1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk About Your Last Gig Here

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Saturday had spectacular weather, if a tad WINDY, but for the current "situation", that worked fine. I got my guys together for the first time since February. We played for 3 hours and had a ball! Love this band! Audience was a few family members and very close friends, all that act responsibly.

I played my "Alligator" Strat and my new red sparkle Tele Partscaster. (Squier Bullet red sparkle body, Allparts TMO Fat neck, Fender OV 50s pickups), through my 1968 Twin Reverb with Emi Lil Texas speakers. FUN!

upload_2020-10-14_20-33-18.png

2. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

8EC27CC3-509B-4C6C-8DDE-EACDC73C5CF9.jpeg Played a live stream last night with a singer/songwriter I’ve known/played with for years, Bain Ennis. He’s also a VERY talented guitarist, and has an old D18 that is probably my favorite acoustic guitar on the planet (the covet is strong for that guitar). I’ve known the other guys in the band since we were kids, and always enjoy getting together with them.

The gig was at Poor David’s Pub in Dallas. It’s been around forever, but they moved a few years back and this was my first time in the new place. The sound/live stream guys were great and easy to work with, and from what I’ve heard the mix was pretty good. Played probably 90% Bain’s originals and the rest were covers kinda redone to his liking. Very fun gig. Played my Gretsch-Tele and LP Special thru the RI Vibroverb.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  3. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Traffic was crazy on way to the gig, chilly but sunny day, think everyone was out this afternoon.
    We had an enthusiastic crowd which helped me as my fingers were a bit cold;
    temp only in upper 50's and tent over the stage kept us in the shade. With the wineries reservation set up we played two 1 1/4hr sets with 1/2hr break in between.

Getting set up~ IMG_20201017_134513887_HDR.jpg IMG_20201017_140146174_HDR.jpg

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve done three very pleasant duo gigs with Tracie Lynn recently.
    First (Thursday) was at the Last Chance Saloon in Austin.
    Alas, we almost outnumbered the audience ;), but we sang and played well.
    Friday’s gig was at the Silver Creek Beer Garden and Grille in Fredericksburg.
    It was outdoors, and we played to a very appreciative audience of diners.
    The food was excellent (part of the pay) and we did our job very well, if I do say so myself!
    Yesterday’s gig was the best.
    We played for a wonderful family gathering at Blanco State Park.
    Our hosts were kind and generous!
    I played my two B bender Teles, and had a great time.
    Tracie is a wonderful songwriter and all around great gal.
    Yes!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  5. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

dougstrum, dannyh and brookdalebill like this.
  6. brookdalebill

I played bass with the Joel Hofmann Band last night in Martindale last night.
    It was quite chilly, about 50 degrees, but we soldiered on and played well for a small but enthusiastic crowd.
    Joel was about 30 minutes late because of a family commitment.
    Except for temperature, it was pleasant!
    I played my P bass into my “big” GK 2-12 rig.

7. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played the old dancehall in Midlothian last night. Pretty good crowd considering, most all of them masked up. I spent my breaks outside, nice night for that, fortunately. Had a bunch of musician friends come out and sit in, and that was fun. Band sounded good, played a few new ones, covered most all of the requests. Pretty good pay, a lot better than I’d anticipated. Fun gig.

Played my AV64 Tele and LP Special through the RI Vibroverb. Pulled out a partscaster I finished a few months back as well, a Strat with SD Lipstick tube pickups. It worked well with this material, I see it getting a lot more use.

I also picked up a Mad Professor Sweet Honey overdrive last week. Wasn’t sure about it after trying it out at the house, seemed WAY too bright for me, but I got it dialed in on the gig and was VERY happy with it, and with how it performed with all three guitars too. I get the hype now.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  8. brookdalebill

I played with Amber Lucille at Middleton Brewery in Wimberley last evening.
    We had a few tables of listeners.
    One rowdy table of birthday revelers kept us busy with requests.
    I played my avatar guitar for the first set, and my EJ Strat for the second.
    I had tuning issues with the ol’ B bender guitar, so I switched.
    Alas, I did not have a great first set.
    The second was better.
    Amber and Joe sounded great.
    The sound guy is an old friend, and he dialed us in
    perfectly.
    Though I was not my best, no one seemed to notice or care.
    Gotta get my game up!

9. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Winery gig went well, nice to have a bass player on board again! For the past six months I have been using big jazz guitar, and drummer's been using brushes, while we back our singer. Man I forgot how hard a cranked Tele can drive my little 6v6 amp:cool:
    We mixed in a lot of old country, blues, and rock as bass was not yet up to speed on all the jazz standards we usually do.
    Here are some set up views from balcony we play on IMG_20201024_135122756_HDR.jpg and new bass player~ IMG_20201024_135116614_HDR.jpg One good thing about hauling the gear up there is no one below complains about the volume:D

10. brookdalebill

I had a very pleasant “twofer” yesterday.
    I played bass with my friend Ace (song start?;)), at Barton Hills Farm Park in Bastrop.
    Ace is a great rockin’ guitarist/singer/amp builder/music store owner-JAM’S Music.
    We were a trio, with equally great drummer, Eric Vasquez.
    Though EV and I just met yesterday, we all played very well together.
    I played both my basses (not simultaneity) into my GK 2-12 rig.
    We played on a big outdoor stage, to a nice, distanced and masked audience of young parents and their kiddos.
    It was a joy!
    The stage manager, Kris was super helpful.
    Great gig and pay!
    I love “out of the blue” gigs like this.
    Next was the Hays City Store (restaurant) in Driftwood with Amber Lucille.
    It too was fun!
    The food (part of the pay) was superlative, and our waiter was great.
    The weather cooperated, and we played to a good crowd of distanced diners.
    I played my MJT Tele into my Boss ME50, into my Cube 80XL.
    Another groovy day, and I’m grateful!

11. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Had my first gig in a few months last Friday afternoon, with a patched together line-up of guys I've played with for years from different bands. The gathering was an end-of-year party for seasonal workers at the local golf course, and because of the you-know-what consideration, I was fine with us being situated quite a distance from the gathering. Food was on the house and there were large platters of shelled lobsters and clams. We were way too loud from the get-go for my taste, and the bass player got progressively drunk as we went and played like an idiot. Despite all that we had a pretty decent songfest and mostly fun time for 3 hours.

teletimetx, skerwo, dougstrum and 2 others like this.
  12. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Played the Loudon Theater last Saturday. Small but very enthusiastic crowd (was the day of the UT/Alabama bloodletting). The band was on fire, probably the best we've ever played in our 9-month history.

Split my time between Am Std Strat and the SG. First gig with the new Marshall Origin 20 head, and it did an OUTSTANDING job. I play pretty clean and use a pedal or 2 for od. Cleans are beautiful, the amp is very full and present without being too loud. Sounded good at home, but really hit its stride live with the band.

13. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

At my recent gig the other guitarist played his Les Paul and Nashville Tele thru his new Marshall Origin 15 combo, and that one sounded really good as well ... both mostly clean and thru an array of pedals. Definitely a worthy consideration in the smaller-amp ~ $500 range.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    brookdalebill likes this.
  14. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played a gig tonite with a country band I work with occasionally. Gig was an outdoor concert for the city of Roanoke, Texas, part of an ongoing concert series they sponsor every year. This band has played it for all 15 years that they’ve had the series, though I’ve only done it the last 6 years or so. Gig was at an outdoor pavilion, kind of a stone gazebo for lack of a better description. Crowd was smaller than most years but appreciative. This was the first gig this band has played since February, and the only gig since that time for the majority of the band members. Band was understandably a little rusty but for the most part all went well.

They brought in a new male singer a couple years ago and he’s been bringing some (sorely needed imo) new material to the band, and one of the newest is “Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress”, the Ronnie Dunn version (which is basically the same as the original Hollies version). I remember buying the 45 and picking out the intro and turn when I was a kid, prolly 13 or 14, but this was the first time I’ve ever played it out with a band, or at least that I remember. It made the night for me lol...we did it in D as our singer can’t hit Alan Clarke’s key (who can? Prolly why I’ve never played it out before), so I put bigger strings on another Tele and tuned it down a whole step. Kinda jangly feeling even with the bigger strings, but a cool sound, or was to me anyway.

Fun gig, good pay and done by 8:30. Played my AV64 and AVRI 52 Teles through the RI Vibroverb.

15. brookdalebill

I had a very pleasant duo gig with my old friend Bob Rose at Proof & Cooper restaurant last evening.
    We played outdoors to a decent crowd of diners.
    I played my new-to-me Duesenberg Starplayer Deluxe into my Cube 80XL.
    It sounded great and played beautifully!
    I sang through my my Fishman Loudbox Performer.
    I’ve known Bob since I was 21.
    We both sang and played our best, and were paid and tipped well.
    The staff and management could not have been nicer.
    Although it was a little cool, it was a great evening!

16. brookdalebill

I had two great gigs yesterday.
    First up was a trio gig at a nice, big senior living complex with friends Lamar and Paul.
    Paul is a brilliant clarinetist/saxophonist/singer.
    It was a joy playing with him!
    Wicked soloist!
    We all took turns singing.
    I played my Les Paul Custom.
    The small crowd of listeners really enjoyed us!
    Next I played Riley’s Tavern in Hunter with Amber Lucille.
    I played my B bender Teles.
    We were all ”on” and the small crowd there really enjoyed us.
    I’m off now till Friday.
    Great day!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Durtdog, dannyh and dougstrum like this.
  17. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Suffering cold fingers on Halloween. Used my ‘82 Washburn Falcon because a lot of the set list wanted humbuckers. In this clip, I tapped the coils for more of a Tele-ish twang.
    Oh, look at the pretty blonde amp! Yes, first gig with Tone Master Deluxe Reverb Blonde...I like it!

brookdalebill, dougstrum and dannyh like this.
  18. brookdalebill

My bass gig at Riley’s Tavern was fun!
    The one hour opening act set flew by.
    The Joel Hofmann Band never sounded better, IMO.
    Everyone sang and played their best!
    Another good one!

dougstrum and dannyh like this.
  19. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Thursday night was my first solo gig in about a year. I had done some shows with a trio in December & January plus one private party in July but I only sing about a quarter of the time on those gigs. So I wasn't quite sure how well I would handle two and half 50 minute sets.

I was pleasantly surprised by two things in particular:
    1. It wasn't until the third set that I could feel my voice getting really tired. I was expecting it to start giving out sooner than that.
    2. The gig came up with only two days notice so I didn't have a chance to practice everything. There were a few musical and lyrical hiccups but overall it was cool how much came back without having to really think about it.
    This was on the patio at a small brewery/bike shop in my hometown. They had been doing some live music in October by a friend of the owner's but she moved back to Florida. So even though the time change had the sun sinking an hour earlier, we had temps in the mid-60s so I asked to jump in. Had a nice little crowd of friends of mine as well as people who just stopped by for a beer and were happy to see the addition of live music.

One thing caught me a little off guard was how many people did not have cash to tip (makes sense in hindsight). I probably could have gotten ten free beers but I wanted $$$$$$. I don't even make it through two beers during a three hour gig and those were provided by the brewery. I do have a scannable link that will allow for tips via PayPal which has worked in the past but a couple people said they couldn't figure it out (it's really not that hard), and one person mentioned that they only use Venmo. I'll be setting up a link for Venmo to cover that problem but am at a loss how tech savvy people in their 30s through 50s can't use a simple form on their phone. Also, due to social distancing, I think I need to make bigger signs for the tipping link and maybe put small placards on the tables for that.

The place has a big semi-permanent canopy on order for the fall/winter so hopefully I'll get to do more of these as long as it's warm enough for my fingers (I'm good down to upper 40s usually).

20201105 TBL C.jpg

Attached Files:

dougstrum, dannyh and brookdalebill like this.
  20. brookdalebill

My trio gig with Ace Pepper in “downtown” Wimberley was fun!
    The turnout was fantastic, as was the pay, tips, and weather.
    Leader/guitarist Ace, drummer Clay and I (bass) had a great time.
    My sisters Kate and Margaret, and friend Virginia came out!
    My “tribe” very rarely come to my gigs.
    It was great seeing them!
    Another good one.
    I’m off for two weeks.
    Something usually pops up.

thatkeithmorris, dannyh and elihu like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.