Taking the shine off a Firefly 338: Advice?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Jack Clayton, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

I've posted questions on this recently. This is an update.

I recently picked up this firefly off Amazon. You've heard right. It's as good of a $140 guitar as you'll ever buy.

Im in the process of removing the plastic-looking poly shine. All I've done so far is to put in an hours work with some scotchbrite. It produced the desired effect. Unfortunately, it left some light scratching. Not a big deal, but I'd rather go ahead and get those scratches out while I'm at it.

So what do you guys recommend next? Some 2000 grit paper? Turtle wax? Some other rubbing compound? Also, I'd love to get some light yellow tint in there to simulate a little age. Any advice?

2. Jack Clayton

Forgot the photos.

Attached Files:

3. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

maybe more Scotchbrite. they make different grits. red is coarse, then grey, then white. might try that and then paste wax

1000 sandpaper will be more aggressive at removing the topcoat to get the worn look, 2000 won't quite get the shine back but rubbing compound will

4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

DO NOT USE WAXES, EVER! Those and silicones are just contaminants that cause problems for other products.

Look up Micro-mesh pads. Every finisher I know has multiple sets of small and medium size pads, which range from 1,200 or so to 12,000. The are washable, reusable and last for YEARS. I use them on all finish repairs and for "gloss killing"

preactor and bender66 like this.
  5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Should have started with rubbing compound, not scotchbrite. But now that that's that, yes work up to a really fine paper or 0000 wool, removing the deeper scratches left by the scotch brite. Be careful not to over do it around edges and areas where you are tempted to increase speed - you don't want to penetrate the finish or color coat. Work slowly, use moisture to help with seeing the larger scratches you need to remove.

Next, use Dupont red Rubbing Compound. Add moisture to it if it starts to dry and cake. It will leave a very handsome hand rubbed appearance.

For poly finishes, you can use waxes safely. Cleaner waxes are good at continuing the polishing process after rubbing compound. But apply as lightly as possible, so it doesn't cake and chalk up later in the cracks and crevises. If it does, you can remove it with some diluted alcohol or spirits.

6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm on my phone so it's difficult to get a proper look, but it looks like you still have some coarse scratches. Follow the steps mentioned above.

I did that on a Rondo tele & it came out great.

7. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just got my FFTH S yesterday and I haven’t put it down yet. It’s a great 140.00 guitar. I’m going to be all taboo and replace the bridge and pickups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Jack Clayton

Taboo? You're kidding, right? You'd be out of your mind not to replace at least the bridge and the tuners. And I don't love the pickups either. I'm actually gonna end up replacing everything that isn't wood.

9. Jack Clayton

A little time wet sanding it with a little 2000 grit, and it's already looking great. Thanks for the solid advice, everybody. Will post a final shot when its all put together and ready to go.

Attached Files:

10. jimilee

I am too. I bought it with the intent to mod it. I say taboo because a group of people say it’s a waste to put more money into an inexpensive guitar, but I beg to differ. I also plan on replacing everything that isn’t wood.

11. Jack Clayton

Well, it's certainly a waste if you plan to flip the guitar. I've modded all my guitars, and I always lose money when I sell them. That's the cost you've gotta weigh when you do this stuff. But the way I see it, I can pay $1500 minimum for a Gibson Midtown or an Eastman (money I absolutely don't have) or I can turn this firefly into something almost as good for what will end up being a third of the price. If I were more patient, I'd wait till I could afford something better but, let's face it... I'm not patient.

jimilee likes this.
  12. jimilee

I mod most all of mine too. Typically I don’t sell the ones I mod, they almost become personal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.