1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Takes pedals well" - what amps don't?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Minivan Megafun, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've got an AC30 and I've had to learn to love the natural O.D. It just hates pedals.

JIMMY JAZZMAN likes this.
  2. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

Really? I find my AC15 takes boost and OD pedals like a champ. I just can't go gonzo on the gain when in top boost mode.

3. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

Is that jazz chorus then yes! Unless maybe a tube overdrive?

4. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

I have played on tube amps and solid state amps that don't take pedals very well. A good solid state amp that does take pedals well is the Roland Jazzchorus and a tube amp that does take pedals very well is the Bogner alchemist.

5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

The weird thing about this is I think there's a somewhat correspondence between "doesn't take pedals well" and "sounds better breaking up without pedals than a pedal platform amp with pedals."

Most of these tube amps you can use without pedals and get your dirty sounds at workable volume have amazing touch sensitive dynamics, really responsive EQs, etc..

So you're sitting there trying pedals and you want to blame the amp but really what you're complaining about is "all the pedals sound worse than the amp!"

We somehow got into this weird space where we all recognize distorting tubes produce more pleasing breakup tones but then we're trying to use solid state preamps (drive pedals) to get that instead.

It's more work to figure out how to make it work with pedals.

6. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Holic

I am from the school that certain guitars (ie pickups, configuration) don't take certain pedals well. You're trying to make the guitar sound a certain way. The amp and the pedal will sound 100 times different, with 100 different
    guitars. Marry a guitar, to a certain pedal format and a certain amp? The possibilities are endless. My Soul Food,
    does very useful on all my amps and guitars and that's about it. Good playing to all.

7. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

my two 5e3 builds only sound good alone. i've tried various pedals and always go back to straight in. my vox ac15c1 doesn't take pedals well either but it has tremolo and reverb so that makes up for it. my silverpanel champ and vibro champ get a stereo pedalboard that sounds great. the 66 deluxe reverb loves pedals. the 59 princeton gets a 65 fender reverb unit that sounds great, altho rather noisy. so, it just depends.

p.s. i see that jimmy jazzman talks about how the guitar is reflected in this situation and that is certainly true.

play music!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.