Taking your daughter to a concert

AlfaNovember

TDPRI Member
A tangent, but I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly recognize and thank my dad, who recruited one of his buddies to take me to my first Dead show. I understand now that he was trusting 15 year old me to be off-leash in the adult world. Thanks, dad.

I'm still anticipating being able to extend the same learning opportunity to my daughter. Right now she mostly asks for Harry Belafonte on the hi-fi, but he's retired from performing. It'll be something good when the time is right.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I took my daughter a music festival my brother was FOH for. She was maybe 7 years old. She LOVED Mother Mother and Bad Religion. A couple of years later I brought her to a Los Straightjackets show.

Teddyjack

Friend of Leo's
We took our four kids to see Michael Franti at an outdoor show in 2008. Tickets were free for kids 12 and under (which they all were at the time) so we only had to pay for two tickets.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
Around 1997, Foo Fighters, Brixton. My son would have been about 14 and the Foo Fighters were still doing small venues. We've also been to some Les Claypool shows over the years which I much preferred.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
I took mine gigs they wanted to see, I saw gigs I would never want to see, but thankfully saw bands such as Linkin park, Greenday, evanescence and alot of the millennium punk, but also discovered Biffy Clyro, 100 reasons the fledgling Kings if Leon and a whole host I would not have seen.
It worked out well

Last edited:

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
The uncle that took me to see Metallica and guns and roses for my first concert just died.

I guess that’s the flip side of this thread.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
The uncle that took me to see Metallica and guns and roses for my first concert just died.

I guess that’s the flip side of this thread.
Condolences. It’s great that you got to share those experiences with him and have those memories.
Memories such as mine with my daughter and yours with your uncle are important.

The daughter in my OP is now the mother of two daughters and she’s starting to create her own memories with them. I’m pretty sure a concert for them is on the horizon.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I took my daughter to see the Imelda May band ( they were superb ). She dressed up as a fifties chick and loved every second. It was her 12th birthday present.

Eldest son and I have been to many gigs together. I took him to his first rock gig. Marilyn Manson. Not a bad start. we've seen, among others, Iron Maiden, Wilko, The Blockheads, Gary Numan and the Michael Schenker Group.

Middle son accompanied us to a few too. His first gig with dad was The Blockheads. We're a Blockhead type of family :)

Youngest isn't that bothered. Hmmm.....

Eldest always came to my gigs. If you can focus on a friendly face, and play your best to that person, you play well and stage nerves go out of the window. He's not that into thrash:surf:punk, but he was there. which is nice.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
I've taken my daughters to see the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Neil Diamond, Lorde, X, The Psychedelic Furs, The Smithereens and America. I took my older daughter to see Billy Idol with my wife, and I went with her sans wife to see John Fogerty and, most recently, Gary Numan.

Below is the Fogerty show. There are a few times when the camera swoops down on a crane that you can spot my bald head next to my blonde daughter.

Last edited:

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I took my son to see Slipnot and Korn Concerts when he was in his mid teens. At the time, and probably still are, his two favorite bands.

Slip Kid

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Back in 2016 I took my 9 year old son to see The Smithereens and Romantics. They played in my hometown’s “town park” as part of a free summer concert series my hometown used to sponsor in pre-pandemic times. I dragged him down to front (with earplugs) for The Smithereens and he hung with me for a bit before heading back to sit with mom. The band did a meet and greet after their set. We took a photo with them and they signed my son’s Smithereens shirt which he wore a lot before outgrowing it.

I’m bummed that the town hasn’t been able to carry on with the free concert series. I don’t consider it a wealthy town but they managed to pull off a few surprises now and then (Los Lobos for one, they were awesome!).

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
Back in 2016 I took my 9 year old son to see The Smithereens and Romantics. They played in my hometown’s “town park” as part of a free summer concert series my hometown used to sponsor in pre-pandemic times. I dragged him down to front (with earplugs) for The Smithereens and he hung with me for a bit before heading back to sit with mom. The band did a meet and greet after their set. We took a photo with them and they signed my son’s Smithereens shirt which he wore a lot before outgrowing it.

I’m bummed that the town hasn’t been able to carry on with the free concert series. I don’t consider it a wealthy town but they managed to pull off a few surprises now and then (Los Lobos for one, they were awesome!).

I saw The Smithereens, X, The Psyschedelic Furs and America as part of the free concert series at Pershing Square in Downtown L.A. The Smithereens show was the most enjoyable, followed by the America show. The X show was the worst, sadly, because of the crowd. I've learned that old punks tend to be a sketchy, maladjusted lot, and when you combine that with "free," you're asking for trouble. No, you don't have the right to smoke out directly in front of my kids in a place that doesn't allow smoking of any kind and, yes, I will ask you to stop and, if you don't, I will then summon security, you selfish #%*&.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
I would take my daughter to a quality act like Brad Paisley, but I certainly would not take her to see Kid Rock for a multitude of reason. No talent would be the first, personality failing would be the 2nd. Otherwise, you folks have done a lovely job of exposing your daughters to quality music.

Jackroadkill

Tele-Holic
Our kids have always gone to gigs, right from when they were tiny. Obviously, that was mostly local stuff. The first proper gig our eldest went to was New Model Army for her 14th birthday. She's a tiny little thing, built like a twiglet, but she spent the whole gig in the pit, pushing and shoving with the best of them. I was very proud! She got given a set list at the end, too.

cowboyfan1969

TDPRI Member
We’ve taken our daughter to Hanna Montana, Fifth Harmony, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Pink and the Rolling Stones, in that order, I think….

She was supposed to go see the Black Crowes with us last week, but she moved out 2 weeks ago at 17….. Wife and I still drove 7 1/2 hours to the concert. Was a good show, but couldn’t enjoy it fully. 😢