1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk About Your Last Gig Here

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 9, 2015.

1. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

Here's a new one: what was supposed to be a 10 pc band in a Newport mansion with 180 guests turned into a duo on an 80 foot schooner. It was really nice to be playing with my violin friend for the first time in 5 months- not my best singing with the rolling waves and the wind and such, but it sure was great. It felt pretty safe on the sailboat, too.

2. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Did an outdoor party a couple of weeks back. First time playing out since February. The band was a reunion of sorts with most of the players from my 1st good band from the mid 70s. The all original material is excellent, and the reason I even entertained (no pun intended) the thought of doing this again. Well, as I said, it was outdoors, in late August. Very hot and humid, and "luckily" a heavy thunderstorm came through with extreme lightning and torrential rain. Oh joy! My Tele's got wet, my Twin Reverb got wet ... EVERYTHING got wet, but somehow we saved it all. I'll reiterate my standard statement after 99.357% of outdoor gigs ... "I'll NEVER do that again!" ;0)

I think some of the music was good, but it's a vague memory, pushed out of my mind by the panic and frustration of dealing with the weather. Oy.

teletimetx, Togman, skerwo and 2 others like this.
  3. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Fret I feel for you, I hate that feeling of impending storm and having to scramble to keep equipment safe:confused:

Fret Wilkes likes this.
  4. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Well there was a steady drizzle all day, but the winery had a great crowd. We set up and played on a deep porch of an old farm house. Good pay, tips, and some dancing:)
    While we were packing up three young women were putting money in our tip jar.
    One of them said "love your energy, your music really made me happy":D

5. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

We did a garden party with invited guests 4 weeks ago. It was nice, people enjoyed it, we had our fun and played for 2 1/2 hours until police interrupted it due to complaints from some neighbours....which was kind to be expected.
    We had a sort of regular gig 2 weeks ago, being last minute substitute because the booked act fell ill.
    It's a club with about 80 - 120 people on a regular basis and usually the people are quite enthusiastic on a Saturday night.
    This time - due to the thing-not-to-be-mentioned - it was in front of 8 tables with something from 2 to 6 people on each table, all in all maybe 30 people sitting and watching and some nodding their heads to the beat......ah well, it was a start, but things definitely have to improve!

teletimetx, Togman, dougstrum and 2 others like this.
  6. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Exactly my experience on our first gig in july. Nothing really exciting :confused: but the only possibility to gig in these times.

Togman and dougstrum like this.
  7. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

My new acoustic duo played at a beautiful winery last night that's 2 miles from my house. The only thing that beats the convenience is the hours (5-8). The pay and tips good as well. We were out on the Piazza playing to what looked to be a capacity crowd, all socially distanced, of course, on what was about perfect weather conditions. The staff said we easily draw the largest crowds of anyone that plays there, so I see regular gigs there in the 2021 outdoor season.

This duo has been a learning experience for me, being the only instrumentalist. But last night a friend came out with a bag of harmonicas and joined us for 8-10 songs. He's a very tasteful player that knows how to fit in. The flip side of not having another instrument (other than my looper) is that I have total control of what I'm playing and can be as creative as I want.

I used my Godon A6 Ultra as I have been for the last 4 years on acoustic gigs and played directly into the PA. Someday I hope to use my Martin D28 on these gigs, but I still have to work out some technical stuff first.

teletimetx, skerwo, Togman and 2 others like this.
  8. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I played my usual weekly solo gig at the care home this afternoon. Just for a change I played my No. 2 Guitar - A CV50 Strat. It was a reminder of how amazing this Guitar is for less than half the price of my No.1 (MIM FSR Strat).

I've got another gig tomorrow (Friday) afternoon at another care home. Who thought at the beginning of this year that it would be considered an achievement to get 2 gigs in one week?!

Bramley Court 17.09.20.jpg

9. Togman

Another day, another care home gig.....

One of the staff kindly took some pictures today. Back to using my No.1 today - MIM FSR Strat.

Soham Lodge_1 18.09.20.jpg Soham Lodge_2 18.09.20 (2).jpg Soham Lodge_3 18.09.20.jpg

10. Gene O.

My duo played a birthday party last night in the club house pavilion on a private lake. There were a few moments where it was fun, but there were many things that made it not-so-fun.

We were contracted for 2 hours, but by the time we finished many of the party goers were feeling pretty good and, of course, wanted us to go on. One woman said she would get out her checkbook and pay us for another hour. We sort of said okay, but 20 minutes into overtime my cold fingers had enough. You see, we were outside the pavilion, near the fire table, but not close enough to get warm from it (you had to be sitting right next to it). It probably would've been better to be inside the pavilion, but that's where all the tables were set up. When we asked where they wanted us to set up, one of the guys pointed to the area near the fire table and asked if being in the corner of a block retaining wall would work for us. We said sure and then promptly found out that the 2 small tables in the corner were permanently attached to the concrete.

So all the people there congregated around the fire table and just inside the pavilion roof just to my left. It was a very close and intimate atmosphere. The vocalist totally botched the very first song, which we abruptly ended, and I think it was 1) having the PA speakers right behind us and 2) having everyone in such close proximity (it just felt weird). But what irked me about being so close to everyone was that a group of about 15 or 20 folks right next to us were talking and laughing the entire time, and not quietly. I guess that's normal, but it just felt a little rude.

Two party goers got up to play. The first guy was the husband of the guest of honor. He brought his own guitar and did a very nice job. He fingerpicked well and had a very nice voice. He was at least my age but hadn't played in a while and was just recently getting back into it. The second guy was awful, both playing and singing. he played my guitar, which was okay because it was so cold there was no way he would have sweaty hands, but standing by and listening to him was torture.

This was one of those "take the money and run" gigs for sure. I've played at this lake several times and each time has had pros and cons. I guess I shouldn't have expected anything different.

11. Togman

Nice report Gene O. I feel for you.

12. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

Well, I'll talk about the last gig I turned down: a 2nd tier woman Chicago blues artist who wrote terrible originals (some in 14 bars) and had some of the worst of the really really corny Willie Dixon stuff in her set list. I had worked with her before live/studio and she couldn't lead the band or tell us the next tune, key, tempo, no set list, etc. Forgot the words to her own tunes. Of course, nobody else in the band had listened to her material so they were clueless. Way too much trouble to play lousy tunes that turned into trainwrecks. Sometimes you have to say no...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  13. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Had a session yesterday, for a guy I’ve recorded stuff for in the past, said he had a last minute session, could I make it that afternoon. Played one song, a 6/8 slow blues tune. I put down two different rhythm tracks and made a couple passes at a lead track and I was done. Cool tune, good pay, and home before dark.

Played my AVRI 57 Strat through the Brown Deluxe.

14. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

@Gene O. Bummer, sounds like an awful night~thankfully those kind of gigs don't come around very ofteno_O

15. Gene O.

No, they really don't. But because they're infrequent I'll continue do them when they come along (as long as the pay is right). What made this one even more of a bummer was the fact that 2 days earlier we played at a beautiful winery 2 miles from my home for a great crowd, in absolutely perfect weather conditions.

dougstrum likes this.
  16. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I proved that if you are singing and playing guitar, and thinking how good we sound and how perfect we are playing, you’ll screw up. At the end of playing a riff between vocal lines I accidentally thru in a key change. It was only a micro second, but it got my mind back to business.

dougstrum, dannyh and Togman like this.
  17. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oh yes. I tend to run off the rails if i get into enjoying the music and forget about playing it!

dougstrum and Togman like this.
  18. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

How does it work/ not work singing through the mask?

19. Togman

To be honest, I mainly use the mic for a bit of chatter between numbers. The majority of my set-list is instrumentals (The Shadows/Hank Marvin). I sometimes sing a couple of songs that I know the residents will sing along with. Once I've got them going I back off the mic and leave it to them. They've never let me down yet!

But to answer your question, there is very little difference to singing with a mask on. One of the care homes I visit had an Opera singer wearing a face mask last week. The clips on FB were very good indeed.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    dougstrum likes this.
  20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I did a bass gig with the Joel Hofmann Band at the Rustic Tap on Sunday.
    I played both my basses, the PRS SE Kestrel, and P bass.
    The crowd was small, distant, and soggy.
    It rained!
    The stage was covered, so we soldiered on.
    We sounded good!
    Somewhat comically, the tip jar, including the tips was full of rainwater.
    The tips were completely submerged.
    Twenty seven soggy dollars (each).
    Kinda funny!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.