1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk About Your Last Gig Here

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 9, 2015.

1. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

It was great to get out and gig today, last time we played was mid March. Took about half the first set to get things dusted off; then we were able to let off some steam. Used my big guitar and 6v6 amp. Also used my old boss rv-3 can't remember when I last used it. I'll have to start putting it to use again.
    Beautiful weather, and folks seemed happy to finally get out:cool: IMG_20200525_151235525.jpg IMG_20200525_151213693.jpg

skerwo, dannyh, 8trackmind and 4 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My gig last night in Canyon Lame was, uh, different.
    The bass player/leader was ill with a stomach ailment.
    He left the stage twice before leaving for the evening about 30 minutes into the first set.
    The fiddle player went on guitar, and I took over the bass.
    The fiddler also played bass on a few.
    It was a weird, but pleasant evening.
    I can sing and play guitar till you fall over, but I do not sing and play bass with nearly the same authority.
    The fiddler is skilled on his home instrument, and adequate on guitar/bass.
    The drummer sang a little too.
    The evening went well, considering....
    I’m grateful I was with pros who know how to step in and step up.
    The crowd was the largest in recent memory, about 50-ish people, and they tipped generously.
    I won’t forget this one!

3. brookdalebill

I played the same venue in Canyon Lake with the same players as my immediately preceding post last night.
    All went well this time, and we played and sang our best.
    One of the (lady) bartenders sat in and sang very well.
    It was a fun and profitable evening!
    P.S.: Please disregard my misspelling (Canyon Lame-Doh!) in the immediately preceding post.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  4. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

So, one of the singers I play with was getting bored. No paying gigs on the horizon so...we did a porch gig at his house tonight. He had circles painted on his yard six feet apart. It was both hilarious and genius.
    We played it safe for the first couple sets but the folks that stayed the longest got the best we had. I was surprised to get requests (Elvis Costello?) but hey, we had it in us.
    Neither of us noticed at the time, but there was a flower pot full of money when we were packing up. It was a hoot.
    I lost track, but 20 or so people at a time. The crowd rotated as we went. Some were just walking by and plopped down in the yard, some people drove by and came back. Some saw the commotion from their houses and just wandered over.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  5. brookdalebill

My gig at Baja BBQ in Canyon Lake with Amber Lucille was fun.
    We played to an enthusiastic and generous crowd.
    I played my avatar guitar and EJ Strat.
    Amber plays a mix of classic rock, country, and original songs.
    The 3 hour gig flew by!
    We sang and played our best.
    It’s great to be playing again!

Teddyjack, skerwo, teletimetx and 3 others like this.
  6. 8trackmind

Photo proof for the prosecution.
    I'm the idiot on the left. I'm glad
    the "Unplugged" Kurt Kobain music stand blocked the view of my cargo shorts.
    [​IMG]

7. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

last Fri, we played an OUTDOOR show on the GRASS for a community. We play several shows for these folks over the course of the year. Interestingly, we had TWO players with us that have not played with this lineup before. We have each played individually with the two players on and off but not all together as a 5 piece unit. Country, Rock some Blues.

I wrote a few charts for the tunes that may have been questionable but other than that "it all jived" . Many songs were actually tighter than the previous "regular" unit , go figure. I believe what happens is new players to a unit , pay closer attention to what's going on.

It was really fun and the audience of over 200 had no clue that 2 out of 5 in this band never played with us before , or rehearsed. But, with seasoned players , this is not unexpected.

Oddly enough, or maybe not, we were requested an ENCORE for a specific song, one this band has never played all together but we did it anyway .We all knew it . John Denver, Country Roads, not a hard song but it has a tricky chorus, easy to mess up. You can't fake it at "VOLUME" . Fill in Bass player sang lead, two of us sang harmony, add Telecaster and Pedal Steel and we could have made a hit record ( or maybe not). Country Roads, Season II :)

when we were done it was one of those moments, we all looked at each in silence and then said..uhmmm.. that was interesting ! :)

8. brookdalebill

My last gig was Saturday at Riley’s Tavern with owner/leader Joel Hofmann.
    I played bass, and friends Ace and Paul (not the Kiss guys ;)) played guitar and drums, respectively.
    It was fun!
    I brought both my basses, just to make sure they both got exercised.
    I’m back there (on guitar) with Amber Lucille this Friday, the 19th.
    Another good one!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  9. brookdalebill

I played with Amber Lucille at Riley’s last night.
    We had a small but enthusiastic crowd.
    I played my MJT Tele and my Elite Thinline.
    The Thinline sounded great, and the MJT played beautifully.
    The MJT may get a new bridge pickup, perhaps either a TV Jones Supertron or Duncan Stag-Mag.
    Another good one!

dannyh, teletimetx, Teddyjack and 2 others like this.
  10. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

We played a parking lot patio yesterday. It felt good to be at it again 4 months after our last gig. B6B37C47-04EB-48F3-B168-FE186E45CCC8.png

11. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Fun winery gig yesterday, we set up on second floor balcony overlooking the lawn and gazebo, bear hauling everything upstairs. Crowd was good, sound was good, tips were good, and we missed the Tstorms:D
    Had to work extra hard as our bass player just went to detox:( Did chord melody interspersed with bass lines and single note flurries, surprised to find I can still pull it off:cool: Forgot to get pics from the balcony, but here's the rig I used. IMG_20200621_094345570.jpg

12. harpdog

I muffed the lead here but it felt good to be out!

13. 8trackmind

Good recovery!

14. 8trackmind

Fourth of July with a 7 peice band.
    Everything was wet when we packed up. Especially us. I managed to stay out of all the photos but you can see the pink strat and a couple telecasters in the last photo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. brookdalebill

I played at The Hays County Store (restaurant) in Driftwood, Tx.
    I played guitar with leader/singer/bass player Amber Lucille and her husband, drummer/singer Joe.
    The moderate size crowd seemed to enjoy us.
    It was stupid hot!
    99 degrees at 6PM.
    It was only a little cooler when we quit at 9.
    The waitstaff and management were kind, and Amber sold several of her CDs.
    I had fun!

teletimetx, dannyh, dougstrum and 2 others like this.
  16. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

We played at a small pub tonight, reduced amount of guests due to corona. 2 sets and about 2 hours with about 6 or 7 of our own songs and a lot of southern rock stuff from Lynyrd Skynyrd and Blackberry Smoke. People enjoyed our music and they gave us good tips. We spent the money to the owner of the pub because they had a real hard time during lockdown and they gave us the chance to play live as the first full band for the guests. No streaming, no acoustic thing, just straight and pure rock'n'roll :cool:.

I brought out my custom made hss tellie and my Tweed Super amp with the 2x12 cab.

It's a great feeling to be back :)

20200718_190319.jpg

It was the first gig with my new band and it was a great one.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  17. harpdog

Parking lot patio last night. Half scale. Good will to help recovery from recent limitations. Free food & drink....

18. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Actually had a gig tonight....

A guitar player friend of mine had the gig tonight and his second guitarist has a family member that tested positive for “that which must not be named”, and is having to self quarantine. I was fortunate enough to get the call to sub. Gig was at a event center in Cleburne Texas. The gig was actually supposed to be at a small “listening room” that has live music regularly, or did until this year, but due to the size of the room and difficulties with distancing mandates they moved this one to the event center. Nice crowd considering the circumstances, and very into it. Gig was mostly blues and classic rock stuff. My friend is a monster player and it’s always a treat to get to play with him. Ive known the other band members for years too, so it was a very enjoyable evening for me; good way to break the dry spell. The only down side is that the second guitar player that I was subbing for is also a friend of mine, and I know it had to be killing him to miss a chance to go play. But I’m glad he’s doing the right thing and quarantining. Played my 57AVRI Strat and 333 through the Bassman RI.

19. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Another short teaser from our gig last Saturday

20. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Finally did the driveway concert yesterday afternoon, we were originally going to do it 2 weeks ago. Fun time we have not played together for a while.
    We all play in different bands now so we only do a few gigs a year. Sure was a blast to crank up the Tele rather than doing the polite jazz stuff I usually do.
    Gosh it was hot, but neighbors came out anyway. Fun to see little kids put money in the bucket. IMG_20200726_162828629.jpg

8trackmind, Teddyjack and dannyh like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.