1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk About Your Last Gig Here

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 9, 2015.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I may have resigned from my regular Tuesday gig.
    I say may have, but I’ve had it.
    I’ve done it way too long.
    I’m an OK musical fit, but totally miscast interpersonally.
    I actually despise most of the repertoire, and am not personally compatible with the leader and his drummer son.
    I hate to admit it (in a way), but it’s really only for the steady money.
    Kinda whore-ey on my part.
    Actually totally whore-ey.
    I suggested that another friend do Tuesday, and I keep the more fun, and more lucrative Friday bass gig.
    The leader said he’d think about it
    I bit my tongue.
    He can think all he wants.
    He just wants to appear to have control
    Whatever.
    I’ve played for the leader intermittently for decades, but I just plain dislike the guy.
    I always have.
    Anyways, I’ll be relieved to give it a break.
    Maybe (hopefully) for the rest of my life.
    It’s embarrassingly bad, lame, loud, and completely lacking in finesse.
    Drummer son is a basher.
    Whine, whine, whine, I know.
    Anyways, we’re all big boys, the world will keep on spinnin’.
    I played my groovy new Dentist-caster PRS, but even it could not lift my spirits.
    Regular gigs help pay the rent, but I’ve had it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  2. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played a private event for an upscale retirement community with my Country band. We’ve played for these folks several times before and it’s always gratifying. They really enjoy live music. We started with country but eventually moved to 50’s and 60’s RNR/RNB as that’s what was really moving them. Fun playing some different tunes with this band.

What a contrast from the British Invasion gig I just did...after that gig my ears rang for a couple days...way loud gig. This gig was the polar opposite. MJ, our drummer is one of the quietest drummers I’ve ever worked with, and he used strictly brushes and hot-rods (or whatever they’re called) on this gig. We used one main on a pole and one monitor, and it was perfect. I played thru my brown deluxe...yeah, I know they’re thought of more as cranking amps, but I like the clean tone of mine and it worked out great. Fun gig and pretty good dough.

[​IMG]

3. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played a Mardi Gras party/Democratic fundraiser tonite at the Stagecoach Ballroom. Big crowd, lotta requests and dancing going on. The band was an amalgamation of a party band I played with for years, with a few extra players. Band consisted of keys, drums, bass, fiddle, sax, trumpet and me. The horn guys were monster Dixieland players, so most of the tunes kinda morphed into Dixieland (imagine “You don’t have to call me darlin” Dixieland style. Sounds weird but it worked lol). Lotta fun.

Played my AVRI 57 Strat and Gretschcaster thru the Princeton Reverb.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  4. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Great pizza, great crowd, and we played well. Our drummer got stuck having to teach a class last night. He arrived for 2nd set, good thing he only had a cajon last night;)
    The owner and staff love us:) I gravitated to the blue Tele again, just something special about that guitar:cool: IMG_20190328_091455604.jpg

5. brookdalebill

I had two fun gigs yesterday.
    First was an early 6-9PM gig at Goofy’s in Canyon Lake.
    The venue has great food, a big stage, brand new PA, and a big dance floor.
    Though I’d never met the pedal steel guitarist and drummer, both were great!
    Bass player Billy is an old friend and frequent band mate.
    This is a generous base pay+tips gig, and we were well paid and well received.
    I played my avatar guitar and my new MJT T style.
    I haven’t quite dialed the pickups heights in on the MJT, but it played beautifully.
    My friend Kelly covered my first set at my regular bass gig, so I got back to Austin to do the last two.
    I played my P bass with it’s new tortoise shell pickguard.
    I felt stylish!
    It was a great day!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  6. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played the old dance hall in Midlothian with my country band tonight. Another good crowd, good response, a bunch of requests, good tips. Broke out some new tunes; they went well. Fun night. Played the AVRI 57 Strat and the AV64 Tele through the Vibroverb RI.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Hosted an acoustic jam yesterday at a winery that I usually play with my band.
    Folks had fun; and I coaxed a couple of shy players to get on stage:oops:
    The owners were happy as there was a good crowd, though he asked me to bring the volume down at one point. I always wonder how some people are so totally unaware of how loud they are. Jams can be fun but also frustrating to try and run:rolleyes: IMG_20200223_145644618.jpg Great acoustics in the big green house, and I love playing there with the band;)

8. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Last Saturday we played a surprise 65th birthday party for a friend's wife. Small club
    with about 40 guests. Keys, two guitars, bass, drums, percussion and a sax player. It was
    indeed a surprise and we all had a lot of fun. Played a good variety of tunes from several
    genres and we (tried) as many requests as we got and some weren't too bad. All of us
    used the Ultimate Guitar app for lyrics and changes (if needed) as it was a pickup band
    but we all knew and had played in different bands together through the years.

9. brookdalebill

My singing telegram gig was fun.
    It was a long trip, for a 5 minute show.
    I, attired as a singing cowboy (to the best of my ability) sang a mashup of Tommy Tutone’s Jenny Jenny, and The Cupcake’s Going To The Chapel.
    Ah, show biz!
    It paid well, and I think the ladies, kids and dogs were entertained.

10. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played a corporate party last night in Austin with a country band I work with occasionally. Room was a tomb, all concrete and laminate flooring; loud and boomy. The bandleader can be a bit of a control freak, especially about volume. It was interesting watching him deal with the room lol. This is not a loud band and everybody seemed to be really making an effort to keep it down. He understood, it was just frustrating for him. Oh well...

Fun gig otherwise, good money, had some great fried chicken, and done at 10. As an added bonus I got to hit the Czech Stop in West on the way down for kolaches...[emoji16]

Played my AVRI 52 Tele and Gretschcaster through the Princeton reverb.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  11. brookdalebill

Where did y’all play?

12. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

MAX’s Wine Dive downtown, one of the basement rooms.

brookdalebill likes this.
  13. brookdalebill

Cool, I haven’t had the pleasure of playing there.

dannyh likes this.
  14. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Last gig I played on Tele was a swing group at a local wine bar -- piano, bass, guitar, vocals. No drummer. It went fine, but I decided to bring my littlest pedal board and stepped on my tube screamer clone a couple of times for some solos, nothing outrageous, just slightly above unity volume and only a little grind. But apparently one of the patrons texted the band leader (who wasn't at the gig) that the guitar was too loud :eyeroll:

Otherwise, I just got back from Seattle doing a little 2 day performance art type event called 12 Minutes Max, which, as you might guess, means that each performer get max 12 minutes for their piece :) Mainly dance and performance art, with a couple of singer-songwriter types. Played that on my nylon string with a vocalist doing You Don't Know What Love Is while a pair of dancers did their thing. It was actually fun, I haven't done anything similar really since just after college, so about 27yrs ago.Not exactly a money maker, but I did get a nice little trip up from Portland to Seattle for the weekend, so like a psuedo-vacation.

Saw a 50s Tele at Emerald Guitars that was marked at $120k!!

15. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Did the weekly brewpub. Fun night, hard not to have fun, actually.

Guest artist was Chris Wilcox, singer/songwriter out of Nashville. Had a great voice, sort of halfway between Lucas Nelson and his own, strong songs, plus: had two fine, young musicians backing him up. Excellent keyboard player and lead guitar. Mostly out of Charleston, SC, where Chris Wilcox got his start, so to speak.

House band was in fine shape; harmonies were good, etc. Played my little LP Studio and uh, I missed my tele...the LP is OK, it's the P-90's version. However, our song selection varies every week, out of a couple hundred choices and this week, might have been more comfortable with the tele, I suppose. Small pedalboard, BF Tremolux.

Fun anyway, and the hired guns from the guest act joined us for half of our second set, and that was great fun! They got the biggest kick out playing with us? We were just pleased they got up with us...go figure...

16. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Back at Eddie Vs Dallas with the Rhythmators tonight after a couple weeks away. Good crowd, good tips, several requests, and.....after many years we got a pay raise. Very nice.

Eric subbed on keys....he’s a great fit and kinda becoming the guy. Fun gig. Played my AVRI 57 Strat through the Princeton. My view this evening:

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. brookdalebill

My gig last night at the Pearl in Lockhart was interesting.
    We had difficulties with the provided PA.
    After much gear shuffling, we got it working.
    We sounded good, and the small crowd was appreciative.
    The stage is tiny, and the four piece band totally filled it up.
    The bass player wanted the drummer to use sticks, not brushes, and they squabbled about it.
    It’s a small restaurant/bar and I personally thought the brushes were a good idea.
    He’s a great drummer.
    Luckily, the crowd and management were not aware of the rhythm section drama.
    The upshot is the bass player and drummer now have a problem with each other.
    Some people’s kids!
    I despise drama.
    If I wanted drama, I’d be an actor.
    Sheesh!

18. yyr123

yyr123 TDPRI Member

Cool, Bastrop here myself !!!

19. brookdalebill

I did a couple of gigs yesterday.
    The first was in Blanco, Tx at 300 BBQ.
    I subbed on guitar with the Lost Sounds, though I only actually played a few songs.
    The gig was scheduled from 6-7:30PM.
    We sound checked at 6:30, did three songs, took a break, ate, and listened to a rather long presentation.
    I had to leave by 8 to make my next gig.
    I only played the three songs.
    This (having to leave because of scheduling) has happened a few times lately.
    My next gig was my regular Tuesday guitar gig, which went well.
    I actually got raise on this one.
    My pay was doubled!
    Anyways, I played well on both gigs.

20. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

You, sir, are a warrior.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.