Talk About Your Last Gig Here

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I had two duo gigs with Nathan this weekend.
Last night we played to a rowdy crowd at The Pearl in Lockhart, and a private party (family reunion) in Kingsbury this afternoon.
We soinded our best at both, and were paid and fed well, too.
We have three gigs this coming week.
I’m looking forward all of them.

Last edited:

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I wasn’t allowed to talk about yesterday’s gig until it was over. It was a house party and the host didn’t want to risk crashers so I was sworn to secrecy.

Played a back yard out in Grafton, OH with The Verve Pipe. I opened the show, and provided and ran sound. They played an absolutely amazing set, and then we even had a little jam and played some together. It was a blast, and Brian’s voice is still in VERY fine form.

0012E977-F678-4ECA-85E0-A43674A51422.jpeg
75306D84-C84C-4745-8F29-5DEF903B9A18.jpeg

F0BBDBC5-B31D-486D-B1FD-70074BB16ACD.jpeg

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
Had a nice group of gigs this week (its been nice to be this busy, wish it was always like this). I had my regular Thursday and Saturday night Eddie V’s gigs this week, along with a crawfish boil at the Grand Prairie Farmers Market from 10am to 1 pm Saturday, and a country duo gig at Woodshed BBQ in Fort Worth on Sunday from Noon to 4.

The crawfish boil was with a Zydeco/Swamp Pop band I’ve played with off and on for over 25 years. Fun band, fun music. This lineup was drums, bass, fiddle, tenor sax, me on guitar and then the bandleader on accordion and vocals. All the guys in the band are old friends, and it was great to hang with them for a while.

The country duo gig was with Byron, the lead singer in my country band. Nice crowd, great tips, fun gig, except that it got a little steamy during the last set and load out. Summer is here. Yay…

Pic is from the Grand Prairie crawfish boil.

97343164-4A66-47D5-8A07-3E84B614E1F2.jpeg

Last edited:

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
Great afternoon playing the birthday party yesterday. Folks in the community and especially his family appreciated it.
We had substitute drummer, who did a great job. Could not have asked for better weather.

I didn't really want to be paid, but they insisted, and also sent us home with tubs of BBQ and pies.
The guy who the party was for told our bass player that I reminded him of
Ray Price 🙂

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
Sat 6/4
I'd post a photo but they're crap. My recorder isn't designed for low-light. That said .. A brief vacation with the keyboard guy out, only sub to be found was a team so bass player came as well giving me a few weekends off as well. No biggie on me but at least the guys weren't happy about it. Nice crowd, full dance floor, many many compliments and 'so glad you're back' comments.

We played tight, felt right, recording actually agrees .. it was a good night.

Fret Wilkes

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
My gig with Nathan in Lockhart went very well.
The outdoor stage was large, and the sound/light company did a great job.
We had dancers instantly, and we again sounded our best.
I have two more gigs with Nathan this weekend.
Looking forward to them!
With as many gigs as you do with Nathan, the band must be pretty sharp indeed. Do you rehearse as well, or are you at a point where the gigs are enough to stay sharp, and you learn any new material individually, and just break it out live?

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
With as many gigs as you do with Nathan, the band must be pretty sharp indeed. Do you rehearse as well, or are you at a point where the gigs are enough to stay sharp, and you learn any new material individually, and just break it out live?
Thanks for asking.
We do rehearse, but not often.
The “core” band (4 piece) is very “played in”.
Bass player Ken has been with Nathan 10 years.
Their vocal harmony is very good, and seamless.
Ken is a great bass player, and also runs the large PA.
Drummer Bubba is the “new guy”, and is working out very well.
He’s solid and simple, my favorite kind of drummer.
I’ve been in the band about a year and a half.
I found my footing at about the 6 month mark.
That’s slow by my standards.
We “pick up” new songs constantly.
By this, I mean if Nathan wants to do a “new/old” tune, I probably already know it.
I’m the old guy in the band.
Nathan is young (so’s his last name) and has the energy of a young man.
I sincerely hope he is successful in his career.
I’ll help any way I can.

Last edited:

Fret Wilkes

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Thanks for asking.
We do rehearse, but not often.
The “core” band (4 piece) is very “played in”.
Bass player Ken has been with Nathan 10 years.
Their vocal harmony is very good, and seamless.
Ken is a great bass player, and runs the large PA.
Drummer Bubba is the “new guy” ,and is Working out very well.
I’ve been in the band about a year and a half.
I found my footing at about the 6 month mark.
That’s slow by my standards.
We rehearse new songs.
We “pick up” new songs constantly.
By this, I mean if Nathan wants to do a new/old

Well, thanks for the reponse! ;0)

I'm pretty much there with my band. We've actually been doing a 2hr rehearsal weekly as our gig schedule at the moment is about 6 weeks apart. I've mentioned earlier that I've moved to afternoons (3-7pm) at one joint and that is pretty much it for now. The little bit of rehearsal lets us pickup some new tunes, go over what anyone wants to in the back catalog, and just plain play a little to stay sharp.

It's very much a pleasure to play with the seasoned guys in my band. I've known two of them (bass & drums) since the mid 70s, and played on and off with both over those years. They have played together constantly in different outfits since the mid 70s, so they REALLY know each other musically, and are a great rythym section. The keyboard player has been with me constantly since the early 90s. Really good guys, good friends, and good players. What's not to like?!

I'd like to find one more room that could give me afternoon gigs on a regular schedule. That would be perfect for what I'm looking for in quantity of gigs at this point. A gig every couple/few weeks.

Thanks again for the response Bill, and have a great gig weekend!!

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
Played a Lisa Irion Cher Tribute show at the old Isis Theatre in the Ft Worth stockyards last night. I’ve played for Lisa a few times before & she does a great job and is great to work with. Good pay, fun band, and the theatre was great. It was completely renovated a couple of years ago and they did a fantastic job of bringing it back to life. I’d been wanting to play here, hope I get to again soon. Played my Les Paul through the Deluxe and D18 through the house system. This gig involves playing with some tracks and a click track, so I got to try out my in-ear set up for the first time as well. On the last gig I worked with her, the venue provided the set up, but I needed to get my own for this gig and a couple others I have coming up. It all worked great. Nice to be sufficiently self contained. Attached a few pics from the proceedings.

E282BD86-9CAF-4D7F-B83C-EC13F68FD578.jpeg 114F1E12-445D-43D0-9CBA-F56B847D1347.jpeg 4A6BCEE0-1D63-43C0-B684-24CED736E4C5.jpeg

Last edited:

Gene O.

Tele-Afflicted
The girl vocalist and I were back at the premiere country club of our county last night and it was better this time. There were some folks there that heard us at our first gig, and when they left there were others that arrived and seemed to enjoy our music. Tips were very good, too. That all helped to rid us of the bad taste leftover from our first time there.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I hosted the Second Thursday Jam at the local Dive Bar.
You never know what will happen.
This time we had some really good players stop by and Slug it out onstage.
My rules are simple: I'm in charge. You can play through my Amp but, you bring your own Guitar.

A guy showed up with a Beautiful Firebird Reverse. Later Model, after 2,000 and, a Blackface Fender Deluxe Reverb to play it through.
I played my Home Brew Tele through my '73 Music Man.
I thought the Kids played pretty well together.
KIMG0308.JPG
KIMG0306.JPG

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I just got home from playing in Luckenbach with Nathan at Thomas Michael Riley’s songwriter festival.
The band, with guest fiddler Brandy sounded our best.
The 1 1/2 hour show flew past.
The (minor) bummer was the 104 degree temperature.
The stage was covered, and we had plenty of fans and water, but 104 is not fun to play in.
I actually came close to overheating.
Luckily it did not affect me till I left the stage to bring my amps and guitar to the truck.
I dimed the AC in the truck and gradually cooled off.
This is my second festival, and third time to play Luckenbach.
We were paid well, and we felt the love of the crowd.
Another great one!
The star of our show, Nathan Colt Young.
CCBA0129-9B46-470D-B998-BD8FFCA050F3.jpeg

Last edited:

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My Sunday gig with Nathan at Sweet Home Community Center was again great, and fun, BUT ....
The oppressive heat struck again.
The AC was not up to the task.
It was another scorcher, and everyone noticed.
The band, and fans were all fanning themselves with hats, or whatever they had.
Nathan’s dad came to our rescue with a great, high power fan.
Normally I despise fans for the way they chop up sounds waves, and usually ban them from stages I play on.
Not this time.
There’s no relief in sight from the heat, for awhile.
Yikes!

Teddyjack

Friend of Leo's
I played last night at a club called Red Square here in Burlington. It was on the outdoor stage in the alley way. Looked like rain but it held off and there was a nice breeze so we didn't overheat. The band was Mango Jam. We play zydeco and R&B from Louisiana (Fats Domino, The Meters, etc.). The band was tight and we had people dancing for the three sets we played. Pay was good too. I haven't played there in awhile and forgot how ahh, interesting, it can be. There's also a CBD shop and a Thai Restaurant in the alley so you get random people walking/dancing by and all the various smells/aromas!

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
I had my regular Saturday Eddie V’s gig followed by a session Sunday to round out the week. Nothing too interesting to report about either gig, except that I got to play my D18 twice this weekend, on the Friday and Sunday gigs. I love that guitar.

Last edited:

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Quick question....Why the cardboard under the mic stands?
Good eye!

During the off-season, the bar owner covered the outdoor stage with fake grass. It’s some kind of plastic grass/shag carpet stuff. Walking on it, or moving on it at all, causes extreme static electricity buildup, which shocks the snot out of a person every time they step up to the mic. Or touch anything metal. Or touch each other. Cardboard under the mic stands at least makes the mics non-zappy.

I told him to just rip it up, but he’s got the attitude that he spent a bunch of money on it and doesn’t want to chuck it.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ok, pulled off a bank job.

Provided music for a Customer Appreciation Day for a bank in Ft. Collins. This was our second gig and first with our bass player. 2 songwriters, one bass. Bass player is most excellent, full-time pro, lucky to have him.

It was fun! Felt good. Have had a bit of a sabbatical, what with the dreaded you-know and then my moving to a new state, etc. But now, working with this sort of folk jazz trio and another band, things are looking a little better. Booked 4 gigs on Monday; 2 for each group.

At the bank. Gibson flattop through small PA, tele through SF Princeton. Since it was an outdoor gig, had one song where I wished I had brought the heavier iron, but no biggee . Vocals were good, everything good - food truck, small but nice crowd, weather was perfect.