Talk me into, or out of, getting a tube amp

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
I would pass on that particular Monoprice amp and the reason is for an additional $100 you can get the Monoprice 15 watts guitar amp. It's tube, el84s, comes with spring reverb, full tone and volume controls. Plus it has a 15 watts/1watt output push button switch and comes with a reasonable Celestion speaker

I've had it for about 3 years and is, by far, the best money I've spent on gear.

Good luck in your search, keep us posted!

ballynally2

Tele-Holic
Thanks! I was over in your thread, (thought I’d get out of your hair! ;) )

Most of the comments were pro-tube; but the other comments about not needing it, not noticing the difference, seemed to resonate more with me. I’m very practical, love my features and simplicity (of the Champion) and really don’t think I could tell the difference either! I definitely feel the urge to just own some tubes, but wonder if that honeymoon will fade and I won’t feel much of a difference.

I should be practicing anyway! 😂
Just to let you know, i have both the Champion 20 AND the VHT Special 6 (modded with the tonestack bypassed). I like the champion 20 for the easy effect/amp variation options. If i dont push it too hard the sound is fine up to a point as the speaker/cab combo is not that great. And nice in a home jam even. Smalk and compact. I really like it.
But...and here it comes, the VHT Special 6 displays the classic pushed valve sound you get when preamp meets output stage and produce the non linear extra harmonics. Now, my Special 6 is a head into a pine cab with a 10" Eminence alnico blue frame so SHOULD sound better. Plus, it has a low power option which is really important in my home application.
I know i am happier with valves. And 'riding the guitar volume pot' is like basic 101 guitar playing technique. Set your amp to 'sweet spot' and go riding. You can NOT do that with SS.
I really like the Vox ac4 and i recommend the blue 10" one. Not the white or the new 12". Unlike the Special 6 with the 6l6 which can be loud and clean (ish) the Vox ac4 is much more limited with 1 el84. Glorious as it is it does not hold up in the clean setting for very long but that is exactly why it works so well at home or home jam..
So, it depends on application. I also have a card size Quilter Microblock45. Very loud. No speaker so have to take that with me as well as effects.

Last edited:

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
Just to let you know, i have both the Champion 20 AND the VHT Special 6 (modded with the tonestack bypassed). I like the champion 20 for the easy effect/amp variation options. If i dont push it too hard the sound is fine up to a point as the speaker/cab combo is not that great. And nice in a home jam even. Smalk and compact. I really like it.
But...and here it comes, the VHT Special 6 displays the classic pushed valve sound you get when preamp meets output stage and produce the non linear extra harmonics. Now, my Special 6 is a head into a pine cab with a 10" Eminence alnico blue frame so SHOULD sound better. Plus, it has a low power option which is really important in my home application.
I know i am happier with valves. And 'riding the guitar volume pot' is like basic 101 guitar playing technique. Set your amp to 'sweet spot' and go riding. You can NOT do that with SS.
I really like the Vox ac4 and i recommend the blue 10" one. Not the white or the new 12". Unlike the Special 6 with the 6l6 which can be loud and clean (ish) the Vox ac4 is much more limited with 1 el84. Glorious as it is it does not hold up in the clean setting for very long but that is exactly why it works so well at home or home jam..
So, it depends on application. I also have a card size Quilter Microblock45. Very loud. No speaker so have to take that with me as well as effects.
I think you saw I did end up with the vox ac4. (The white one!) I’m happy with it and glad I got it. I didn’t test out a whole lot of amps before buying, but definitely happy that I took the plunge into buying tubes.

The Champion lives upstairs with my nicer guitar. I end up using that more often, just because it’s easy to get to and the headphones. The Vox lives downstairs with my second guitar, and I can really crank it down there! albeit less frequently.