Talk About Your Last Gig Here

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
Played my Thursday trio gig tonite. Being thanksgiving night, the pay was doubled…no complaints! The keyboardist we had tonight was William, monster player, but not real versed in having to kick bass, so I played bass tonight instead of guitar. Worked out good as I traded my MIM standard Jazz bass for a Classic 60s Jazz bass this week, and this gave me an opportunity to try it out on a gig. I like this bass much more than the std, very happy with it. Packed house, very good tips, and we played earlier hours being a holiday. A good gig.

Pic of the new family member:

31E72C15-841C-44CE-873E-21C14100C1CC.jpeg

Fret Wilkes

Friend of Leo's
Played my Thursday trio gig tonite. Being thanksgiving night, the pay was doubled…no complaints! The keyboardist we had tonight was William, monster player, but not real versed in having to kick bass, so I played bass tonight instead of guitar. Worked out good as I traded my MIM standard Jazz bass for a Classic 60s Jazz bass this week, and this gave me an opportunity to try it out on a gig. I like this bass much more than the std, very happy with it. Packed house, very good tips, and we played earlier hours being a holiday. A good gig.

Pic of the new family member:

View attachment 1054649
Nice trade!

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
We put on a good show .. for only two people :eek:

OK, OK, there were maybe 10-15 people at the bar at the far end of the room. At one time we had 5 people on the dance floor. Not bad by percentile hee

None of us in good shape, except our fill-in drummer - who did a great job.

Drummer/lead singer with a bum arm and just getting over a cold (shared to him at a previous show). So his voice was a bit rough.

Keyboard/lead singer fighting pain from a surgical hernia due to a transplant.

I had serious back pain and struggled to bear the weight of my bass.

Still, a good show. I made my glaring bass mistakes and Noone noticed, maybe I should try harder 🤔
I also turned my mic up in both mains and monitor to help sing behind our drummer/lead. He noticed and kept telling me to get closer to the mic and sing louder. Stating that what he heard was good and I should try harder. I guess I did OK.

I'm still trying to get my voice back into shape after years of disuse

Anyway, that's it. Going to a medieval Faire today ..... oh, and we used my new speakers, they worked fine. I'm going to start carrying all the PA stuff to take the strain off the Keyboard player

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
Worked out good as I traded my MIM standard Jazz bass for a Classic 60s Jazz bass this week, and this gave me an opportunity to try it out on a gig. I like this bass much more than the std, very happy with it.
That’s a killer looking bass. Appropriately named because it‘s such a “classic” look.

srblue5

Tele-Afflicted
I got a last minute call to back a friend on acoustic guitar for a folk/bluegrass-ish set at a local coffeehouse, where he was part of a fundraiser this past weekend. We were essentially playing as a three-piece, as he hired another friend on various percussion instruments and he himself sang and played banjo and mandolin.

My friend and I got together to run through the setlist the day before the gig, but the percussionist didn't get back to town until a few hours before the gig. All three of us literally played together for the first time during the setup/soundcheck, minutes before playing our actual set.

All in all, despite not having played together before (the last time I played music with this friend was 5-6 years ago), we all locked in together quite well. We were a bit stiff and uptight at first (which was understandable) but really started cooking about 3 songs into the set. My friend the singer also started loosening up and telling some jokes partway through the set, which helped engage the audience more. In the middle of our last song, almost everybody in the place got up and danced, so we jammed on the song for over 10 minutes. It was a blast!

I haven't played an acoustic gig in over 4 years and have never played one that raucous and enjoyable. It was long overdue. I'm hoping we'll get to play together again soon.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
It’s been a quiet year for gigs for the Bedlam House Band but we took the opportunity to learn a bunch of new songs and do some pretty focused rehearsing. Finally one of our recurring big gigs was back on Tuesday night — a charity gig arranged by staff from one of the big banks. We played in 2018 as openers on a 4-band lineup, in 2019 we closed the show (& found the crowd pretty thin by the end); 2020 and 2021 were cancelled due to the pandemic; so we were pleased to be back this year. This time we were to be third on out of four bands, with a 45-minute set — but on the morning of the gig the headliners were forced to pull out due to illness, and since the other bands couldn’t add more than another song or two to their set lists we were asked to close the show and to play an extra half hour: we jumped at the chance. The benefit of playing together now for about 6 years and having kept on growing our repertoire means adding 6 or 7 songs is no hardship at all.
Anyway, a good venue (the Voodoo Rooms), decent crowd (not huge but appreciative, dancing, and noisy), excellent soundperson (a student from one of the local colleges, she knew what she was doing) and 75 minutes of great fun.

I played my Jazzmaster with GK-3 hex pickup through my Boss GP-10 into my JC-40, which then had a stereo DI to the PA. I use the “fancy”’stuff in the GP-10 for a handful of songs - organ sound on Pump It Up, piano on Feeling Good, acoustic on Long Train Runnin’, strings on I Will Survive - but mostly I use it to make a Jazzmaster sound like a Tele. Maybe I will just bring a Tele next time…🤨🤷‍♂️

1669853220508.png