1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk me out of a PRS hollowbody, please

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by nosuch, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Yuro

Yuro TDPRI Member

Oh...I don't think anyone has brought this up.

The PRS Hollowbody I have isn't a true hollow body. It's an arch-top semi-hollow because the bridge is bolted into a block below the top.

A true hollow body guitar has no block under the top and the tailpiece is either some variation of trapeze or Bigsby fastened to the outside, not to the top. Bridge floats on the top, held down by the strings.

My PRS Hollowbody (I don't know if it's a 1 or a 2 or really what the difference is) is over 2" deep on the sidewall. The workmanship of the arched top and bottom is fantastic and the top is beyond pretty...but it really plays like a semi-hollow 335 or something...It has a little more resonance in the low notes due to the deep body, but it doesn't have that floating bridge hollow body thing going like an old Gretsch.

This isn't all bad. The feedback factor is controllable with my PRS and I've had a lot of fun with that. Sustain is also better than with a floating bridge...unless you're playing the acoustic feedback). With a floating bridge, you can get some pretty out of control string resonances at even mid-volumes. Practice with that for a year and you can develop some very cool techniques.

So...depends on what you want to do with this thing.

dogrocketp likes this.
  2. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That looks pretty sweet :)

Wait, oh....

Don't do it, that looks awful!

jays0n likes this.
  3. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

Another vote for “get it” from a lowly S2 owner. Can’t go wrong really, unless your wife finds out.

dogrocketp likes this.
  4. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Get it.

5. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

I’ve just sold my McCarty model: it hurt my back as hell when playing seated because the waist of the guitar is too far forward the neck, so that you always have to keep it from falling backwards.
    The hollowbody has the same body shape.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  6. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

I have one of the new SE Hollowbody with Piezo models. It's an amazing guitar, sounds great, really light and plays effortlessly. I say buy one!

7. Stax1

Stax1 Tele-Meister

I've only played a few PRS guitars; one was a lower end SE, another was some 'private stock' bling blang blong thing. I gotta say - I just can't get into them.. PRS seem to make guitars that just feel too perfect for my liking. I enjoy having to 'fight' a little with a tele, the playing 'conversation' between instrument and player is just way more interesting on a tele, strat, les paul, etc, etc (the standards).
    That 'conversation' with a PRS has been like talking with a tax expert..

So my vote is PASS. Go try out some Gretsch guitars, maybe a Deusenberg..? (though some of those feel a bit meh also). Or rule the world and buy a Rickenbacker!

8. dogrocketp

dogrocketp TDPRI Member

I’m 12 deep in PRS. Sold all my other guitars except 2 deep archtops and a bass. Some PRS are merely good guitars, but the ones I kept are exceptional. I’m not a lawyer, doctor, cork sniffer or engineer. I’m a formerly pro guitar player with a degree from Berklee and over 50 years twangin. I can’t play most other brands of guitars, because they sound inherently out of tune to my ears. I’m not willing to knock other brands like a lot of other trolls, and I say get it if you love it. Try the SE Hollowbody piezo. I didn’t ever plan on buying a Chinese guitar, but I think this is the best thin hollow body I ever played, and I spent most of my life on hollows and semi-hollows. The thing about PRS is you can’t hide bad technique because they’re so clear. Now tell me they’re soul less, but you better be able to outplay me.

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's a PRS, what do I need to do? Slap you?

10. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

They're awesome guitars... exceptionally well made. My SE Semi-hollow was made by World Musical Instrument Co. in So. Korea for PRS and to their specs. WMIC is known for exceptionally high-quality work. Magnificently done. Better fret finishing than I've seen on any of my Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, etc. A flawless instrument. Is it my #1 guitar?... it is not. But I love playing it and the 85/15 S pickups sound great, esp in split-coil mode.

Well worth checking out a PRS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put the covers on the pickups, only because I didn't like the looks of the zebra bobbins.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    bullfrogblues and AAT65 like this.
  11. Stax1

Stax1 Tele-Meister

This is precisely the reason I can't get into them - but I don't think its a problem with PRS, its my defective playing/technique/skillz :)
    Even their cheap ones feel really well made, I just need something to beat up on (hence why I like teles!)...

There's a reason the pros love PRS - Knopfler, Santana, John Mayer, etc.

12. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I only have one PRS; it's an early SE. Moon inlays, nice top, two knob, decent pickups; it fills a void.
    See where I'm going?
    It's not really my cup of tea. I bought it on closeout and I'm glad to have it, but it doesn't get played much.
    Find one like you described and play it until you are tired. If you still want it, buy it.
    Talk you out of it? Why would anyone do that.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  13. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

Looks ghastly. Don't buy it.

14. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Simple answer to the OP....
    No.

You want one.
    You can afford it.
    Go buy one.

Life's too short...

saltydg0089 and MatsEriksson like this.
  15. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

Well, I've got some good news for you Dog. You didn't buy a Chinese guitar. SE's are made in Korea (some are now made in Indonesia). ;)

EDIT: :oops:Vintageampz has corrected me, and ruined my perception of PRS in the process. Why have you forsaken me, PRS?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  16. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

Quote: "The SE Hollowbody Standard and its cousin the Hollowbody II are built in China at a facility run by PRS partner Core-Tek Musical Instruments. (ie PRS DON'T MAKE IT) (. As with so many PRS SE guitars, the SE Hollowbody Standard offers visible clues about its down-market price positioning or overseas origins.Feb 6, 2020"

You need a BETTER reason??? (besides that EVERY PRS is a copycat of someone else's guitar making idea.)

17. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

Dang- I didn't know that. For some reason that really bothers me to find out that PRS makes (or contracts) some guitars to China. :cry:

18. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

:rolleyes:

19. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

The PRS SE guitars are all made in the Far East: the solid body and semi-hollow electrics are made in Korea or Indonesia (my SE245 is Korean), while the SE acoustics and SE hollowbodies are made in China.
    Any PRS other than an SE (in other words if it’s a Core, S2 or bolt-on) is made in the PRS factory in Maryland, USA. That includes the (non-SE) Hollowbody and Hollowbody II.
    I believe that all SEs still go through PRS USA or PRS EU for setup and final check, which no doubt helps keep the quality standards up.

20. wolfman2020

wolfman2020 TDPRI Member

Just make sure you put your hands on it 25 years ago when PRS gave every rockstar a few of them it made me and everyone I know want because they must be special I must have tried 10 of them and none were for me with wide thin wide fat and all the other options so I blew it off and a month later saw a used CE 24 bolt on neck and picked it up and left the store with They put me in jail for 5 ears for walking out the just Bullshooting y’all I bought it and love it don’t buy one online

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.