1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tale of a Thinline 69 AVRI

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jimi00, Aug 29, 2014.

1. jimi00

jimi00 TDPRI Member

Coming from a 1991 MIJ Squier Telecaster (sunburst finish, toploader) which had been modified with new baseplate, wiring and CS Nocaster PU's, a very low-medium-heavy but not dull instrument, my recent playing had been oriented towards stoner and heavy sounding bands and I had been looking for a different instrument. After a rather positive experience in a local store, I finally pulled the trigger on a 69 Thinline AVRI, at a fair price, not for the dark sounds I was aiming but for the great finish and sonic potential I found while trying it.

Upon receiving the guitar, I immediately noticed that it was too trebly to my taste and that the low medium lacked dynamics. Most of the tones I was looking for were difficult to obtain and I spent most of my time with the tone control under the 5 mark.

I have made quite a few modifications to bring this guitar to a more versatile and modern sounding instrument. Each of these modifications has had a definite influence on the sound:
    1. Brought string gauge up to 10-52 and drilled top-loading holes in the ashtray to alleviate string tension.
    2. Changed the 1 Meg (sic) pots with 250k and the tone cap with a proper 470uF. I didn't think Fender would be this accurate with their reissue, but the vintage values for pots and cap they provided is an obstacle to my form of modern playing. Also applied the Fezz Parka mod to the original modern style telecaster wiring scheme to allow better handling of the tone control.
    3. Switched the Fender Orginal Vintage PU's for the Nocasters from my other tele. On this point, let me say how much fuller and balanced are the Nocasters compared to the Vintages. They are also a bit hotter. I don't think these differences have been stressed enough on these forums.

I now have an guitar that, while being in a league of its own in comparaison to my old MIJ, gives me pleasure. Now that it bears the right hardware, when plugged the resonance and sustain are fantastic, and the definition is great. I might experiment a bit more to find exactly what I'm looking for.

Right now, the guitar sounds so bassy that I might go back from the Fezz Parka mod to the traditional wiring to get a more wah-tone effect on the tone, and then install a tone bleed cap on the volume pot to open up the sound when I roll back the volume. What is your opinion?
    While I find the bridge Nocaster PU to be irreplaceable, I might go back to the Vintage PU on the neck because the Nocaster neck PU sounds a bit dull. Even the intermediate position doesn't really have that distinctive funky sound. Would this make sense sound-wise? Will I lose the Nocasters' noise canceling if I do?

Attached Files:

2. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Nice Tele. Do the 69 AVRI Thinlines have the same necks as the 72 Custom AVRIs? I love the neck on my 72. Interesting that you made it a top loader.

I think that the bridge pickup in the Nocaster set is RWRP so if you install the OV neck you should still have noise canceling in the middle. Have you considered a 4 way switch for an extra flavor?

3. jimi00

jimi00 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply. I might consider a 4-way switch when I'll be perfectly done and satisfied with the pending mods.
    The fingerboard is certainly the same as the 72 Custom, but the 69's neck has a vintage style truss rod with a bridge-side access and a four-bolt neck plate (no micro-tilt).

4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Hi Jimi, congrats on the new Tele. That's a fair few mods you've done, but at least you have the sound you need now.

5. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

No they don't.. Not the American Vintage anyway.. think the classic series does. BTW I just picked up another Custom.. The FSR with Tort guard & Rosewood neck.. This one has the new AV pickups.. wow.. Nstuf had a couple and were/are blowing them out.

That makes #3.. I also picked up a Road Worn custom a few months back from ProAudioStar's B stock.. Really don't get why that guitar is not more popular..

6. gofish

gofish TDPRI Member

The neck on the AVRI 69 Thinlinehas has a gloss lacquer finish, modern C shape, vintage frets, 1.650 nut, and a 7.25 radius.

IMO, this is the best neck combination Fender has released. I wish they offered these exact specs online through their store, I would build another guitar with this same neck. No other American Vintage guitar, or anything i have been able to find, has this combo on the neck. On Fender's website, Fender doesn't offer this exact neck made in USA, but they do have a Mexican version. Hopefully they add this USA version neck to the design experience and online store + build more guitars with this neck combo!

7. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Around here most of us go for the chunky necks.. I've always had the feeling that we were a minority..

8. jimi00

jimi00 TDPRI Member

I beg to differ. It IS a good combination, but IMO, the perfect neck would carry medium jumbo frets. Different strokes...

9. jimi00

jimi00 TDPRI Member

I went ahead and returned from the Fezz Parka to the original Telecaster wiring, installed a 1 Meg pot on the tone and a treble bleed cap on the 250k volume, and went back to the Original Vintage as neck PU. I can now make the famous wah effects, which I like, with the tone control. I preferred the way the volume pot behaved with the Fezz Parka wiring but since I use the tone control a lot more, this is an acceptable drawback. Also, I must say that the intermediate position is much more usable and has re-gained quite a bit of "funkiness". The procedure brought back some clarity and quite a bit of definition on the neck position.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.