Talk About Your Last Gig Here

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
Despite the drizzly rainy day, it was fine gig. By all accounts we were really on yesterday, and received great tips. The pavilion filled up as well as under the overhang in the courtyard.
Here's the view while setting up. The guy sitting up front always comes down out of the hills when we play Cave Ridge and is always there when we arrive to set up.
IMG_20220905_132708017_HDR.jpg

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
Played a trio gig at the White Rock Boat club in Dallas last night, just a background thing for a membership party. We were out on a dock with my amp and the drummer about a foot from the docks edge. In hindsight this probably should of been a Peavy Bandit gig, but fortunately the Princeton stayed out of the lake lol. We played about 45 minutes when the rains came and we had to pull everything inside. We hung around til close to what was supposed to be quitting time, but the
rains never really let up enough to start again, so we got off a little early. No complaints. Real nice folks, good food (we were allowed to partake), easy gig.

Played my red parts Tele.

2F0261DA-3FE6-4FC3-8A69-1AEAF1A9B463.jpeg 905C3480-E3CD-4FF4-BC20-0264FEF4C401.jpeg 379E2AF8-0845-489F-822E-5AFEDACE8B5F.jpeg

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
nice show last night, I feel like I'm on repeat .. small crowd, kept them engaged and dancing. Small crowd is typical this time of year, especially on a Friday.

couple of moments, well more than a couple since we always have fun, too many to relate.

One song we stop for drummer to hit six for gun shot effects. He did semi-auto or something

another starts off with bass vocal so drummer always says something about bassman, the keyboard guy speaks up about my bassline. To which the drummer decides to miscontrue as saying something about my bust line 🙄😲 I, of course, pantomimed wtf dudes. I guess they are getting more comfortable with me in group .. not sure if that's a good thing or not 🤔

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
Played the Heritage Days Festival in Midlothian, Texas tonight with my country band. This band isn’t working much these days, everybody has other things going on, other gigs, so it was nice to get together again. Nice crowd, nice big stage and sound with a good crew, very fun. We started out pretty country then mixed in some RNR stuff later on. Folks were dancing and applauding, so I guess the song list was ok. We played from 6 to about 7:30, then gave it to the DJ for about 20 minutes, then went back up til around 8:30, then we were done. Easy gig, good pay and super nice folks to deal with.

Been wanting to use my Super Reverb lately, so I figured an outdoor thing was the best bet. Sounded great to me as always. Played the red parts Tele through it.

A few pics: 69DED6BB-2D89-4E46-9E69-E6BE13965675.jpeg AA605B14-1633-467B-B240-73065C8554E9.jpeg 1A57AE5E-54B4-4FA2-97EF-7B36C0E3C8CC.jpeg 05D58197-53E2-4D0E-A1F4-801F9DBD66D0.jpeg

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Private solo show tonight in New Eagle, PA. House concert. Wonderful people. I hate using the word “fans”, but I have some. Not many, but that makes them all the more special.

Got treated wonderfully, fed even better, and played two hours of nothing but my own songs for a space full of people who paid handsomely to sit and listen to them. It doesn’t get better than that.

For a guy like me, it was full-on fabulous.

Tonight’s office-

1C36132D-069D-43CD-BE29-A6EDFB805C55.jpeg

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I had two great, dissimilar gigs yesterday.
First was a memorial service with my friend Kim.
We played (Kim led) at a nice, small Baptist church in Taylor, Tx.
The service was held for local lady who had a wonderful, loving family.
I sang How Great Thou Art, a first, for me.
Kim is a brilliant singer and keyboard player.
It was a truly memorable and moving experience.
Next was something far more familiar to me.
I played a benefit at a community center in Panna Maria, Tx with Nathan Colt Young.
It was a joy, and guest fiddler Dave played great.

Last edited:

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Opening band for the “Sharon Sheets Music Festival” in Loveland. The day started off cold and drizzling rain…however, by our start time, the rain let up.

Pretty small crowd, relatively, but we sang and played our best, a little over an hour. All originals, good response, felt good. Another one done well.

85013FAC-989A-4BE1-A499-675729DBA2EE.jpeg

keithb7

Poster Extraordinaire
Business conference. Cocktails, dinner, then we started playing at 8:30. We were told, hard stop for us at 11 pm. We were asked to take 2 set breaks.

We played to the dance floor. Mono all-analog old school simple PA set up. 1 stereo power amp. The Cajon had a single mic thru a crossover. Cajon lows panned hard left. Snare (highs) panned to hard right. All left channel low frequency signals to the sub. Mids and highs, (vocals, guitars, snare) panned hard right to the other power amp channel. Out to the single main speaker above the sub.

Our fishman amps are our monitors. Decent low stage volume. All the Fishmans and the bass amp are DI’d into the mixing board.

This PA set up was a little different for us. We’re experimenting. Learning as we go. We were thinking we did not want to be too loud. Attendance was mainly men. Some women. We weren’t expecting many dancers. Yet the dance floor was packed all night. Great crowd response.

I wasn’t happy with my guitar monitor mix. I couldn’t hear what I normally hear. Was ok but I would like better. The PA worked great. The staff very much appreciated our volume level.

11:00 pm arrived. We said good night. They begged for two more encores. We wrapped up at 11:10. A good gig. A lot of fun.

3D1850B2-D9CB-480F-A9A0-F170B3F9741A.jpeg

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
Tough time at the winery this afternoon.
I got a pneumonia shot yesterday afternoon and was feeling punky with headache sore shoulder and neck. Just to make it worse my amp sounded awful turns out I need to put some new 6l6's in, couldn't get clean sound at all😕
Mike had some snafu heading out for the gig and was flustered arriving just in time to start.
Kat had been out late with friends the night before and was tired.
None of us were at our best but we got through, got paid, got tips, even got compliments and applause~

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
I played the Rockbox Theatre in Fredericksburg, Texas last night backing up Lisa, the Cher tribute artist I’ve worked with the last few years. We did two shows, one at 4 and one at 8. We had an addition to the regular band last night with second keyboardist and backup singer Calvin. I wasn’t sure how that would work out, but he was a great addition, he slid right in like he’d been with us for years and really added some cool parts. Both audiences were great, very responsive and really got into Lisa’s audience participation schtick. Good pay, comp’d dinner, great sound crew, very fun gig.

I played my Les Paul and D18. This theatre is not very big and they prefer a pretty low stage volume, so I used the Princeton Reverb to cut back (a little) on my footprint. It worked, but even at low volume the LP drove the amp so hard I couldn’t get as good of a clean tone as I would have liked to have had. I’ll go back to the Deluxe for the next gig.

Couple pics from the night:

D1B270E1-758E-4CC9-B0B0-8D16E306722A.jpeg
E68E2EF9-43F5-450A-8959-9FEBCA85F728.png
C59A7833-4BEC-4A6F-A24A-BC9013192578.jpeg

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
I'll preface this with: people danced, had a great time.

UGH!!
I guess I should expound as this relates to my "tell us about your next gig" premonition.

/begin rant
fill-in keyboard player that gives me the creeps
(yup still did)

I avoided him as much as possible but continously being referred to as a man really pissed me off. I get it, I got my body shape from my dad, nothing I can do about that. I really thought I'd come to terms with how I look since there's nothing I can do about it but people like that really set me back. No, I'm no model but I am a woman but stop making assumptions about who I am!! :mad: (you'd think my bust line would be a hint 😠).

I will give music credit, he played ok, nothing fancy but solid. Crap voice which we knew. He told drummer that his mic didn't work. He wasn't supposed to bring one. I plugged it in but left him turned down (drummer knew this)

Fill-in singer, omg. where to start.

Bad timing, bad meter, kept looking at the drummer to be told when to come in on a song. when he did come in he started so quiet that no one could hear the first line.

mic control .. none. quiet and loud because he had no idea how to hold a mic. Like, you have to hold it to your mouth, it's not going to work when you keep turning your head away from it. I even yelled at him to *swallow that mic"! No better when he held it. I've yet to see a mic balanced for being an inch or so from your mouth to work right if you point it at your shoulder.

he kept asking me to turn his mic up, can't hear himself. I had him twice as loud as everyone else (I control the pa). Then he complained to the drummer as well. "Can't hear myself in the monitor" Dude, seriously? YOU DIDN'T BRING ONE!! We don't use large stage monitors, we use small personal monitors and we each bring our own. He knew that. If he didn't have one he could have asked, I would have brought my spare.

He had a bad mic cable, messed up during his singing. He looked at me like I was supposed to fix it. um, my hands are busy, sorry. I told him, bad cable, replace it. We skipped his song so he coukd do that .. he swapped out the mic 😲 and then kept trying to get my attention to help him .. I'm playing a bass heavy song, what? I'm supposed to stop playing in the middle of a song to help you?

I hung out with my gal friends all night, I couldn't handle being around those guys on breaks. As I said .. UGH!

I seriously hope they never get asked back
/end rant

disclaimer: I am no music expert, I do have common sense.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
I guess I should expound as this relates to my "tell us about your next gig" premonition.

/begin rant
fill-in keyboard player that gives me the creeps
(yup still did)

I avoided him as much as possible but continously being referred to as a man really pissed me off. I get it, I got my body shape from my dad, nothing I can do about that. I really thought I'd come to terms with how I look since there's nothing I can do about it but people like that really set me back. No, I'm no model but I am a woman but stop making assumptions about who I am!! :mad: (you'd think my bust line would be a hint 😠).

I will give music credit, he played ok, nothing fancy but solid. Crap voice which we knew. He told drummer that his mic didn't work. He wasn't supposed to bring one. I plugged it in but left him turned down (drummer knew this)

Fill-in singer, omg. where to start.

Bad timing, bad meter, kept looking at the drummer to be told when to come in on a song. when he did come in he started so quiet that no one could hear the first line.

mic control .. none. quiet and loud because he had no idea how to hold a mic. Like, you have to hold it to your mouth, it's not going to work when you keep turning your head away from it. I even yelled at him to *swallow that mic"! No better when he held it. I've yet to see a mic balanced for being an inch or so from your mouth to work right if you point it at your shoulder.

he kept asking me to turn his mic up, can't hear himself. I had him twice as loud as everyone else (I control the pa). Then he complained to the drummer as well. "Can't hear myself in the monitor" Dude, seriously? YOU DIDN'T BRING ONE!! We don't use large stage monitors, we use small personal monitors and we each bring our own. He knew that. If he didn't have one he could have asked, I would have brought my spare.

He had a bad mic cable, messed up during his singing. He looked at me like I was supposed to fix it. um, my hands are busy, sorry. I told him, bad cable, replace it. We skipped his song so he coukd do that .. he swapped out the mic 😲 and then kept trying to get my attention to help him .. I'm playing a bass heavy song, what? I'm supposed to stop playing in the middle of a song to help you?

I hung out with my gal friends all night, I couldn't handle being around those guys on breaks. As I said .. UGH!

I seriously hope they never get asked back
/end rant

disclaimer: I am no music expert, I do have common sense.
Sounds like a horror show Faith! I hope the rest of your regular band mates think twice before letting those guys play again. If you’re trying to be professional then a bunch of amateurs hanging around isn’t fun.
And the keyboard player needs a serious word in his ear about treating you with respect.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Sounds like a horror show Faith! I hope the rest of your regular band mates think twice before letting those guys play again. If you’re trying to be professional then a bunch of amateurs hanging around isn’t fun.
And the keyboard player needs a serious word in his ear about treating you with respect.
Amen!