Talk me into a Bullet Tele

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
I don't buy things unless I'm sure I want them. If someone needs to convince me, I don't buy.

Wait two weeks and see if you are still thinking about it. If so, buy it. If not, enjoy what you already have.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
I don't buy things unless I'm sure I want them. If someone needs to convince me, I don't buy.

Wait two weeks and see if you are still thinking about it. If so, buy it. If not, enjoy what you already have.
That's good advice and what I ended up doing. I moved on and bought a new amp and pedal instead.;) I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal on a used MIM Fender, since it will be closer to what I really want.

Hodgo88

Tele-Meister
That does seem like it would be a pretty cool guitar--50's style body with pau ferro board--but on the other hand, if you don't care about the name on the headstock, you could get two (or more) differently configured Teles for the same money (or less). My Squier Tele Bullet, Squier Cabronita, and used Squier Tele Standard came out to a grand total of $502.

If you already are okay with buying 2, you should just get a CV and a RW necked Tele and swap the necks. But that is more expensive than what I initially proposed, which is buying a CV, selling the neck and using the proceeds to buy a replacement Squier/WD/Allparts neck.

stepvan

Tele-Afflicted
I say go for it. Even if you mod it a little bit, your still only out a couple hundred bucks. I put a set of Fender “Original Vintage” pickups, full size pots, orange drop cap, and a 4 way switch in mine. Great guitar!

View attachment 994355
Funny having one arrive today from G.C., already have the lake placid blue, bought the butterscotch with maple board. Already ordered Alnico 2 pickups from guitar madness, tuners and going to get a 4-way setup (need to check parts drawers, likely have all that is needed to complete that part of the job. If the quality is even half as good as the first one it will be a keeper

stepvan

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah... I could go for a Bullet myself if I wanted something to tinker with. They're not half bad for the money.
The factory strings are crap though. Be mentally prepared to replace those as job one.
Jobs 2-to-infinity may vary depending on which corners were cut when finishing your specific guitar.

Oh... but don't cheap out and get an Affinity instead as those things are really a bunch of sorry bottomfeeders.
Really the strings are bad!?!😕🤣

hdvades

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
A Fender Jimmie Page Mirror Telecaster minus the mirrors. Yeah, this is an old thread, but the OP posted on Thursday. Had an American Special in Olympic White awhile back. Should have kept it and found rosewood neck for it. Keep looking. Good luck.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
A Fender Jimmie Page Mirror Telecaster minus the mirrors. Yeah, this is an old thread, but the OP posted on Thursday. Had an American Special in Olympic White awhile back. Should have kept it and found rosewood neck for it. Keep looking. Good luck.
That is exactly what I want. Just need Squier or MIM to make one.

ricardo1912

Friend of Leo's
I finally got around to modding my Bullet tele. Bone nut, black guard, Vanson paf style 'bucker in the neck, paired with Wilkinson's take on a broadcaster.
Great little guitar that plays well and really sounds good, for not much over £200 total. I may change the pots if at some point but so far so good.

Attachments

• DSC_0391.JPG
    DSC_0391.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 13

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Holic
That's good advice and what I ended up doing. I moved on and bought a new amp and pedal instead.;) I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal on a used MIM Fender, since it will be closer to what I really want.
I saw the thread a few weeks ago and thought better of sharing my opinions. Anyhoo, sounds like you've decided to do what I would have said, anyway, so, I'll share now.

I have nothing against budget end gear.
Where I have reservations is...
The majority of that end of the market uses basswood for the bodies, regardless of what their marketting bumph says. Nothing against basswood, either - EVH used it for his guitars.
Trouble is, most people buy one and then get the screwdriver and soldering iron out. Basswood, whilst it's good base for making a body, is relatively soft, so if you're in the habit of unscrewing and screwing things to it, it doesn't take long before the holes get loose. If it's a Tele, and you switch to a top load bridge unit, you're putting approx 110ibs of pull on the mounting screws, which isn't there with a through body stringing unit. A couple of pickup swaps and you'll be getting towards a position where your strings will be pulling the screws out of the body.
Similarly the neck holes. If they loosen up from having neck off a couple of times, you'll start having issues with the neck moving.

To summarise, if you're going to buy one, don't dismantle it too often and save all the original parts, because if you decide to sell it, the only way you'll get your money back is by selling the 'upgrades' as parts.

In your shoes, I'd keep 'em peeled for a used Baja 60s Tele.

Frozensoda

Tele-Meister
Bedroom player here.
GC had the butterscotch Telecasters on sale for a similar price earlier this year, I went to three different stores and found one that agreed with me and purchased on the spot.
I do not regret the purchase at all.
Buy it.

thesamhill

Tele-Afflicted
Trouble is, most people buy one and then get the screwdriver and soldering iron out. Basswood, whilst it's good base for making a body, is relatively soft, so if you're in the habit of unscrewing and screwing things to it, it doesn't take long before the holes get loose.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

I'm good with my Bullet Tele as is (or I was good with it, before my guitar-thieving teenager claimed it as hers, lol). But there ARE a lot of people who talk about these as great mod platforms, and this is worth a think if you're looking at it from that angle.

I suppose you could do the toothpick trick (band name alert?) to some extent but as you said- if you're planning on modding often, and prob esp swapping around necks, this might not be ideal.

Point well made!

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Basswood, whilst it's good base for making a body, is relatively soft, so if you're in the habit of unscrewing and screwing things to it, it doesn't take long before the holes get loose. If it's a Tele, and you switch to a top load bridge unit, you're putting approx 110ibs of pull on the mounting screws, which isn't there with a through body stringing unit. A couple of pickup swaps and you'll be getting towards a position where your strings will be pulling the screws out of the body.

Current production Squier Bullets use poplar, not basswood.

Tim E

TDPRI Member
I saw the thread a few weeks ago and thought better of sharing my opinions. Anyhoo, sounds like you've decided to do what I would have said, anyway, so, I'll share now.

I have nothing against budget end gear.
Where I have reservations is...
The majority of that end of the market uses basswood for the bodies, regardless of what their marketting bumph says. Nothing against basswood, either - EVH used it for his guitars.
Trouble is, most people buy one and then get the screwdriver and soldering iron out. Basswood, whilst it's good base for making a body, is relatively soft, so if you're in the habit of unscrewing and screwing things to it, it doesn't take long before the holes get loose. If it's a Tele, and you switch to a top load bridge unit, you're putting approx 110ibs of pull on the mounting screws, which isn't there with a through body stringing unit. A couple of pickup swaps and you'll be getting towards a position where your strings will be pulling the screws out of the body.
Similarly the neck holes. If they loosen up from having neck off a couple of times, you'll start having issues with the neck moving.

To summarise, if you're going to buy one, don't dismantle it too often and save all the original parts, because if you decide to sell it, the only way you'll get your money back is by selling the 'upgrades' as parts.

In your shoes, I'd keep 'em peeled for a used Baja 60s Tele.

This is pretty silly. First of all, none of these issues are basswood issues. Especially once you mention the neck, unless you found a basswood neck somewhere. Second, worn screw holes are a thing that can be dealt with, and even prevented with a modicum of care. Third and probably most obvious, if you're worried about resale value, don't buy a Bullet.