1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk About Your Last Gig Here

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 9, 2015.

1. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Played “Music at the Mansion” last night with my Elderly Brothers band. First workout for my new Squier Paranormal Cabronita Thinline Tele, direct to Champion 50XL. We start at 17 minutes

2. cuscus

cuscus Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Greetings from the UK, fond memories of good times, I don't think we will be gigging any day soon now the weather has turned. Our band Skabretta usually play around 70-80 gigs per year, we have played just 7 this year, including 3 outside gigs recently.
    This gig was in the garden of a quintissential English pub callled The Pelham Arms in my hometown of Gravesend which is near London, we played the gig scaled down, with just one horn player & without our keyboard player who had to fly to Spain to be with her family, quite an enjoyable gig with an enthusiastic crowd.

dougstrum, dannyh, Togman and 2 others like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I played guitar and sang with The Amber Lucille Band at Hays City Store (restaurant) last night.
    It’s an outdoor gig, but the weather was beautiful.
    I played my avatar guitar and new-to-me Ibanez Artist 105.
    The place was busy.
    The food there is great!
    We played and sang our best.
    Another good one!

4. brookdalebill

I played bass with the Joel Hofmann Band at Riley’s Tavern in Hunter, Tx last night.
    We were the opening act for Texas country legend Johnny Bush.
    We played our best.
    Johnny Bush’s fiddler Ron Knuth sat in with us for the last few tunes.
    Great player!
    The show sold out.
    Another good one!

5. brookdalebill

I forgot to mention my duo gig Friday (yesterday) morning with my favorite duo partner, Lamar.
    Lamar plays keys, guitar and sings, all very well.
    We played a nice senior living complex in Lakeway for about 20 very appreciative residents.
    We were both very “on”, and the hour (10:30-11:30AM) flew by.
    We’re booked again there for a Halloween party.
    Hopefully, we’ll add the brilliant drummer Ruben H. (if he’s not leading his big band/orchestra) on that one.
    A great way to start the day!

dannyh, dougstrum and Togman like this.
  6. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Set my Tele aside to play harp for this

7. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played with my country band today. First gig for this band since February. Lotta rust to knock off, but it went pretty well. I’ve done a few gigs since TWMNBN hit, but for some of the guys this was their first gig back.

Gig was at the Traditions Club at Texas A&M in Bryan, Texas, and the event was a pre-game party for the Alumni/Members. Nice place, pretty good sized outdoor stage, super nice folks. Gig was only from 4-6, so we went straight thru with no breaks. This is our second time here, but our lead singer plays solo gigs for them pretty regularly, and we’re hoping to get the full band down there a little more often if we can. Took a few requests, and managed to pull a couple off we’d never done before. Like I said we were pretty rusty at first but locked in pretty good as we went along. Good pay, comp’d BBQ dinner and it was nice getting out of town for a little bit....fun gig.

Played my AV64 Tele through my BF Deluxe.

F4F690DE-6B39-4B13-8DA4-76E359FD1F0F.jpeg

8. brookdalebill

I just got home from a very pleasant gig at the Sweet Home (Tx) community center.
    I was a sub on guitar in the Nathan Colt Young Band.
    My friend Sean sent me in.
    NCY is a great young singer/writer, and his band was seasoned and tight.
    It was a joy!
    I struggled a little with some of his originals and more recent country covers.
    I’m outa’ touch!
    I played my B bender Cabronita into the Cube.
    It again sounded great.
    They liked me, and said they'd call again.
    It paid well, too!
    Yeah!

9. brookdalebill

I did a duo gig with Tracie Lynn at the Shore in Oak Hill last night.
    We played outside, and the weather was blessedly cool.
    I played my B bender Cabronita into my new-to-me Music Man RD112.
    I used my Boss ME50 for effects.
    I wasn’t particularly happy with my guitar sound.
    I’m playing again tonight in a trio with a different band.
    I’ll bring the same rig and try to dial it in.
    The gig was pleasant, and the Shore is a nice venue.
    Several friends came out to hear us.
    Another good one!

Teddyjack, teletimetx, Togman and 2 others like this.
  10. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

My new duo had a fantastic gig last night. It was at a winery about 40 minutes to the south in a more rural county. The people there are the best! They just love music, are very appreciative and love to have fun.

As I was loading my gear in I suddenly realized that I had forgotten something - my pedalboard! Oh crap! The main ingredients of this pedalboard are the harmonizer and looper. I have 3 pre-recorded loops that I use to give myself a little break from playing chords and have also gotten used to using it on the fly on several songs. Also in the pedalboard case was my Boss SPD-1 kick pedal which I have become VERY accustomed to using. Bummer. I told the singer "We're going to be performing totally 'organic' tonight" and away we went. Fortunately we've become much more comfortable after 10 gigs or so and the gig went very well. In some ways it felt very liberating to not be concentrating on all those pedals. For the songs that I used the kick drum pedal on I just played more percussively by pounding the palm of my hand on the guitar as I clawed at chords or pseudo bass lines (or whatever). We never missed any of the gizmotronics and probably performed much better as a result. At the end of the night the singer said "Don't ever bring that pedalboard to the gig again". :D

Not sure what I'm going to going forward - stay with the organic sound, use the gizmos sparingly or do as she say and don't bring the pedalboard anymore. :confused:

11. brookdalebill

I played at Riley’s Tavern with Amber Lucille last night.
    I definitely have had better nights.
    Amber and Joe sang and played well, but I was having a bad/mediocre time.
    I have no excuse.
    I played my B bender Cabronita and my Ibanez Artist.
    I have no gigs for the coming week.
    I’m going to go fishing, I think.
    My guitars need a break from me.;)

12. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played last night at Granbury Live, backing up three gal singers for a “Ladies of Country Music” tribute show. Had to work up about thirty songs and cover for a lack of keyboards on some of it. Everything from Kitty Wells to Trick Pony. Had a couple of “head up my ***” moments, but it was ok overall. Fun band, drums, bass, fiddle, steel and me, plus the ladies. Pretty good pay and a free dinner to boot. Played my Gretsch/Tele and J45 through my BF Deluxe and little Fishman amp.

42B19343-52A7-4DFB-9F6B-956933B77EB6.jpeg

13. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

gone gone gone

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  14. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Can someone change the title of this thread to “My Most Recent Gig”? I think some people construe “last” differently to most of us! :):lol:
    (Not that it’s not an interesting post... or something I’m sure some could relate to! ... but I think the late Paul was thinking about recent gig experiences, not final ones...)

15. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

how bout that now edit your post and all will be forgotten, now that is easy

AAT65 likes this.
  16. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I hope you repost in another thread though! I think “why I stopped gigging” is a perfectly good thread topic.

Togman likes this.
  17. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

We had a good time doing the video recording yesterday, ended up with 5 songs instead of 4.
    New bass player is a quick study and should be a great fit for the band:DYesterday was first time all four of us played together, though I have played with him in quite a few other situations.

The videos will be used for a virtual benefit, anxious to see how it turned out.
    All in all a good afternoon and nice to have a bass player on board again:cool:

18. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

I just read through this whole thread in a matter of weeks, and man, does it make me want to get together with friends and make some noise again. Even the "horror story" gigs make me wish I was up on stage with you folks!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Teddyjack, skerwo, teletimetx and 4 others like this.
  19. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played a wedding tonite in Paradise, Texas with my country band. Gig was at a fairly new event facility, a real nice place out in the middle of no where...so much so that it stumped everyones GPS, but we still managed to find the place. We were slated to play a two hour cocktail set before the ceremony, but yesterday we got word that things had changed and we wound up playing after the ceremony but before the reception (a DJ worked the reception...guess he had to deal with the Wobble requests instead of us). Odd as this schedule seemed, it was actually pretty smart; this gave the photographers two hours to get all their pics taken of the wedding party without the guests sitting around waiting on the reception to start.

We were outside, and facing the sun when we started, and it was pretty steamy, but towards the end it cooled down and was a beautiful evening. We had our buddy Wayne subbing on bass. He’s got great ears and is real quick on his feet and never missed a beat. Played a mix of classic country and a few RNR things. Nice folks, pretty good pay, dinner provided and I was in the car on the way home by 8:30. Good gig.

Played my AVRI 57 Strat through the BF Deluxe.

C71EE644-8F49-4582-A206-1B002E63BADE.jpeg

20. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

My last formal band gig happened last January and it was fairly 'meh'. The organizer hired us to play three sets but kept interrupting us during our second set. In the end, we only played 1.5 sets and as we got ready to resume the second set after a lengthy speech from him, he turned on an iPod instead. We then just packed up and left. The stage setup was hazardous too -- there was a rug that wasn't properly laid out before the drums and amps were set up so it was a tripping hazard. It was my debut gig with my new Vintera '50s Modified Tele, so at least it sounded decent.

My actual last gig in March (just before the lockdown) was more informal as a memorial service for a friend's family member -- just him, myself, and another bandmate (no drums) jamming on some folk, country, and blues covers. Highly enjoyable to play, though understandably a little somber and low-key.

brookdalebill and dannyh like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.