1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk About Your Last Gig Here

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 9, 2015.

1. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Last night, the weekly brewpub. Another fun one! The house band was in fine form.

The guest this week was duo - they call themselves Muddy Ruckus. Man person playing guitar (and banjo for a few songs) with a woman playing drums; Ryan Flaherty and Erika Stahl. They had really good voices, interesting/creative songs and the audience was eating it up. All good stuff. They hale from Maine (Portland), but are doing a series of gigs in Austin and a few other spots in Texas, while on the road.

Played the tele through the old BF Tremolux. Yeah, that's the ticket. Also did one instrumental/celtic style Irish reel on a mandola; getting it warmed up for a St. Patrick's Day gig.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My solo gig at House Wine went well last night.
    I started an hour earlier than normal, and played a long, two hour first set.
    My friend (and favorite songwriter) George Palmer Macias came out and showed me one of his new songs.
    The weather was perfect, and the ladies in attendance seemed to enjoy my show.
    I decided to be completely “unplugged”.
    I normally do a few instrumentals, but last night I just sang a bunch of stuff.
    I’ve been playing there for 12 years now, and had my own solo gig for 11.
    It’s still fun!

3. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played a sub gig with a country band last night in Irving. Gig was at an Elks lodge, not sure what the event was, but good crowd, pretty good dough, and a dinner provided. Had to work up about 60 new tunes, and I stayed pretty buried in my iPad and felt like I was way too tentative, but the bandleader seemed ok with what I did, so I guess it went ok. I wasn’t real happy with my performance though....but I’ve got a couple more gigs lined up with them, so hopefully I’ll redeem myself (in my own mind if nothing else).

Played my AVRI Tele through the Princeton Reverb. Just got the Tele back from a fret dress (likely the last one I’ll get out of these frets) and it’s playing great right now.

4. brookdalebill

I did two yesterday, and both were fun!
    The first was in Canyon Lake, from 6-9 PM at restaurant/dancehall Goofy’s.
    Friends Billy (bass/vocals) and Kenny (fiddle/guitar/vocals) were in the (yet unnamed) band, and a drummer I had not played with before (Bill).
    Three guys named Bill!
    We’re taking over!;)
    Everything except the sound system operation went well.
    The system and the operators are still getting dialed in.
    Afterwards I did my regular Friday bass gig.
    It went well, too.
    Life’s good!

5. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

You´ve got the new name of the band or maybe the Three Bills ;)

dougstrum and brookdalebill like this.
  6. brookdalebill

Or Too Many Bills!

ThermionicScott, dougstrum and skerwo like this.
  7. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I’m back again saying the gig tonight was incredible. Better even than the last ones. Earlier gigs that also far exceeded my expectations too. How can this go on? Gigs just getting exceedingly better?

Tonight we played at an international destination ski resort. Probably about 80 guests in attendance. A restaurant. We were treated extremely well by the staff. They fed us well and provided great beverage service all night. Whatever we wanted. We felt appreciated.

The crowd was ridiculously active. Loud sing-a-longs as per usual but tonight they were up dancing on the tables. Up on the bar too like the movie “Coyote Ugly”. Several times. Many different people! The restaurant manager dancing like a fool on the bar. Human locomotive trains all night. People crowding the stage. Dancers all night on a packed dance floor. . It was insane. All we played was covers, but you’d think we wrote every song based on how the crowd responded. They kept thanking us.

Up here in my area of Canada people don’t generally tip bar bands. We don’t expect tips when we play a bar gig. Tonight a lady hugged me and said “You guys need a tip jar” and proceeded to slip me $50. 5 mins later someone showed up with a cowboy hat full of bills. They crowd passed it among themselves and tipped us....Never has that happen before. Wow. What an amazing night. Unforgettable!

8. brookdalebill

My gig at Black’s BBQ in San Marcos was fun!
    Our crowd was bigger, more attentive and more generous than usual.
    We all played and sang our best!
    I played my avatar guitar all evening, and it sounded great.
    I’m off now until Tuesday.
    Another good one!

9. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played Eddie V’s Dallas last night with The Rhythmators. Another packed house, good response, several requests (all fulfilled), good tips. Eric played keys again and killed it as usual. Fun gig. Played my AVRI 57 Strat through the Princeton Reverb.

10. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

This note on a coaster was passed to the band last night. It reads “Can You Play Where The Hell Is Alice?”

We’d never heard of it. I asked her to sing a bit and she said “It goes Bah, bah, baahhhhh”.

I associated it the crowd participation we often hear in “Sweet Caroline”. So be broke right into Sweet Caroline the requestor went away cheering with hers hands in the air. So I guess we nailed it? No idea.
    Anyone else have any clues on that song lyric?

A24177C7-90BB-46F8-9FC6-8FA0F98685F4.jpeg

McGlamRock and brookdalebill like this.
  11. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

They mighta meant this.

McGlamRock likes this.
  12. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I don’t typically participate here, because most gigs are just gigs. But last night was amazing. I play in the house band at the little dive bar I manage. We’re a four piece classic/alt country outfit, and we play the third Wednesday of every month generally. It’s a residency thing. We always have a good time, and we always have a decent turnout.

Recently we’d been getting a lot of feedback that even though it’s an early show, starting at 8pm, a lot of folks who wanted to see us couldn’t come out on a weeknight. So we decided to try a Saturday. Holy crap. The place was jammed to the rafters. You couldn’t move. It was like twenty pounds of marbles in a five pound bag. We were supposed to play 8-11. We played 8-12:30 cause they wouldn’t let us stop. The bar had a record night at the register, and my ass is dragging today. I am worn plumb out. By the end of the night our poor bartender looked like she got hit by a truck and dragged a quarter mile. Of course she perked right up when she counted her tips!

Back to the bar now to work my Sunday night shift. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I hope it’s a slow one.

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

The Unexpected Bills!

brookdalebill likes this.
  14. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

I hope she didn't mean this!

AAT65 likes this.
  15. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

i played a warehouse gig to celebrate my birthday with an oi! band, a goth band, and a soundscapey mod synth industrial act. i wish it had been better attended, but there were enough people for it to be fun. they had a birthday cupcake for me.

also it's nice to play someplace where they don't get mad about burning sage and using a fog machine.

16. brookdalebill

My regular Tuesday gig was good.
    We had an attentive and generous crowd, which is uncommon this early in the year.
    My beloved Chet and Cube served me well.
    I recently received a raise on this one!
    Cool!

17. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Played my monthly coffee shop gig for adults with disabilities. Since my playing partner passed away in November, I've gone to a dropping drum tracks into a looper and playing/singing along. Everyone seemed to enjoy it and I miss jamming with a friend of 30 years but he would have wanted me to continue. Peace.

18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

aye, the weekly brewpub. Had another interesting guest artist. Her name is Sofia Talvik, from Sweden. She's on a lengthy tour at the moment. First time we've had an act from Sweden, as far as anyone could remember.

She has a beautiful, beautiful voice, and her husband runs sound for her on a supplemental soundboard, tied into the house. He tossed in a few harmony box add-ins, but not too many, and she didn't really need any help. Interesting group of songs, all in English...made me wonder how hard it might be to write songs in Swedish, if it wasn't your first language.

She was not hard on the eyes either. Slightly larger crowd that usual, wonder why...

The house band was fine. We had a few problems re-setting the sound system after it had been adjusted for Swedish, i guess, but it was all fun. Played the telecaster, BF Tremolux, etc.

We were working mostly from a set list for a gig next week, a St. Patrick's Day gig. I'll put something over in the other thread on that.

I wouldn't be a faithful reporter if I didn't post a photo of our guest - from her website, taken by the hubby. I'm only sharing it as part of fostering international relations...

SofiaTalvik10byJonasWestin (2).jpg

tery, telestratosonic, skerwo and 3 others like this.
  19. brookdalebill

Both of my Friday gigs were good, but poorly attended.
    The first, at Goofy’s in Canyon Lake was fun, but at peak time we played to fourteen people.
    We had em’ dancing instantly, and kept em’ dancing.
    The tips were predictably light, but we played and sang our best.
    Next was my regular Friday bass gig.
    It was better, attendance-wise, but still lighter than normal.
    This band also sounded it’s best.
    The band scheduled for Saturday bailed, so I am playing there again tonight.
    It’s a lucky break in light of the current situation!
    Looking forward to tonight, and what it may bring.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    telestratosonic, dannyh and dougstrum like this.
  20. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Fun night. The group that opened was awesome all around. Sound girl was excellent, as was the PA. She told me to turn up [emoji2957]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.