, as someone already pointed out earlier*. Granted, a lot of other brands has this too, but the only PRS for me where the volume control isn't getting in the way for my strumming, and picking style is their Santana Signature model, and that comes at a whopping 12.600 USD.... :eek:o_O

But if anyone else is all game with that, I have no objection, go ahead and buy it. I ain't going to talk anyone out of it. If it just speaks to you while playing in and everything gels, the guitar can cost 100 USD or 12.600 USD, go ahead. Not my money, it's yours, and you should be very welcome to do whatever you like with your own money.

7. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I believe Paul Reed Smith has said he never gave any guitars away: he would lend them to established guitarists, but if they wanted to keep one then they paid.

wolfman2020 likes this.
  8. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

A lot of returned PRS we had, when I worked in a music store that sold them, just for the same reason. It was always returned because of tuning issues. It was at the end of 90s beginnings of 00s, we had to return them to the wholesaler and get new ones. It was only those with FR or locking nut systems. However, this was way before they turned to Bluff Feiten system (as I would rather call it), and they did have some intonation issues all the way through. And it wasn't the SE or Asian stuff. It was a 2 and a half grand, and above priced guitars, and that was at the end of 90s. I remember we had at least a dozen ones, and then we communicated with other dealers throughout the country and they reported the same thing. After a while, PRS guitars as a brand, disappeared from music stores, or definitely went under the radar, because in Sweden there's a whole another culture surrounding guitars, anyway. I wondered this in later years, when I left the business and I asked some of my old friends still working in the stores that was able to survive the internet stores, and they just said "there's really no one asking for them anymore, they're not in peoples eyes, no matter how good they are". There's just not much need, and people are not asking for/about them.

This with the tuning is that I have my suspicion that early on, Bluff Feiten did not have any means to tell on a guitar if it had BFTS or not. Later on they put their name on the nut, and it had that overhang. So you could tell it. But to have that "tacit knowledge" that you must intonate and tune in a special way, was not written on our noses/foreheads. So you'd have to guess, and if you tuned up and intonated the regular way it ended up sounding a bit sour all over the place. And you just ended up scratching your head. Suhr, Tom Anderson, Washburn a o weres the other brands that hooked on the BFTS bandwagon, and I agree, it's too much trouble. Going overboard. But BFTS is another thread, another time.

lil scotty likes this.
  9. dasherf17

dasherf17 TDPRI Member

25 mi SE of Rogers (South Minneapolis)...
    OK, don't do it...buy a Tele...

10. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

Talk me out of a PRS hollowbody, please

"YOU!... IN THE PRS HOLLOWBODY! QUIT FONDLING THE BIRDS, AND COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS RAISED, WHERE WE CAN SEE THEM! YOU HAVE ONE MINUTE!"
    (you're holding the neck all wrong :cry:)

11. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

PRS makes some of the best guitars in the world. They play so good, sound good and look so good. If you owned one before you died you would have a great time picking it up and playing it. You would walk into the room and it would be sitting there on the stand looking so beautiful and then you would pick it up and hold it and be inspired to play every day. You would probably get even better at playing. Learn new songs. The opposite sex would find out that you own one and would want to be with you. But you would miss a lot of TV. So you should not get it.

bullfrogblues likes this.
  12. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

If you haven’t passed the bar exam you should not have one.

lil scotty likes this.
  13. wolfman2020

wolfman2020 TDPRI Member

Yeah I guess he gave them away Isn’t exactly the way it worked out because he got to use them as write offs for advertisement, so he made money off of them just not from the artist on the first round

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.