Talk About Your Last Gig Here

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My bass gig at Donn’s last night was fun.
The crowd was smaller than usual, probably because of the cold, wet, foggy evening.
We soldiered on.
I played my P bass, and new-to-me Lace Helix.
Both sounded great through my friend’s Fender/Orange bass rig.
It’s 350W, considerately more powerful than my usual rig.
I loved it, and am now actively looking for a smaller/louder/cleaner bass rig.
Another good one!

Last edited:

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
Played Eddie V’s Dallas with the Rhythmators last night. Eric subbed on keys and was bad*** as always. Good crowd, good response, ok tips. Good gig.

Played my AVRI Strat through the Princeton Reverb. I picked up a little MXR power brick for my small pedal board this week. I’ve been getting some intermittent noise with the one spot/daisy chain thing. The brick worked great, no issues or complaints so far.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I did two pleasant gigs with Nathan Colt Young this weekend.
First was a private party at Watterson Hall.
It was well attended and we played our best.
The band has really gelled nicely.
Yesterday afternoon we played our regular monthly gig at Sweet Home Community Center.
Again, we were all “on”.
I used my go-to rig.
Looking forward to our trio gig (another private party) in Weimar Saturday!

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My Friday bass gig at my old haunt Donn’s Depot (with Donn) went well.
My Lace Helix and trusty P bass both sounded great through my new-to-me bass rig.
It’s a 200W RMS G-K head into an Acoustic neodymium 1-12 cabinet.
I just returned from a pleasant trio gig with Nathan Colt Young at Whistling Duck Winery, in Weimar, Tx.
It was a 21st birthday party for a nice young lady.
Her family and college friends from Texas A&M we’re out in force.
I love Aggies!
We sounded our best, and we had dancers the entire gig.
Great weekend!

Last edited:

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
Last night was our second gig at the American Legion Hall in Carthage, Texas. These, and the VFW gigs, are dying of natural causes, but we'll take them as long as we can. IMO, the old veterans are dying off and younger guys don't care about this type of venue.
There were a few younger couples playing pool, but we'll see how this goes. Last time it rained, and it was really cold last night with snow flurries..so I'm sure that was a factor.

It actually went pretty well. Our Bandleader/Vocal/guitarist was getting some kind of radio transmission through his rig all through the first set. It was annoying during breaks but not audible while we were playing. His first concern was his amp, but I told him it was almost surely a cable acting as an antenna due to a weak shield. He finally replaced enough cables to completely quieten his rig and as you can imagine, I was right. :)

In other news, Ive been playing guitar through a Fender Rumble 100 for a couple of years now. The lows have always been a little flabby, and I've only recently thought to address that with what I have on hand.

My comp and EQ come from an old Zoom G1. I went into my main channel menu last night, reduced the low EQ by 3--which I assume means a 3db cut--and my rig sounded AWESOME. It was just the touch I needed.
All my Haggard material went over great. I also did "I Overlooked An Orchid " which I haven't sung in ages.

My carpal tunnel syndrome almost got the better of me during our last set. More on that to come.
It was a really good time overall, I'm just feeling my age I think.

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
Played a pickup band gig last night at a club in Ft Worth. A friend of mine has the weekly tuesday gig there, but he had a private party booked with another band and I got the call to sub. Fun band. We had two guitars, bass, drums and harp, and the other guitar player and I alternated singing. Mostly blues with a little bit of country thrown in. Most of the guys in the band are old friends that I don't get to see very often, so that was an added bonus. Ok pay, good tips, and a lot of fun. Played my AVRI Strat through the BF Deluxe.

saleake

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
On December 4, 2021 We played the Big 12 Championship Game Party at Troy Aikman’s club in Texas!Live in Arlington. We played two sets, one immediately after the game and one from 9:00 to 11:00. The first set was packed with folks leaving the game and stopping for a drink. We actually made more from our percentage of the bar tab than from the gig.

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
Played my usual Thursday night trio gig in Ft Worth. Good crowd (Stock Show is still in town, will be for the rest of this month), good tips, a few requests, good gig. Played my Gretsch 5129 through the Princeton. That guitar sounds really good, I really need to use it more.

2.jpg
1.jpg

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My last one, with Sean Orr at the Little Longhorn on Wednesday went well.
We sounded better than ever, IMO.
The crowd was small, but fully involved.
My Cabronita quit (!) on me at the end of the second set.
I fixed it yesterday.
I had my trusty avatar guitar in the truck.
I always have extra stuff.
I digress.
A former bandmate came out to hear us, I hadn’t seen him in several years.
All in all, a good one.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I just got home from a guitar gig with Donn, at his club Donn’s Depot.
My old friends Kelly (b) and Ruben (d) were with us this evening.
Great guys, and great players.
I was in as a sub for my friend Jon, who’s under the weather.
I used my Cabronita (fixed!), and Cube.
My trusty old Chet got pressed into service the first set.
We all sang and played our best.
Life’s good!

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My gig last night with Nathan Colt Young in Smithville went very well.
We played a benefit/auction for the local FFA.
We were fed and paid well, and had people dancing the entire time.
It was a joy seeing the young future farmers/ranchers having fun.
My go to rig worked perfectly.
I’m grateful.

Last edited:

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
How'd it go? Any pictures or video clips? Anything happen that was memorable? Anything you'd like to forget?

I'll start...

Played a Farmer's Market gig this morning with The Colorado Green Band our groovy little trio. We had to play early as our bassist had a wedding gig with another band and had a 12:00 noon load in, so we wrapped it up by 11:30. We played two sets and took a long enough break to go shopping as we were paid with "Market Bucks" that were good at any booth. Needless to say I got stocked up on groceries.

The vendors gave us props and the folks who thought we were too loud last time were happy. We played real quiet. Our drummer used her "$#!+ kit" that has an Irish bodhran for a kick, bongos for toms and a little snare from a cocktail kit along with hi hat and cymbals. Bassist used a little bass amp and I used a Peavey Backstage Plus. We didn't have the Bose for this gig, so we put a little Yorkville Elite cab on a pole and had it behind us as the PA. Bassist forgot his regular mic stand, so he improvised with a boom on a clamp that he hooked to the drummers hardware and shared his mic with the drummer for background vocals.

People passing by would kind of do a bit of a bop as they walked by. Parents had their little ones dancing to us and the market staff in the next booth clapped for almost every song. A train passed by and we broke into a medley of Folsom Prison Blues and Mystery Train. The guy at the cutlery booth came over and tipped us saying "You timed that perfectly." (Well, not really...)

The set list was peppered with more obscure Grateful Dead songs as it was the anniversary of Jerry's passing. One of our original tunes was responded to surprisingly enough as they could only have heard it the last time we played. We started from the back of the songbook and played some songs we hadn't played in a while. It keeps the rhythm section on their toes.

A woman who said she was an empath complimented us on our music saying "it grounded her immediately" and that she would have bought a CD if we'd had one. She got our contact info and said she had a friend who helped put together the local gallery walk and thought she might be able to get us a gig. You never know what contacts will pay off.

All in all, a good way to spend a sunny Sunday morning, playing music for friendly people.

Your turn...
Anything you'd like to forget?..ahh..i think i already did

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
Well, our most recent gig was in October at our bassist’s house party. Weather was nice. Really decent-sized crowd, I’ve definitely played quite a few smaller “gigs” in my day. Solid response and it was fun just to play in front of people again, it’s been a few years for me. Now we’re in preproduction for recording in the spring, but hope to play actual shows after that.

Anything I wish went differently? Eh, I was still experimenting with my tone so it wasn’t exactly how I wanted it, but of course no one else besides me cared.