Talk About Your Last Gig Here

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 9, 2015.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

big house party last night, fifty people, more like a house concert, lots of country gospel, Eva Cassidy and Sweet Honey in the Rock covers, country favorites, sing-alongs, originals, few Italian chestnuts from the Fifties, even a Macedonian folk song

yours truly was guitar and bass for most of it, and sound for all of it with the new EON610 speakers and the Yamaha 12-channel mixer, all of which worked like a charm

didn't get out of there till 1:30 am, and it was snowing!

had a solo debut of sorts singing Thirty Again (Haggard), Folsom, In the Jailhouse Now, and Some Things Never Get Old by Bill Anderson -- those were all crowd pleasers

it's always rewarding to hear new people, too: I made some new musical friends who in an earlier time could probably be making records

there's loads of talent out there, people, as you well know

house parties are a good way of finding them out

2. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played a wedding reception tonight at a local Garden Center. Beautiful facility. Load in was a bit of a beating in that no vehicles are allowed on the grounds and the paved path from the parking area ended at a flight of stairs....but it wasn’t too bad. We didn’t need that much PA to cover the gig, so we pared it down a little. Super easy gig: we were only contracted for two hours, with a DJ playing for another hour after us. The bride gave us a bunch of songs from our website song list, so we pretty much just ran down the list and then the gig was over.

Super nice folks...The bride was from Australia and the groom was from Texas, and the guests appeared to a pretty even mix of Australians and Texans. They served some great BBQ and were kind enough to offer the band some. Like I said, really nice folks.

The venue manager said she really enjoyed the band and that she’d put us on her “preferred vendor list”. Maybe it was just nice thing to say, but I really hope she does....the venue is about 15 minutes from my house.

I played my 52 AVRI through my Vibroverb RI.

[​IMG]

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I just got home from co-hosting a open mic/jam session at Kyle city hall.
    It was fun!
    All the participants were on their game!
    Afterward my co-hosts and I had a great Mexican food
    dinner.
    I had a memorable musical/social aftrrnoon!

4. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played a corporate gig with the Zydeco band at a hotel/conference center in Allen, Texas last night. Gig was originally supposed to be outside under a patio cover, but due to severe weather forecasts it was moved to the marble, glass and hardwood lobby...see where I’m going? The party planners and event coordinators were asking us to turn down before we even played a note lol, but we were restrained and kept the volume down (once the lobby filled up with people it wasn’t too bad). We were pretty much a background thing, but there were a couple of dancers and a few folks standing around listening. The people in charge liked it, so that’s all that matters.

Played my 52 AVRI through the blackface Deluxe.

5. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

Played a local watering hole...great crowd with lots of good friends; had a great time and got paid more than the usual. Probably the first show in 30 years I've played with nothing on the floor, as in no pedals. Just my Hot Rod, cable, and VL-501. Didn't even have reverb, just the two knobs on the guitar to fiddle with. It was glorious. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just home from playing a Bedlam House Band gig at Opium, a bar / club in Edinburgh — first time there for us, hopefully not the last. Good sized stage (comfortable for a 6-piece) and a good sound-man, though I don’t think it’s the greatest PA going by comments from friends in the audience.
    It was a curious sort of a gig — very quiet most of the evening and then just as we were starting to lose a bit of momentum, with 3 - 4 songs to go a great crowd came in and we ended up playing to a floor full of dancing singing people calling out for more. Which was a great buzz!

I played my Am Elite Tele through my AC15C1 (as usual). The venue could have provided an amp but I’d rather bring along the old reliable Vox, I’m comfortable with what it does. I also played my lap steel on a few songs and that was well-received, so I’m pleased that is getting established as part of the band’s arsenal. I had my in-ear monitors again which (a) helped cut the impact of the onstage volume (which was high) and (b) is definitely better for my confidence singing backing vocals. It’s just a bit annoying being tied down by the headphone cable: maybe it’s time to look for a really long extension...

7. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

9. brookdalebill

I just got home from my regular first Saturday gig at Kent Black’s BBQ in San Marcos.
    This trio is really getting tight and “played in”.
    The crowd was generous and attentive.
    We tried several new songs, and pulled them all off!
    Frank, Billy and I sounded our best.
    Lastly, the kind staff and management loaded us up with their superlative brisket and ribs.
    Yes!

10. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

11. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played the “Eddie Vs tour” this weekend with the R&B band; Friday in Ft Worth, Saturday in Dallas. Good crowds, above average tips. We broke in some new tunes, “What you won’t do for Love”, “Lowdown”, “Sarah Smile”, couple others...not necessarily tunes I would of brought to the table, but all are tunes we’ve had requested in the past, so good for the tip jar.

Other than that, not much to report.

I played the ES-333 Friday and the AV64 Saturday, both nights thru the Princeton Reverb.

12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

image.jpeg Just got back from playing a new-to-us Venue.
    Two Hours, two sets, it went quite well despite my reservations about integrating with their PA.
    Ran my Mackie in to their mains. Brought our own monitors.

Not only that, check out the way cool amp stand I got to use on my Vibrochamp!
    Honest, made me feel like a Kid again.
    They didn't have a sippy cup for my Party Liquor.
    Oh well....

dougstrum, teletimetx, markal and 6 others like this.
  13. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

Today was my first real solo gig since quitting the trio in April. 3-hour Cinco de Mayo thing @ a local brewery. So usual mix of swing, blues, folk, early country & rock with some songs from Mexico, some hits by folks with Mexican-American heritage, e.g. Freddie Fender, Chris Montez, Linda Ronstadt. Poquita Fe was my fav 5 de M song of the day.

Also a live sound experiment of sorts. I forgot my tube amp @ a solo thing back in December and darned if it didn't kinda work. So today - altho I love my amp - I decided to approach more consciously. I ran the Gretsch semi-hollow, a 5-string banjo w/ humbucker (actually also a semi-hollow) & a parlor w/ soundhole humbucker through the same ampless setup = Fishman preamp/direct box/EQ/compressor >> MXR script phase 90 >> MXR M77 OD >> Lotus Pedals Trem >> Fishman Fish Stick. Really not bad at all. Nervous but really pleased with the results, including for the Gretsch. I think this is my minimal rig for a while.

EDIT: Teaching the audience the lyrics to Tequila was great. Tequila. Those are the lyrics.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

15. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Did our out-of-town gig in Austin, Sat. at Central Market, Texas Community Music Festival. Hour gig, outdoor pavilion, fun crowd, fine weather. Monitors weren't the best, but we've all played together for years, so no problem.

Tele through small pedalboard to SF Princeton. Sweet!

My wife was there and took this photo - the red tele...
    IMG_5994.JPG

16. brookdalebill

I love that venue, great food too!
    Glad y’all had fun!

teletimetx likes this.
  17. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Batesville Day was Saturday. I lead house band for local blues society. My wife drives the truck
    with grandkids in the parade. Thought I should start the truck before heading out, the battery was dead:cry:I jumped it and headed out. Of course I was down at the field getting set to play, and a local hot rodder bump started the truck at the beginning of the parade:cool:

The music went well bass, drums, harmonica, tele, and LP. A bass player I work with was there and helped
    us balance the sound. Rain held off~but man was it hot! I had a list of songs and LP player was going to sing about half of them; he didn't feel like singing so I had to do all the singing. That streched me a bit. By the second cake walk we had lost harp and LP player to the heat. I was relieved to have a sax player show up, we don't get to play together very often so it was nice to do last set with him.

Unfortunately I was sick Sunday. Maybe it was jumping around in the heat all Saturday afternoon or maybe the black bean burgers:confused:

18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

When singing for kids, instead of "Tequila" I sing "Tortillas!"

ndcaster, dannyh, dougstrum and 2 others like this.
  19. markal

markal Tele-Holic

The InBetweens played a four-set gig at the Platte River Grille in Littleton yesterday afternoon. They have a sprawling series of decks outside and it was quite crowded on a beautiful Cinco de Mayo afternoon. Biggest audience we’ve had yet. The stage is covered so we were out of the sun, which was good. Gig went well. People were pretty attentive, and we got decent applause especially for our more recognizable songs and some of our blues songs. The bar paid us (not much) so we assumed they wouldn’t want us to put out tip jar, but eventually we learned they are ok with it. We didn’t have a guitar case (all gig bags) so next time.

Super tiring to play for four hours! I sing about a quarter of the songs, backing on a bunch of others and generally play a bunch of lead and rhythm guitar throughout. I was beat!

We also played one of my originals for the first time. It was a bit rough as we hadn’t rehearsed it much, but my wife said it sounded ok.

We definitely need to upgrade our PA soon.

But they liked us and want us to come back so I’m happy.

I played my standard tele and my PRS S2 Singlecut through my Mesa Express Plus 5:50, with a small pedal board. First gig with a new WAmple Euphoria pedal and I love it.

My buddy played his American Special Strat and a Les Paul thru DSL40.

We both had WAY more power in our amps than we needed.

Good fun!

[​IMG]

20. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Last Saturday night at the local bar & grill- we got our first true encore from everybody in the place. I did Rocky Mountain Way (without a talkbox) and the crowd got right into it and wanted more. A nice way to finish up the night.

Random1643, brookdalebill and dannyh like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.