Taking the leap to non tube

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by golfnut, Aug 5, 2021.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Well I've been agonizing over what second amp in order for me to leave my heavy 67 Pro Reverb at home with the exception of the occasional outdoor gig (maybe couple times a year) So I wanted something light and easy for practices and club gigs.
    I didn't want to spend too much so my tube considerations were a Blues jr IV, Custom pro reverb (although not exactly feather light) I was also looking at a used Peavey classic 30 that was available locally. The compromise for me was that these amps would likely not sound as good as my 67 pro reverb, still have tubes and maintenance to worry about and I'm not as fond of a 1X12 cabinet as I am of 2X12.
    So I had my local Long and Mcquade put aside a Tone master Twin Blonde aside for me till I get there on the weekend.
    As far as I can see my pro's are 2X12 speakers, light and no tubes to worry about. As well from almost every source I've researched the tone masters are very close to a tube sound. The cons are Many have said it doesn't respond to touch like tube amps. I realize there will be some things that won't measure up to my pro reverb but if I buy a 1x12 tube amp like the blues jr, I imagine there will be things there that won't measure up.
    I have 30 days to evaluate and return if thats my prerogative. The last SS amp I ever had and gigged with was a Fender Pro Roc 1,000 that I had back in the late 80's and gigged for a short while. I remember not really liking that at all but I tolerated it for a while. I'm hoping these Tone Masters are far above that.

2. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Good luck!

3. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Tubes are a pain and they are far from essential.

Tele_Luvr, Tim S, 19sixty3 and 2 others like this.
  4. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Good luck. If that one doesn’t work out for you, I’d recommend giving Quilter a try before giving up and going back to tube.

Who knows, maybe you’ll just want a tube amp again. But Quilter did it for me, and I had been a tube snob for decades. Not anymore.

pugnax, brown2bob, jays0n and 3 others like this.
  5. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Yes I've been reading about Quilter lately and have been curious. I'm sure if the tone master gets me 90% of the way there then I'll be content for my uses. However I still may try a quilter at some point for an additional option.

6. michaelsegui

michaelsegui TDPRI Member

I am an out and out snob... but after A/B'ing against vintage and new versions in the store I ended up getting a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. I only play at home. Zero regrets. Good luck.

7. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

One of my biggest curiosities is how my Kingsley page will sound with it. I use it in front of my amps to give that edge of breakup sound when I can't get my tube amp opened enough. If it works out well I may give one of the Kingsley preamps a try.

8. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire

Quilter;).

9. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted

I recently pulled a 70s Kustom 1 Lead combo out of mothballs and plugged her in. Gotta say, what with its real spring reverb and true gain knob, it sounded pretty darned good. And loud. Especially clean.

10. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You're cool kid card has now been revoked.

Greg70 likes this.
  11. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You should give the Roland JC-40 a look as well. You can dial in the tone stack to work with whatever dirt pedal you have.

12. corbo

corbo Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Still loving my Blues Cube Artist 212

DaphneBlue, Nahtabot, PhredE and 2 others like this.
  13. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Is that 2X10 or 2X12? I'm not fond of 10" speakers.

14. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

Everything I own is tubes except for a couple of older Cube 30's. I'm just continually drawn back to those for anything clean, jazz in particular, even though their treble can have a little too much sizzle for that genre. Nothing sounds nicer played quiet for some reason.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    DaphneBlue and jays0n like this.
  15. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

I sold my larger Tube amp quite a while ago and use a Quilter head with a 1x12 cab and it is awesome. I do still have a small Champ tube amp for kicks.

I think vid does the best job of showing how close the Quilter comes to a tube amp sound:

DaphneBlue and PhredE like this.
  16. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

Wanted (want) one of these but they are a bit pricy. Sound great though.

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I am a convert to the incredibly versatile Roland Cube 80 series.
    I became an unwavering convert 12 busy years ago.
    I used nothing but tube amps prior to this, beginning in 1973.
    I still like tube amps.
    I just no longer own, move or repair them.
    The Cubes do all my tricks, and never falter.
    I have 4.
    You might audition one, or the similarly great sounding, comparatively lightweight Blues Cube, Katana, or Nextone series.
    I’ll get another tube amp some day
    I want one for home use.
    I’ve almost forgotten what a tube amp behaves like.

39martind18, DaphneBlue and PhredE like this.
  18. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

A good compressor pedal can liven up a dry solid state amp. A gig worthy solid state amp can be touch sensitive but they have volume spikes since there is no compression. With a compressor, you can get really good feel and a smooth sound out of something that is much lighter in weight.

19. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i'll be interested to hear how well you like the TM. I've been toying with getting one myself, the deluxe reverb is what i'm considering. from a tone perspective, i have no problem with solid state amps, modeling amps, whatever you want to call them, but from a controls and aesthetics perspective, i dislike many of them. the TM is interesting because it retains the same control face as the tube amp its modeled after. give me 1 good voice, rich in tone, with reverb and trem, in a super light package. that's what i find attractive about them.. not to mention the super quiet noise floor.

Ronzo and 39martind18 like this.
  20. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Yes I'm excited to see how this amp responds with my pedals. The pedals on my board that are always on are a Cali76 CD and a Kingsley page set for slight break up when I dig in.

DeepDangler likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.