Talk About Your Last Gig Here

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
Fridays (23rd) show was musically great, probably the best we've sounded there. Mistakes, of course. I guess I didn't make enough obvious ones because the guitar player said that it was my turn to make a glaring song-stopping (well, almost) mistake. I couldn't manage to do that .. maybe next show. I'll know I managed it if all three of them look at me at the same time and laugh.

pre-show plus breaks .. miserable. A rumor-mongering backstabbing "lady" was there. Most people gravitated to that area, the guys included. Not because of her, because of the people she came with. I did not. I sat in the corner alone.

post-show, also miserable. I was totally brain-fried and burned out. I usually load my stuff, help the drummer and still have time to help the keyboard player. Not that night, I barely got my own stuff packed. After loading I could barely walk, no balance. Had to use walls and chairs to support myself. No, I am not sick. I don't know what it was but I hope it doesn't happen again .. also no, I don't drink and I had plenty of water.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
Fridays (23rd) show was musically great, probably the best we've sounded there. Mistakes, of course. I guess I didn't make enough obvious ones because the guitar player said that it was my turn to make a glaring song-stopping (well, almost) mistake. I couldn't manage to do that .. maybe next show. I'll know I managed it if all three of them look at me at the same time and laugh.

pre-show plus breaks .. miserable. A rumor-mongering backstabbing "lady" was there. Most people gravitated to that area, the guys included. Not because of her, because of the people she came with. I did not. I sat in the corner alone.

post-show, also miserable. I was totally brain-fried and burned out. I usually load my stuff, help the drummer and still have time to help the keyboard player. Not that night, I barely got my own stuff packed. After loading I could barely walk, no balance. Had to use walls and chairs to support myself. No, I am not sick. I don't know what it was but I hope it doesn't happen again .. also no, I don't drink and I had plenty of water.
Gig sounds good, the rest less so, Faith. Get some rest. I hope all's well.

Fret Wilkes

Friend of Leo's
The gig Saturday went pretty well. It was, as forecast, cold. 41deg, 13mph wind in our face. I had hand warmers in my coat pockets which helped while standing around waiting.
For the most part the music went well. There were a couple of tentative moments as I wasn't the only fill-in, but nobody got hurt, I got paid, and the favor was done.

1664196111647.png

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The gig Saturday went pretty well. It was, as forecast, cold. 41deg, 13mph wind in our face. I had hand warmers in my coat pockets which helped while standing around waiting.
For the most part the music went well. There were a couple of tentative moments as I wasn't the only fill-in, but nobody got hurt, I got paid, and the favor was done.

View attachment 1033240
You’re a trooper!
My recent hassle was the opposite.
The show must go on!

Fret Wilkes

Friend of Leo's
You’re a trooper!
My recent hassle was the opposite.
The show must go on!

Bill, I think I'd rather be cold. At least you can dress for warmth. I don't know how you do it in the Texas heat. I really don't do well in excessive heat, it's SO distracting all I can think of how how lousy I feel!

Sorry to read that it got to you in a bad way on your recent gig. I hope the temps start heading to a more livable level.

But yes, the show must go on!

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
I think I'd rather be cold. At least you can dress for warmth.
That’s what our singer says as he puts on his big coat and gloves, then wonders why the guitarists are complaining as they try to play with frozen fingers…😀
We’ve been booked for a Christmas lights show again this year, and I asked if they can rent us some patio heaters this time…

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
That’s what our singer says as he puts on his big coat and gloves, then wonders why the guitarists are complaining as they try to play with frozen fingers…😀
We’ve been booked for a Christmas lights show again this year, and I asked if they can rent us some patio heaters this time…
I'll take playing in the heat over the cold any day of the week. The heat is rough, but the cold just pisses me off lol.

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
Had a two-fer today.

Played a “young Elvis” show with Moses Snow at Arlington Music Hall today from 2-4. This was his first time in there and it went really well, good crowd, great sound, band was on today…a lot of fun. Had a quartet of ladies open the show and then provide background vocs. Ive worked with them before and they’re always spot on. My friend Mark played keys with us for the first time and did great. Played my Gretsch through the Bassman RI.

Then my country band had a gig at the old dancehall in Midlothian. Pretty small crowd (opening weekend at the state fair may have hurt the crowd) but the ones who were there enjoyed us. Lotta dancing, requests, pretty good gig. Played my red parts Tele, again through the Bassman.

Long day…Pic from the Moses show below…

019E47D3-8B80-43C5-9324-62CE3B9EBFF0.jpeg

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My gig at Watterson Hall with Nathan this evening was a joy.
We were 4 piece, regular fiddler Sean couldn’t make it.
The crowd was good and we sounded our best.
We took lots of requests, including a few we never played together before.
No train wrecks!
We’re pretty well “played in”.
Another good one!

Last edited:

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Thursday, brewpub gig, fine gig, mostly well played, a couple moments of even better (new band, this was our 4th gig, I think) and a few moments not so bueno, but recovered quickly. Outdoor, smallish crowd, but not bad.
We have a sort of cobbled together PA, still fine tuning, but mostly things we hear, not the crowd, etc. Running your own sound on the fly is it’s own “opportunity”.
I had a great time - this is a good group and I’m lucky to be with ‘em.

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
Fun gig this afternoon, despite the rain there was a good turnout. Enthusiastic crowd, got an offer to play a party, and had two tables join in singing with Kat when we played "Too Late". It always seems a bit intimidating to play solo guitar and backing vocals, but always seems to work out 😎
Great pay, generous tips, fine meal.
IMG_20221002_112031977.jpg
my corner today~

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Saturday I played an afternoon gig with a band I've never played with before. I was asked to bring my acoustic, which I find myself playing more often. There were three bands there for an extended worship music event. We had an hour set.

I took my Martin M-21 with a K&K Pure Mini pickup, into a Countryman DI. It must've sounded amazing because afterwards I got compliments on the sound. Like the Pastor said, nothing sounds like a Martin.

I just heard that it's going to be repeated every couple of months. I think I might be asked back.

ddewerd

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
We had the closest thing to a real gig yesterday since 2019. Although the unmentionable thing certainly put a damper on things, the main reason for our slowdown is that our drummer has been battling cancer for the past few years.

We've managed to keep it hanging on (we've been together 20+ years), and he has been slowly improving. He still doesn't have the stamina and strength he used to, but we were still able to play 3 sets. Had to really watch the tempo of the songs, couldn't do too many rockers in a row. But it was all good!

This was a benefit for a guy fighting leukemia. Decent, and enthusiastically appreciative crowd. Tiny stage in the corner of a sports bar. They tried to pay us, but we donated it back.

We were sort of semi retired before all this, so I don't know that we'll ever really get back into full swing. But it sure did feel good getting back in the saddle again for a live audience!

Resized_20221003_085809.gif

Cheers,
Doug

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
We had the closest thing to a real gig yesterday since 2019. Although the unmentionable thing certainly put a damper on things, the main reason for our slowdown is that our drummer has been battling cancer for the past few years.

We've managed to keep it hanging on (we've been together 20+ years), and he has been slowly improving. He still doesn't have the stamina and strength he used to, but we were still able to play 3 sets. Had to really watch the tempo of the songs, couldn't do too many rockers in a row. But it was all good!

This was a benefit for a guy fighting leukemia. Decent, and enthusiastically appreciative crowd. Tiny stage in the corner of a sports bar. They tried to pay us, but we donated it back.

We were sort of semi retired before all this, so I don't know that we'll ever really get back into full swing. But it sure did feel good getting back in the saddle again for a live audience!

View attachment 1036063
Cheers,
Doug
Prayers/positive vibes for your drummer, sounds like you guys are keeping it all in proper perspective. Glad you had a good gig.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
Played a Sidewalk Shindig Saturday afternoon.
We had a One Hour Slot to set-up with our own PA, Play, Break-down, Load-Out for the next band.
Crazy but, we had rehearsed knowing we would have 37 Minutes of Material.
The PA was two speakers on sticks and one Monitor, all playing the same mix.
Once we knew everything was ON, we slammed seven straight songs with a matter of seconds between each one.
Three Vocal Mics, nothing else.

I went Commando playing my Home Brew Tele through my 15 watt Fender Frontman15 Amp. No FX, Snark Tuner on the Headstock.

Great time, good people at the event, made more in an Hour than we make for a night at some of our Club Gigs.

Cheers!

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
Played the National Night Out event in Corsicana TX tonite with my country band. This was a public event put on by the Corsicana Police Dept. (I heard it’s a nation wide thing, I’d never heard of it though). They had free hot dogs and soft drinks, some games for kids, firefighter and police training drills folks could try, raffle giveaways….real nice event. Gig was on the front steps of the Downtown Police Dept. Gig was 5-7:30, good pay, nice crowd, good folks, fun time. Played my red Tele through the BF Deluxe.

6458E675-41B0-4D6B-8A5A-FC4ADD9D8A7E.jpeg 798FA9EA-E7F6-4E68-93D5-F0CDE2192664.jpeg