1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk Me Into (or out of) a Universal Audio OX

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Turtleneck, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

I've been lurking on one of these for a while, I want to get Marshall sounds out of my Carr amp at low volume.

Anyone care to comment on this piece of equipment?

2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Looks like fun, though there are many, many cheaper attenuators if that's all you're after. This thing looks super-useful for recording & kind of overkill for live stuff.

3. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Maybe check out the Fryette Power station as well. Or their other box. Somewhat different applications but might suit your needs as much as the Ox.

Cheers,
    Geoff

PigBoy likes this.
  4. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

You have been on the fence so long because it is overly expensive for getting the volume of an amp down. If you can order parts and solder, look at JohnH's DIY Attenuator. It probably works as well as anything else available, it's openly designed with attenuation curves provided so that you know what you will be getting in terms of performance, and build reports indicate that it shouldn't cost much more than $100.

5. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

I like the cabinet modeling aspect, I want a low level Marshall sound really....?

6. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I thought the boss tae sounded better in the many yt video demos. Plus I prefer the variable level and not the preset clicks the ox uses.

7. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

If you are going that far you might as well just use a modeler for the whole shebang. And no, it isn't going to sound like a cranked up Marshall at low volume, even if it is a Marshall. Pick your gimmicks and their consequences. None of it will sound like a cranked up Marshall though. But in many cases, what people think is a cranked up Marshall on a recording is actually a small amp turned up, often not a Marshall at all, because the person listening doesn't really know what a cranked up Marshall sounds like anyway.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Turtleneck likes this.
  8. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I've been experimenting around with a Fractal FM3, which includes 250 or so amps including any kind of Marshall you want, plus whatever cab you like, plus effects of every stripe. I have to say it's pretty convincing, even at bedroom levels -- and cheaper than the OX box. But there's a wait -- 8 months in my case.

9. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If it means anything, it seems many of the guitar session guys I see on YT use these (Jeff McErlain and others), and also it shows up in a lot of the TrueFire videos. It seems to allow them to use their favorite amps with close to the same sound captured for recording. Based on its non-promotional use by these folks (as far as I can tell), that's a pretty good endorsement. Keep us posted if you get it and how it works out!
    (And thumbs up to Nigel Tufnel in your avatar there.)

Turtleneck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.