1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk About Your Last Gig Here

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I played a 1 hour solo set in the garden of a care home this afternoon. During this current crisis, they have a very good system whereby I do not have to enter the home to set-up. I call in at the foyer (wearing a face mask) to fill in a health questionnaire. They then take my temperature. Once complete. they let me through a side gate straight into the garden to set-up.

This week I used my CV50 Strat for a change (I usually use my MIM Strat). The Strat is run through the Line 6 Helix into the Bose S1 speaker. The Mic is also run through the S1. The backing tracks or on the Tablet (attached to the Mic stand), this is linked via Bluetooth to the S1 also.

A good afternoon. I managed to get them singing and we had a bit of dancing too.

Bramley Court 06_08_20.jpg

2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

wedding in the woods today

213CB37F-0DB2-404F-83A2-A90C1ACD98C9.jpeg

shout out to @Jakedog for the JBL and Yamaha recommendations, nice, easy, light, and got me compliments and a bizcard request

the singers were wonderful, as usual

turned round for Italian dancing

FD56A126-31AB-4FDF-A137-AC7D45B43F9F.jpeg

happy bride

teletimetx, Togman, dougstrum and 3 others like this.
  3. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Saturday June 11, 2011 was my last night mixing sound at the live music venue where I used to work. I was a slow night, we had less than 50 people and by the end of the night the crowd was much thinner. I popped Johnny Paycheck "Take This Job And Shove It" in the CD player and put it on repeat as I put away the microphones and wound up the mic cords.

ThermionicScott and dougstrum like this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice! Glad that stuff is working for you. I used mine outside today as well. Outdoor solo gig on Kelleys Island. It’s a great little system.

Togman, dougstrum and brookdalebill like this.
  5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

agreed, but I don't like the rat's nest under the chair and will probably fabricate a little mixer/pedals kiosk

Jakedog likes this.
  6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I use Velcro cable ties. I only let out as much of each cable as I need for any particular gig and placement. It really helps keep things cleaned up.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I played an outdoor music fest today. Big crowds, which I was okay with, until it started to rain, and everyone started gathering together in less-than-open-air environments.

I beat it the hell out of there at that point

This was an obligation from a long time back. I won't be pursuing other engagements for my bands, and I won't be encouraging anyone else to, for, I don't know, awhile.

8. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played a Patsy Cline tribute show today in Granbury, Tx. Pretty good crowd considering. Fun band, lotta great players and easy to work with. Everybody was really happy to be able to play a little after we’ve all been laid up...made it even more enjoyable. Gig was 3-5, home by 7. Played my “Gretsch-Tele” partscaster through my BF Deluxe.

teletimetx, skerwo, ndcaster and 3 others like this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I did my solo gig at House Wine for the first time since March last night.
    I really enjoyed it!
    The crowd was small, but appreciative.
    My “regular” gig was every first Thursday, I’ve had it for ten years.
    The venue only has music on weekends now, instead of Mon-Sat.
    I played my Goodall and sang.
    I opted not to amplify, and it went just fine.
    My tips were good, and I sang and played my best.
    Just for fun, I played the first two hours without a break.
    It was great to be back, I LOVE this gig.
    It’s the only time I play/sing whatever I want.
    Very liberating!

10. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Because of rain our gig was cancelled Saturday. Really bummed cause gigs have been so few and far between:(

11. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Yesterday I got the message that the burger grill pub where we should play our next gig, will be closed due to financial problems caused by the corona crisis :(. As dougstrum said - gigging is a really hard thing to do in these times.

12. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

Had a gig - 2nd of July for the 4th. Open air, lots of spacing at an gated community HOA for the shut-ins... I mean residents. Then on the 31st on my street/cul-de-sac because the wives of the producers/doctors/lawyers/others who share the street thought that since they were isolated, the musician on the street should put out. Of course no one else on the street does dingus for free - so I charged them.

Just booked a Friday afternoon gig for the next month (at least) starting on the 28th for a country club outdoor luncheon for the ladies weekly golf tournament/event. It's 11:30-2:30 midday so it's an easy gig and no drunks. Upscale events I can handle. Otherwise it's just a few studio sessions to fill some time.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    teletimetx, dannyh, Togman and 2 others like this.
  13. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

On Saturday we did the first, and likely only, gig of the year. Well, we are planning a live stream from an empty club, but that's not the same.

Two hours away, the last couple of miles on a very small dirt road, and we ended up in an old fishing village/shieling with two families living there permanently. Most of the old buildings are beeing used as summer houses though. Very pittoresque!

So this is the unlikely setting for an annual backyard punk rock festival. About 50 people camping in the backyard and twelve bands playing. The stage was on the patio and the back end of the dancefloor was limited by the pool.

Nothing except vocals was miced. We got on at 9:30 pm. After working on our new material and then recording a new album we haven't played our older stuff at all this year. Two weeks back we did a rehearsal for this gig. Man, we were rusty! One week ago we did a second rehearsal. A world of difference, this time we were very good. Now, on stage, at least I was feeling kind of rusty. Nothing really bad, just that feeling of no flow.

In third song everything got dark and quiet when a fuse blew. Maybe a minute later we were up and running again. Halfway through the set, two guys from the band that had played before us told me to turn up. I did, and all of a sudden it felt a lot better!

We played our set, we played our encores, and then we had to play some more. I would rather have skipped the last one (Pet Sematary) as we haven't played it in years and were quite sketchy on the details. Nevertheless, the audience, by now very sketchy when it comes to social distancing, loved it.

Got our stuff off the stage and into the car. Sold some merch, had a nice chat with one of the elderly summer house neighbours and then hit the road. Got home in time to have a few beers with the neighbours.

teletimetx, dannyh, Togman and 3 others like this.
  14. Togman

I played my regular weekly solo gig at a local care home this afternoon. These gigs recommenced at the end of July and so far the English weather has been kind and I've played in the garden every Thursday. Today was not to be. Due to the rain, they asked me to play just inside the door of the Communal room. They erected perspex screens as a Covid precaution to keep me separate from the residents. I also wore a face mask. This is not a problem as most of my set consists of Shadows instrumentals.

I underestimated how much sound these perspex screens block out. I kept getting asked to turn up the volume - a very unusual request for a care home gig!

Bramley Court 27.08.20.jpg

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had a very pleasant trio gig Sunday (23rd) with Amber Lucille and sub drummer Tom W.
    It was a joy!
    It was outdoors (but covered) at The Hays City Store in Driftwood, Tx.
    Though I knew Tom, I had not played with him before.
    Great drummer!
    We all played and sang our best.
    Amber played her Jazz Bass and I played my avatar guitar into my Cube 80XL.
    The venue is primarily a restaurant, and we had a good, appreciative audience, including dancing kids.
    Another good one!

teletimetx, dannyh, skerwo and 4 others like this.
  16. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played another Patsy Cline tribute show today at Arlington Music Hall. 2-4, home by 5. Small crowd, but appreciative. Big stage so the band was spread out pretty good too, glad we had good monitors. Band was drums, upright bass, steel, fiddle, acoustic guitar and me on electric. Played my Gretsch-Tele through my no-verb Deluxe.

Togman, teletimetx, AAT65 and 2 others like this.
  17. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Double post....d’oh

18. Togman

I did my regular weekly solo gig at the care home this afternoon. I learnt today that you should never get complacent. I had everything set-up and ready to go. About 2 minutes before I was due to start I glanced at my Strat and noticed that I hadn't attached the whammy bar! Given that my set for this gig consists of mostly Hank Marvin and Shadows tunes - it's a fairly important thing to have!

The gig went well and the residents enjoyed their hour of stimulation. I was playing indoors behind a perspex screen again this week due to the weather/Covid.

Fender MIM FSR Strat.
    Line 6 Helix
    Bose S1 Pro speaker.

Bramley Court 03.09.20.jpg

dannyh, teletimetx, Rob J and 2 others like this.
  19. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

Good for you for doing these gigs. Not only does it give you the opportunity to play in a relatively safe setting, the joy it must surely bring to the residents is priceless. These people have a difficult time even during normal times, and having someone come in to entertain them during these times of added isolation is a bright spot in their lives. I have done a few senior home gigs in the past and they were extremely rewarding for all involved.

Keep up the good work and stay as safe as possible while doing it.

20. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

What a gig yesterday, reminded me why I play Perfect weather, enthusiastic crowd, lots of compliments , chatter from crowd on break. We even had people dancing, with just vocals, drums, and guitar. Then we get paid.

Makes me wonder why I worry during the first couple of songs if folks will like us or even if I will remember how to play:eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.