Talk About Your Last Gig Here

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I had three very pleasant gigs this weekend.
I played bass with Donn at Donn’s Depot on Friday.
My amp failed, again!
Luckily my friend Kelly (who I was subbing for) loaned me his great, Fender/Orange rig.
I guess I’m amp shopping.
The gig was fun.
The great Ruben H. was on drums!
Saturday I played the Lost Lagoon RV park/resort in El Campo, with Nathan.
It was fun!
It was like a pool party!
Sunday we (Nathan) played our regular monthly gig at Sweet Home Community Center.
We had a great crowd of dancers, and many of our friends came out.
Yes!

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Saturday night was round 2 of the high school reunions. Performed an all-acoustic set as a 6-piece, 3 guitars, one percussion and 2 vocalists - although in this group, everyone sings.
It was good, good, good. Where the previous band kinda drove off half the crowd on loudness, they all wandered back in for us. Felt good. A bit taxing, in that other than one of the other guitars, this once a year gig is the only gig for some of our players, so a lot of the load in, set up and load out falls on me. Comes with. Ok. I was a little tired, but no time to rest because:

Sunday at noon was a local Art-in-the-Park festival, which I did with 3/4 of my/our local band - the Wild Elderberries. Bass player MIA. A little extra time getting the sound system provided dialed in, but then we're off and running, total fun. Just added the mandolin player and he and the other guitar hit it off. This was our first run through with the new guy, sounds good. All originals. We're having fun. Next gig is two weeks away.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Bass player and I had playing acoustic at a small country store tonight. A fantastic finger style blues guitarist joined with a small Martin.
I hardly ever play acoustic it was fun the L50 sounds mighty fine for slide🙂 View attachment 1016024
Wow! that guitar reminds me of my step-Dad's old Kalamazoo but the 'zoo had dot markers and a pronounced V neck.

Gene O.

Tele-Afflicted
I only play with folks that I enjoy being around, life is way too short for hanging out with people who make life difficult!
I've heard that said many times, and I aspire to that credo myself. I don't hang out with the guy, and as I said, it was a mistake to get involved with him again. To be fair, the rehearsals went fairly well. It wasn't until the day of the gig that the old BS started rearing its ugly head. Live and learn!

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
Played a trio gig at Eddie V’s Fort Worth last night, subbing for the regular weds group. It was kind of a throw together band, drums, keys and me on guitar, but we’ve all played together in the past quite a bit so nothing foreign. We pretty much stuck to the Organ Trio kinda format, which was a lot of fun for me. Eric, the keys guy, really has that thing down, especially “kicking” bass with his left hand. Played a few I wasn’t too familiar with, and now I wanna work them up for my own….

FW has a new manager, which is ok with me as I wasn’t a big fan of the previous manager, but they were definitely more volume conscious than usual. Not a prob, we just kept it way down. I’m back there tonight; we’ll see how that goes.

Not a huge crowd but pretty responsive and good tips. Fun gig. Oh, and we finally got rain…and hail and high winds. Texas weather is never subtle. That’s ok… I got drenched walking out to my car but after the last couple months I welcomed it.

Played the Roadworn Tele through the Princeton Reverb.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
LOL at a phrase I never would've thought to apply to musical performance and observation. 😄

I worked with this singer from about 1996-2003 or 4 and can sum up my history lesson with him by saying that he has never been dependable and has proven himself to be the laziest man in the world. I found out that he had not changed since I last worked with him.

He shrugs off his own responsibilities while others around him are doing their part.

He inconveniences others without a second thought and shows no remorse for having done so.

He lies to people in order to back out of commitments he's made.

He's living in the past and trying to relive his glory days by getting others to put in the effort that he can't be bothered with.

That old saying really applies here - those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it. But I can definitely say I have learned my lesson this time. I'll never work with the guy again.
There’s people that just cannot be relied on: you survived that go one, fingers crossed you don’t get pulled into the orbit of anyone so dependably unreliable again.

Gene O.

Tele-Afflicted
I played an acoustic trio gig (singer, bass player and me) last night at the KSU Hotel & Convention Center in downtown Kent. We were out on the wide sidewalk in front of the building, which was fenced in and had tables, chairs and sofas. It was a little noisy being by the street - loud vehicles, blaring car stereos, and there was a band playing [apparently] in a parking lot behind the buildings across the street, which was fairly loud when we weren't playing. But no one seemed to mind and they enjoyed everything we played.

Tonight I will enjoy a Sat night off. :)

Last edited:

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
Just got home from one. I'm spoiled to 3 sets, that 4th set is a killer. But full house that lasted 3 sets, 4th set thinned out but still kept the dance floor full. An old friend of the drummer showed up to surprise him, he hadn't seen him in 25 years. He was very complimentary of the band. Although, apparently, I need to dance more? 🤔 I mean, I do move while I play, almost a dance, but there really isn't much room to move around on small stages. I don't think the keyboard guy would appreciate being knocked off his stool.

keithb7

Poster Extraordinaire
Private party in the mountains out of town. Grass meadow with many large trees around the property. No electricity available. Very dark warm summer night and all the stars were out. We ran a 2200W Honda Generator with a ground spike. We experienced a quiet PA and no buzzing. We had some lights too on stage, all running off the same generator. Several RVs there. Many folks camped out and stayed the night. Lots of dancing and many compliments. Others who live in the community asked to book for us for next summer. We played from 7:30 Pm to 11 PM. One 10 minute break. Tons of fun. The bugs where a bit thick. Drawn to our lights. Seemed to be millions of teeny no-see-ums. We were swallowing them while singing. They were in your eyes and ears. Lol. You can't do much about it when both hands are busy and the song must go on. I tried "Deep Woods Off". I mistakenly applied some to my forehead. As soon as I started singing I was sweating buckets. Playing guitar and singing. The sweat running into my eyes, laced with bug spray. Quite a nasty burning sensation in my eyes. Good times!

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
Although, apparently, I need to dance more? 🤔 I mean, I do move while I play, almost a dance, but there really isn't much room to move around on small stages. I don't think the keyboard guy would appreciate being knocked off his stool.
As someone who has shared a crowded stage with a bass player, I would thank you for not moving too much! I am not very good at standing still, if there’s a moving bass neck in the neighbourhood as well then a collision is going to happen sometime…!

Seemed to be millions of teeny no-see-ums. We were swallowing them while singing. They were in your eyes and ears. Lol. You can't do much about it when both hands are busy and the song must go on. I tried "Deep Woods Off". I mistakenly applied some to my forehead. As soon as I started singing I was sweating buckets. Playing guitar and singing. The sweat running into my eyes, laced with bug spray. Quite a nasty burning sensation in my eyes.
I’ve been hillwalking and cycling in clouds of bugs (midges) that you cannot help swallowing and I’ve had that bug spray + sweat combo in the eyes - my hat is off to you for keeping on playing with that going on!
Sounds like a great night other than the bugs and their associated problems.

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
As someone who has shared a crowded stage with a bass player, I would thank you for not moving too much! I am not very good at standing still, if there’s a moving bass neck in the neighbourhood as well then a collision is going to happen sometime…!

fortunately for me he's also quite short. as long as I keep the headstock up it'll go right over him 😂
(I'm 5'10", he's barely 5')

seriously, yes, I pay close attention to where I stand and the 'danger zone'. Personal Space, it's a real thing 😊

Last edited:

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
It was a great night for us, everything clicked. Bass player had a new amp that sounds fantastic, amp I've been working on was finally sounding like I wanted, our drummer was on board, since his summer semester is over, and our singer Kat always sounds great 👍
IMG_4826.jpg
Our new bass player, who has been with us a couple years, has a rock background. Before he joined we had been doing mostly jazz standards and still do for afternoon winery gigs, but last night we did three sets of old country and late 60's rock. Memories of my youth🤣 Perhaps we'll start playing more breweries as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20220820_195957795_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220820_195957795_HDR.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 13