Talk About Your Last Gig Here

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 9, 2015.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had a great, busy weekend!
    I did my regular Friday bass gig to a packed club.
    We played and sang our best, and fielded many requests.
    Saturday I did a duo gig with Tracie Lynn at Wimberley Glassworks from noon to 3PM.
    I really enjoyed both the gig and the glassblowing demonstration.
    Later (9-1) we played a trio gig in the hamlet of Cistern, Tx.
    Drummer Jane really lifted us, and the small but attentive crowd danced and tipped frequently.
    Sunday afternoon (3-5) I did a duo gig with old friend Bob at Middleton Brewery in Wimberley.
    The crowd really enjoyed us!
    My (sub) gig at Pecan St. Brewery in Johnson City with the Lost Sounds was fun, too.
    Yes!

2. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Have done a couple of the weekly brewpub gigs; last night was a bunch of fun.
    Our first set we were on it; felt good to have the bass player back, and a nice crowd to boot. Played my favorite tele through the little SF Princeton. fun!

Guest artist: locally well-known singer/songwriter Ken Gaines. He's an excellent song crafter, has been performing for close to 30 years maybe, brought along his long time sideman as well, Wayne Wilkerson. Very fine player. It was a good night.

3. brookdalebill

My regular first Saturday gig at Black’s BBQ in San Marcos was a joy!
    I have a allergy/respiratory hassle, so drummer Frank and leader/bassist Billy took up my slack.
    I was able to sing, but I had to drop/lower the keys on
    most of my tunes.
    The three of us are very seasoned, and very musically compatible.
    The smaller than usual crowd was generous and attentive.
    The BBQ is easily my favorite, too.
    My trusty avatar guitar and Cube amp served me well.
    Yes!

4. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Last Thursday night winery gig. Nice folks, good wine. Our band has seven members - three out due to illness. Female singer, lead guitar and drummer. We muddled through as a quartet - female singer, keys, rhythm guitar and me on lead, stripped down PA. Typically I am on bass. The four of us seemed to work with the winery ambiance, the winery owners liked us. I was told that the last band with a drummer was so loud that the customers were driven outside.

I played my ‘95 AmStd - stock p/ups - into usual comp, OD, delay pedals, then into early ‘90s Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb.

5. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played Eddie Vs Dallas with the RnB band last night. Good crowd, good tips, William subbed on keys, he was wonderful as ever. Good gig.

Picked up one of the new “Original Collection” LP Special TV guitars this week. Sold an amp I never used anymore to pay for it and had enough left over for lunch afterward . Great guitar, really digging it. Was great for this band too. Played it thru the Princeton Reverb.

[​IMG]

6. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Really rushed set up for winery gig today. Bass got there an hour early~ Drummer, singer, and I arrived half hour before start:eek: Dummer brought full kit, somehow we all fit in the corner. Got playing by 5 after 1; not too bad. We mostly do jazz standards; our singer likes to do a quick sound check. I launched into Jimmy Reeds "you got me running" while she checked out the levels~ not jazz but funo_O IMG_20191006_140905801.jpg IMG_20191006_140836186.jpg

7. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Had a great show on Friday with the country band. Band was tight, and the crowd loved us! We even dared open the show with an original :eek:

8. brookdalebill

My sister and I had a great duo gig at Linda’s Fine Foods in Wimberley, Tx.
    Owner Linda stayed late and listened to our whole show, along with a couple of her friends.
    We really appreciated it.
    My friend and sometime duo partner Chuck came out and listened, too.
    My good ol’ Goodall;) acoustic sounded great and stayed in tune beautifully.
    My sister was in great vocal form and we sang our best.
    The food was wonderful, too.
    It was a joy!

9. brookdalebill

I just finished a trio gig with friends Lamar and Bob at the Atria Senior Living Complex in north Austin.
    There was some confusion about the start time, so we had very little set up time.
    It worked out well.
    Bob was a little late.
    I played bass on the first tune, then switched to guitar.
    I played my B bender Cabronita.
    It plays beautifully, but I have different TV Jones pickups on order for it.
    It will get the same pickups as my Chet, a Supertron neck and Classic+ bridge.
    I love this semi-regular gig with these guys.
    Playing music with compatible friends is hard to beat!

10. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played a sub gig with a country band tonight in the Ft Worth Stockyards. Gal singer, her husband on acoustic rhythm, drums, bass, steel and me. They were supposed to get me a setlist and some charts for their original stuff, but there was a mix up with my phone number and all that got texted to some random stranger (I hope whoever it was got the tunes worked up ok lol), so we mostly stuck with standard stuff. Fun gig. I already knew the drummer and bass player and they’re both veteran players, as was the steel player, so it was pretty easy. Only drawback was that it was an outside gig, and it was pretty chilly by the end of the night. But we layered up pulled it off ok.

Played my 52 AVRI through the Vibroverb.

11. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I had two gigs today....

The first was with a country band I play with sometimes. The gig was at an outdoor festival in Roanoke, Tx. The band played from 3:30 to 5. Good crowd, good response, big stage and sound/lights. The band sounded pretty good, especially considering this was the first gig in a least a couple months for these guys. This band consists of drums, bass, steel, acoustic rhythm guitar, me on electric, and male and female lead singers, and it’s mostly classic country, though they do a few pretty recent things too.

Second gig was with the Rhythmators at Eddie Vs Fort Worth. Had the regular lineup, and a pretty good crowd but pretty dead from a response (and tips) standpoint. Oh well.

As far as rigs go, I experimented a little on the first gig and took my Princeton Reverb. I figured since I’d be mic’d in a big system it might be a pretty good choice. I probably won’t try that again. Amp worked fine but I would have preferred to have an amp with a little more girth and a little more headroom for this type gig. As for guitars, I played my 52 AVRI Tele.

Second gig I played the new Les Paul Special thru the Princeton Reverb again.

Here’s a pic of the first gig rig...and yeah, I used an IPad lol...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I put the old Jam Band back together for a one night, fill-in for the now, regular Host
    Played my '78 LP Custom through my trusty '73 Musicman.

We got there two hours early, set up and we're ready to go and we still had a Hour to spare.
    That was a wonderful feeling for all of us.
    Starting out with out any stress like that leads to good vibes all the way around.

13. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played a session tonight. Guy has a home studio he built in his detached former garage. First time I’d been there though I’ve known the guy for years. Client was a another guy I’ve recorded stuff for before, a really nice guy and a good songwriter. Played on one tune, a soul/Motown “Groovin’” kinda thing, put down a lead track and a couple of rhythm tracks, got paid (well) and headed home. Wish I was a good enough player to be an A list session guy; this kinda gig is addictive...

Played my Strat through the Princeton Reverb.

teletimetx, dougstrum, skerwo and 2 others like this.
  14. brookdalebill

My regular Tuesday gig was lifted by my friend Beth joining us on sax, flute and fiddle.
    I played my Cabronita into my Cube.
    Life’s good!

teletimetx, dougstrum, Guran and 3 others like this.
  15. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played an Octoberfest themed gig with my country band at an retirement community last night. Real nice folks, great food (we were invited to partake), great weather for it, & pretty good pay. We had our friend Farrah with us. She’s one of the lead vocalists in another country band I play with, a great singer and usually a crowd pleaser. She was wonderful as always last night.

They’d asked us to work up some German themed tunes for the event. I don’t know a lot of German country songs lol, but we pulled off Fraulein and Edelweiss, and I worked up an instrumental medley kind of thing of Beer Barrel Polka/Under the Double Eagle, and it went over pretty well.

Played my Strat through the BF Deluxe.

Our regular lead singer snapped this pic at some point.

[​IMG]

16. brookdalebill

I played Mercer Street Dancehall with theJoel Hofmann and last night.
    The crowd was small, but dancer-heavy.
    We sounded our best, and the evening went off without a hitch.
    I played my B bender Cabronita into my Cube.
    We’ve played there three times now, and this was our best show.

17. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Pizza gig was a blast tonight, crowd was rowdy, noisey, appreciative, and we played well:D
    Good pizza, beer and tips as well:cool:

I think the cooler weather has revived folks~we play outside tomorrow; I'll have to wear some long johns.

teletimetx, Teddyjack and dannyh like this.
  18. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Played the old dance hall in Midlothian last night with my country band. Big crowd, lotta requests, good tips. Had some friends out that we got to visit with as well. It was a real good night. Played my AVRI 52 and AV64 though the Vibroverb RI.

[​IMG]

teletimetx, skerwo, dougstrum and 2 others like this.
  19. Teddyjack

Teddyjack Tele-Afflicted

It's nice to catch up with the shows. Very few live gigs these last five or six months as I've been helping out my parents - my Dad has dementia and lives in a care facility. Anyway, played a show with my friend Dan who was up from NYC. Broke out the resonator for a few songs. A really good crowd, some special guests and a nice sound. Just what I needed! 69563515_10221014019207012_631877083236139008_o.jpg

20. brookdalebill

Last evening the Sidewalk Srenaders played what may be our last gig of the season at Cherry Creek Catfish Company.
    Cooler/wetter weather threatens.
    This trio has become my “best” band.
    We sounded our best, and lots of our friends and family came out to hear us.
    I played my Firebird V all night, and it sounded great to me.
    I’ve got to get busy and get us some more bookings.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.