Talk About Your Last Gig Here

Terrygh1949

Tele-Meister
How'd it go? Any pictures or video clips? Anything happen that was memorable? Anything you'd like to forget?

I'll start...

Played a Farmer's Market gig this morning with The Colorado Green Band our groovy little trio. We had to play early as our bassist had a wedding gig with another band and had a 12:00 noon load in, so we wrapped it up by 11:30. We played two sets and took a long enough break to go shopping as we were paid with "Market Bucks" that were good at any booth. Needless to say I got stocked up on groceries.

The vendors gave us props and the folks who thought we were too loud last time were happy. We played real quiet. Our drummer used her "$#!+ kit" that has an Irish bodhran for a kick, bongos for toms and a little snare from a cocktail kit along with hi hat and cymbals. Bassist used a little bass amp and I used a Peavey Backstage Plus. We didn't have the Bose for this gig, so we put a little Yorkville Elite cab on a pole and had it behind us as the PA. Bassist forgot his regular mic stand, so he improvised with a boom on a clamp that he hooked to the drummers hardware and shared his mic with the drummer for background vocals.

People passing by would kind of do a bit of a bop as they walked by. Parents had their little ones dancing to us and the market staff in the next booth clapped for almost every song. A train passed by and we broke into a medley of Folsom Prison Blues and Mystery Train. The guy at the cutlery booth came over and tipped us saying "You timed that perfectly." (Well, not really...)

The set list was peppered with more obscure Grateful Dead songs as it was the anniversary of Jerry's passing. One of our original tunes was responded to surprisingly enough as they could only have heard it the last time we played. We started from the back of the songbook and played some songs we hadn't played in a while. It keeps the rhythm section on their toes.

A woman who said she was an empath complimented us on our music saying "it grounded her immediately" and that she would have bought a CD if we'd had one. She got our contact info and said she had a friend who helped put together the local gallery walk and thought she might be able to get us a gig. You never know what contacts will pay off.

All in all, a good way to spend a sunny Sunday morning, playing music for friendly people.

Your turn...
My Son and I have a duo, he plays bass and vocals and I play guitar acoustic elec and electric and vocals. We use a Boss drum machine which actually makes us a trio but, just him and I. We play most anything from classic Rock/classic country and, anything in between. We do small bar and grills and, smaller dance groups, occasionally an outdoor gig but, not many. A Bose L1 pro 8 is the main pa and he used a midsize Fender rumble amp and I use the Bose for my acoustic and our vocals. We do Not play loud it's most of our clients require and, I love that. Used to do a 4 pc band but, too much volume and hassle + COVID killed it. I love playing at lower levels I can really articulate my vocals and, balance our sound really well. I very much enjoy playing with my Son it's a perfect special bond that we have for the music and each other.
received_587601989492082.jpeg
FB_IMG_1651234569344.jpg

Spooky88

Tele-Meister
Went very well. Took over lead vocals and secondary guitar for a blues/funk band and we did a 45 minute set at a festival that had 8 stages. Typically no one really pays attention to the bands playing while they eat, drink, talk etc. but as my drummer pointed out that when we hit the stage the audience never turned away for the whole set. Pretty cool!

Attachments

• 036A9340-77FE-40DB-9092-DC3E9709A9D2.jpeg
    036A9340-77FE-40DB-9092-DC3E9709A9D2.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 17

Mnc1

TDPRI Member
Our group played a farmer's market in Hayward, ( Calif.) and the crowd and vendors were appreciative. We had a guitar case open in front of us for tips which were doing well at the time. While we played two kids, ( likely 10 or 11 years old, ran up, reached in and stole all but a few bills.The people watched as they ran off. We didn't miss a beat but quite a statement about today's society.

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
Our group played a farmer's market in Hayward, ( Calif.) and the crowd and vendors were appreciative. We had a guitar case open in front of us for tips which were doing well at the time. While we played two kids, ( likely 10 or 11 years old, ran up, reached in and stole all but a few bills.The people watched as they ran off. We didn't miss a beat but quite a statement about today's society.
SMH...that's a drag man, for all parties involved, sorry to hear.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My Son and I have a duo …I love playing at lower levels I can really articulate my vocals and, balance our sound really well. I very much enjoy playing with my Son it's a perfect special bond that we have for the music and each other.

Sounds like a wonderful experience. Congrats!

I noticed you replied to Paul in Colorado, original post #1. If I’m the first to tell you, my apologies, but Paul passed away in 2019, so you’ll understand why he won’t respond. We all carry on in his honor, 163 pages, over 3200 posts and still going strong!

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
how to word this...

1st post-hurricane gig. decent crowd 1sr & 2nd set. The real issue was sound. We do Hang On Sloopy for sound check, each of the guys do verse plus harmony so it's a good one for balance. I knew vocal across the board was too loud right off, but not horrible. Couple old people start plugging their ears and yelling "too loud". No! it wasn’t that much too loud.

The same couple of people kept fussing while people on the other side (that also sat closer to the mains) wanted us to turn up.

I had the PA easily half our normal level and still those same people complaining. We ignored them. We are a dance band, not an elevator music dinner band.

Here's a kicker and a first, any of you had this happen? A couple up dancing directly in front of the main. At the song completion they asked if we could unplug it.

I'm telling you, it's getting to the point that I don't want to play for any of these people.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
how to word this...

1st post-hurricane gig. decent crowd 1sr & 2nd set. The real issue was sound. We do Hang On Sloopy for sound check, each of the guys do verse plus harmony so it's a good one for balance. I knew vocal across the board was too loud right off, but not horrible. Couple old people start plugging their ears and yelling "too loud". No! it wasn’t that much too loud.

The same couple of people kept fussing while people on the other side (that also sat closer to the mains) wanted us to turn up.

I had the PA easily half our normal level and still those same people complaining. We ignored them. We are a dance band, not an elevator music dinner band.

Here's a kicker and a first, any of you had this happen? A couple up dancing directly in front of the main. At the song completion they asked if we could unplug it.

I'm telling you, it's getting to the point that I don't want to play for any of these people.
Sorry.
Maybe you could/should put your own thing together.
Just a thought.

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
Played the Denton Arts & Jazz Fest tonight with a friend of mine’s blues band. They usually use a keyboardist but he had a conflict so I got the sub call. This line up was drums, bass and two guitars with three of us singing. Big stage, nice crowd, good sound guys, fun gig. Only played a 60 minute set, so it felt like we were just hitting our stride and then it was over. We’re back out there tomorrow as the backing band for the other guitar player’s frontman thing, then my regular R&B band will play on the same stage afterward, so I’ll get three gigs out of this festival. That’s a beautiful thing; I’ll get my union dues back and then some lol.

Played my red Tele through the Bassman RI.

D19B9B21-86C2-4890-9162-5831A7900A6D.jpeg

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
Played one of my monthly assisted living centers today. I had the added challenge of having torn a muscle in my calf. The result looks terrible and hurts almost as bad. I opted for using my TMDR over my 79 VR because of the weight factor vs my injury. Played my 2006 Sheraton 1964 Reissue thru the TMDR. That amp's little bit of added bass response sure makes that geetar sound good! Repertoire was an interesting mix of old country and Motown- from Mustang Sally (by request), to the Righteous Bros' You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin' to Delbert McClinton's I Never Lost You, You Were Never Mine. The last song I've had in my repertoire for a pretty good while, but hadn't played it in a while. Dayum, it sounded good! Love me some Delbert!

Made it through with not too much pain, the one time the leg twinged strongly, it just fueled a high note nicely, so it was all good.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Gig tonight was insane. So good, I can’t even wrap my head around it.

I subbed with my favorite Dead band. We have several in the area, and I’ve played with most of them here or there. This one is special.

It’s not a “tribute” band. Just a pile of absolutely A-list area musicians who love the material, and know it better than anyone else I’ve ever played it with. Which is a lot.

They keep the spirit alive, which means they play the songs, and do them incredibly well, and they hit the style and landmarks. But, in the spirit of the Dead, do them however the hell they feel like it on any particular night. It’s a LOT of improvisation and thinking on your feet. With guys who do it all night without breaking a sweat. If a guy doesn’t have big ears, and pay attention, it’ll be a clusterf*ck in record time. Hahaha!

It’s a huge challenge for me because most of the gigs I do just don’t work like that. But these guys excel at it so much, it makes me work extra hard for it so I don’t look as much like a chump as I probably should.

They put on a damned clinic tonight. They truly did. I was very honored to be called again, and to be along for the ride. It was nothing but a wonderful night from start to finish. I don’t often get to use my head that much, or get to stretch and be challenged to keep it interesting like that. If I did, I’d probably be a lot better at it.

It was a blast.