Talk About Your Last Gig Here

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I am so pathetic. Spoiled it seems. I thought I had band drama. By comparison my band situation is fantastic! There will be less whining from me in this forum!
I simply do not tolerate band, or any kind of drama.
I become unavailable to anyone that is difficult or controlling.
I don’t need it.
Life’s too short, and I don’t know how much longer I’ll last.
Luckily, my music-life has never been better.
I’m grateful.

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
I am so pathetic. Spoiled it seems. I thought I had band drama. By comparison my band situation is fantastic! There will be less whining from me in this forum!
Bah, always room for whining and complaining. Others will commiserate or shout you down or out do you.

I am spoiled to our group. We get along well, respect each other (personally and musically), and aren't afraid to receive some critiquing because we know it's not a personal attack.

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
Sounds like a horror show Faith! I hope the rest of your regular band mates think twice before letting those guys play again. If you’re trying to be professional then a bunch of amateurs hanging around isn’t fun.
And the keyboard player needs a serious word in his ear about treating you with respect.

It was, it's over. I talked with the guys and they fully understand. We may end up being forced to use one or both of them again next year, however, in the meantime we will keep our eyes (and ears) open for different fill-ins.

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
From one of my kids’ rare paying gigs this past weekend (they mostly do charity events). Next up is a first responder appreciation day on 10/2, weather permitting.

I should add that it was a block party with no drama other than a toddler unplugging the main power line. 21 songs in 2 sets over about 2 hours. Fun was had by all.

Last edited:

Telelover1

TDPRI Member
That '60 is sweet. Do I see a JBL?
-archetype, '62 Tremolux 6G9-A owner
Yep....I still have the original but that JBL stays cleaner at gig volume which is great for me. It kinda makes up for it being a single ten .. not sure why this amp and it's tremlo sounds so special..it just does...was the 62 still in oxblood.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Yep....I still have the original but that JBL stays cleaner at gig volume which is great for me. It kinda makes up for it being a single ten .. not sure why this amp and it's tremlo sounds so special..it just does...was the 62 still in oxblood.

Yes, still oxblood grille cloth. They may have been transitioning to wheat cloth in late '62.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Two tens and Oxblood....now that's what I call livin' !!!!

It has a Weber 10A125 and Blue Pup. Actually, I'm going to give it a 1/3 open back. I like it to radiate into the room instead of being so directional. Tried it with a full open back and dug it.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I just got home from the Comal County Fair, where I played guitar with old friends, County Line.
Alas, I did not acquit myself very well.
It’s been awhile since I had a bad night, so I guess I was due.
Anyways, I have been tired lately.
Geezerdom is exhausting, sometimes.;)

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
I just got home from the Comal County Fair, where I played guitar with old friends, County Line.
Wow - sorry to heat that, Bill. Doesn't sound like you at all.

Like you say, we all have them.

Onwards and upwards, my friend!!

Also - I suspect this was one of those occasions where this was your view - which, I appreciate, is important - but everyone else there probably thought you did fine. That's often how it goes.

Fret Wilkes

Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty sure that your perception of your performance was just "your" perception only, most likely due to fatigue, and was probably at your usual high level!

With all your experience, and years of gigging, with MANY different outfits, I'm willing to bet that your perception of a "low point" is at a level higher than many would be proud to achieve.

Geezerdom IS exhausting, no two ways about it. Tonight I'm driving 1-1/2 hours each way to play a one hour show, beginning at 9pm, OUTSIDE, with a forecasted "feel like" temp of 41deg. I'm exhausted, and somewhat horrified, just thinking about it! lol

Onward and upwards Bill!!

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
I tend to agree. Typically when you perceive yourself as not up to your standards you are likely the only one that noticed. I've had plenty of 'off nights' (I'm not that good and make mistake easily) yet still get many compliments at the end of the show from the audience members (some musicians), and the guys (um, band guys :p ).

Mistakes are generally only heard in the playback recording so .. don't record ;)😀

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I had two gigs yesterday.
First was in Columbus at the House.
It was a trio gig with Nathan Colt Young.
We played on a flat bed trailer, outdoors, for a “farewell party” for the venue, which is closing at the end of the month.
It was hotter than blazes, and I got overheated on the third set, at about 2:30PM.
I finished the set, and the gig, but I have a new rule.
The rule is if it’s over 90 degrees, the stage will be covered, or I won’t be on it.
Probably just common sense, but I mean it.
Not fun.
We did sound good, and were well paid.
The next one was with the Josh Tiemann Band, for a “ranch party” in Round Top, Tx.
I was subbing on guitar, and the band sounded good, especially since I just met the leader, and drummer.
Josh is a youngish man of 37, and a fine singer and songwriter!
He’s a firefighter.
Honorable work!
Bass player Mike is an old friend of mine, and drummer Jesse was a seasoned pro.
The hosts were ultra kind and accommodating.
Except for the heat-stroke thing;), a good day!

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Heat stroke is serious! Had a bass player get it 4-5 yrs ago, and it took him a couple of weeks to get back his energy. Be careful and stay hydrated.
Indeed!
I’ve been “draggin’ ass” all day.
I have a light work week, so far, 1 day job, 1 gig.
The gig is Saturday at a dancehall.
Hopefully Hades, er, Texas will cool off soon!

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
Was back at Eddie V’s Dallas Saturday night with the Rhythmators. Good crowd, pretty good tips, had a few requests, pretty good night. Eric subbed on keys, was great as always.

We’d been on a 7-9:45 schedule since we came back from the “that-which-must-not-be-named” interruption, but this week we went back to 7-11. Felt like a long night lol…guess I was getting spoiled. Not complaining, happy to have the work…

Played my red parts Tele through the Princeton Reverb.

Alcohen

Tele-Meister
Played a birthday party last night with the classic rock band at a typically beautiful house outdoors high in the Berkeley hills. I started the night playing the Robin Ranger, which I've started playing again after a long time in disfavor. Ever since I replaced the original cheapo Japanese pickups with Rio Grandes (the early Robins were MIJ and didn't have the Rio Grande pickups) it's been night and day. But I'd just put new locking tuners and new strings on and, for some reason, the tuning kept drifting. Finished the show with my old standby tele. Playing through my recently acquired Goodsell - still in the honeymoon phase, it is the best amp I've ever owned. Didn't feel like we were totally locked in, but lots of compliments and guests were up and dancing all night, so we must have done something right.

Last edited: