1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk About Your Last Gig Here

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 9, 2015.

1. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Large crowd at winery yesterday, as unseasonably warm weather continued.
    Tight corner so we went as a duo, just vocalist and me on guitar and backup vocal. We stuck mostly to jazz standards; though we had one interesting request. A dad set his daughter in a high chair in front of us, after a few songs he asked if we would play Baby Beluga. Kat didn't know it but I've got grandkids, so I did it and got us a good tip;) IMG_20201108_140038867_HDR.jpg IMG_20201108_135938384_HDR.jpg

2. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Last minute gig at the Wild Boar in Knoxville. Band was tight and on fire. This was my second gig with the Marshall Origin 20h, it gave a wonderful rich tone. Love this amp. Played the 72 Telecaster Deluxe RI all night, was a great match for the Marshall.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My duo gig with Tracie Lynn at the Last Chance Saloon was fun!
    We played to a small but appreciative crowd, and sang and played our best.
    Venue owner Carl sat in on bass.
    I played my avatar guitar into my Cube 80XL.
    The venue may discontinue having music there on Thursday.
    Business is slow, and another lock-down appears to be imminent.

4. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played a really fun gig tonight at an event center in McKinney Texas, backing up a “tribute show”. There were two Elvis tribute acts, Cody Ray Slaughter and a 17 year old kid named Moses Snow, and a Jerry Lee Lewis/Surf Instrumental/all around fifties guy named Lance Lapinski. All three guys were great, highly entertaining and super cool and easy to work with. The band i played with (from what I understand) is kind of a house band for this venue, but their regular guitar player couldn’t make this one, so I was fortunate enough to get the call to sub. Band consisted drums, bass, keys and me, with a wonderful and super sweet gal singing backup. Took a little woodshedding time to get all the material down, but I had a blast and it went really well, so it was worth it. Pretty good pay, nice venue with house sound, and a fairly large (considering) and appreciative crowd.

I played my AV64 Tele through the Vibroverb RI. First gig with a Deep Blue delay pedal too. That thing is a slapback machine. Very pleased with it.

pic of my little corner of the world tonight.

06F644EC-E8F6-40E6-A4B6-101FADE79BFA.jpeg

5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Played a private party last night in a Mechanics Garage.
    It had been a full 9 Months since I had last played out.
    Personnel wasn't finalized until 11:30 that morning, load in was at 2pm. We played 4-7.

Zero Practice. Just a ton of texts and emails only to find out, somebody can't do it.

The worst of it was my Drummer calling me Friday's morning telling me he is in the Hospital because his Heart went in on Afib!
    Talk about grab yer ass an GO!

Anyway, the bass player who happens to be a very accomplished Drummer in his own right, switched over to Drums because we found a very good Bassist.

I played my '78 the Paul through my '73 Musicman.

I am happy to say it went very well.

Jim W, telestratosonic, AAT65 and 4 others like this.
  6. brookdalebill

Last night’s gig with the Joel Hofmann Band at Buck’s Backyard went well.
    The crowd was small, but fully involved.
    The sub bass player acquitted himself well.
    He played an upright bass, and it was obvious he learned the material
    Another good one!

Teddyjack, skerwo, dougstrum and 3 others like this.
  7. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

80595B86-0BD3-41E5-8D89-5987107C6D29.jpeg

Played a live stream with the R&B band this afternoon for the Musicians Union local. They have a lot of funding left over from a couple local festivals that were cancelled this year due to twmnbn, so they’ve been featuring live streams from local clubs on their FB page and using the festival money to compensate the musicians that were cancelled. Our live stream was at the Shipping-Receiving bar in Fort Worth. It’s a real tomb of a room, basically an old brick warehouse, and inside is all concrete and hardwood, but I was happy to have the gig. We kept the stage volume pretty low and it worked out ok. Usually when I’ve played this room it’s been with a full big band (5 trumpets, 5 trombones, saxes, etc), so this wasn’t that bad.

Only got to play an hour, but it was great to play with these guys again. This was the first time since March for this band, but we got together a couple times for informal rehearsals and each individually spent some woodshed time refreshing our memories.

It was just us, the “live stream guy” and one of the union guys there, but from what I can tell we had an ok crowd watching. Played my AVRI 57 Strat through the Princeton reverb.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  8. brookdalebill

I picked up a bass gig last night.
    I had a one day warning to learn a bunch of fairly simple new material.
    I, ahem, did well!
    The venue was the Pour Haus in New Braunfels, and the leader was a young singer/guitarist named Anthony.
    The drummer was my friend, Eric V.
    We sounded fine, and the three sets flew by.
    It was outdoors, and the last set was pretty chilly.
    We soldiered on.
    I played my P bass into my “big” GK 2-12 rig.
    I had a beautiful time!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  9. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

713AB55D-A3C6-4416-A400-5BEE3EFDD9B5.jpeg 762A8461-2A22-402A-A0CB-575700F084EA.jpeg Played the old dancehall in Midlothian last night. Slower crowd than usual but still pretty good. We’re not scheduled to be back in there until next March. Hopefully it’ll still be around then.

Fun gig, several requests, all managed to be pulled off. Our buddy Roger sub’d on bass and did a great job. The owner (who is also a pro player around town) sat in on a tune, and brought a b-bender Tele with him. I’m embarrassingly unfamiliar with b-benders but I played it a little. I also brought a friends baritone out to try on a few tunes. Now I’m GAS-ing for a b-bender and a baritone or Bass VI . I shoulda known better...

Otherwise, I just played the AV64 and Gretsch-Tele through the Vibroverb Reissue.

10. brookdalebill

I had two very pleasant gigs this weekend.
    First was in Fayetteville, Tx with Amber Lucille.
    Saturday evening we played to a small, distanced crowd, but we sang and played our best.
    I played my avatar guitar through my Cube amp.
    Yesterday I played with Nathan Colt Young in Sweet Home, Tx.
    We were five piece.
    This was my second gig with Nathan, and the band sounded tight and professional.
    The sub drummer was very good!
    I again played my avatar guitar through the trusty Cube.
    It’s the best country rig I’ve ever had!

11. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

811660F4-D4CD-4752-A666-91DD1B018E64.jpeg

Played a Patsy Cline tribute show in Llano, Texas today. Band was steel, fiddle, bass, drums and me. Keyboard guy had to back out last minute so I had to (attempt to) cover some piano parts, but it worked out. Most of the band were pick up players, but everyone put their homework time in on the material and it went really well. Very appreciative crowd, pretty good pay, and I enjoyed the drive (pretty country down that way). Played my Gretsch Tele through the Vibroverb Reissue.

12. Teddyjack

Teddyjack Tele-Afflicted

I played my first gig since March earlier this evening...sort of. A friend in Brooklyn organized a virtual house concert with six singer/songwriters on Zoom. I was initially apprehensive about how it might go but in the end I had a great time. It felt good to play some songs and hear other people perform. As fun as it was I'm looking forward to live gigs again.

13. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

AB09CE00-0B03-49A5-8B1B-C1B077FAEF1D.jpeg Played Legacy Hall in Plano Texas tonight as a sub with a country band. I’ve heard of this place but this was my first time there. Very cool venue, kinda like a stand-alone food court with alcohol and live music (ok to be fair, a very fancy food court full of young pretty people...fortunately they let me in anyway). Band was mostly younger guys from Denton, or younger than me at least. I only had a couple days to prepare but they sent me an encyclopedia of charts, and I knew a lot of the material fairly well anyway. Went pretty well, a little chilly (outdoors) but not too bad. Fun gig, big nice stage with house sound, pretty good pay and good guys to hang with. Played my AV64 Tele thru the Bassman RI.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  14. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Played the Christmas Parade on the town square in front of the courthouse. About 2 hrs leading up to the arrival of the Christmas parade and about 15 min prime time post parade. Great crowd. I had decided to have two monitor mixes, and sub on aux, so had the best monitor mix ever, ..... I enjoyed. Nice warm 45 degrees, played with gloves on.

B3B7504E-4E9E-4136-B897-8D1F3E00DE74.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  15. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

29F4E257-62D6-456F-A48A-0F20CBCC5790.jpeg Played a sub gig tonight with a country band (the same band I subbed with last week). Gig was in Bartonville, Texas, a little south of Denton. Venue was an old gas station that has been converted into a restaurant, bar and meat market. Cool place, good food, real nice folks, nice stage and house sound.
    Good crowd, pretty good dough, fun gig. Played my AV64 Tele through my BF Deluxe.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.