1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Takes pedals well" - what amps don't?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Minivan Megafun, Oct 29, 2020.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

The funny thing is I build pedals, and I only really have (or had) everything (SF/BF) below or above the PR, but not the PR itself. Despite what others may have found, I didn't care for the DR with a great many pedals. OTOH, most (or many) pedals sound great with my VR, my SR, and my AB165 Bassman. I love a lot of pedals with a TR, but it's just not a practical amp for much of anything any longer.

Anyway, I've been resisting getting a PR for at least 5 years now. I think the biggest thing holding me back is that I prefer to have at least a pair of 10s, and haven't historically been happy with any 1X10 combo that I've ever had (although none of them were much like a PR).

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Crate something-10 practice amp out in the garage that breaks up really quickly and putting much of any pedal in front of it will cause problems. So any amp with a similar characteristic whether solid state or tubes would be a poor candidate for a pedal board. You need an easy to get and strong clean channel.

I have a Crate 65w that does fine with pedals, but it's a lot like a clone of a Peavey Bandit which I also have a couple.

Some modeling amps have a problem with pedals ... Fender Mustang I or Line6 can be spotty. Especially if there is noise reduction circuitry involved, some amps you can turn that off, others you cannot. Some of these modeling amps have a really poor clean option even when trying to program a custom setting on them -- I suspect that is because 'they are trying to model clean' rather than start with clean.

... The gold standard benchmarks for 'taking pedals well' are the Peavey Bandits.

3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

yeah, the PR I have is a late Silverface, cut down into a head, resurrected and blackfaced by the powers of the great Zook himself, in a repro cabinet with an eminence 12. Love the low end on this thing. Never really loved a PR before -- had an early 70s Silverface for a while -- but this thing rocks. And every pedal ever made works with this thing.

4. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I agree with this. I think all my amps can "take pedals well" but it depends on which specific pedals. My stock Blues Driver works well with my Bandit and ZT Lunchbox (and, in the past, worked well with my BJr that I eventually sold), but sounds like awful thin fizz through my PRRI. By contrast, my TS9 works well with the PRRI but not so much the other two. I recently got a Formula 55, which seems to work with all 3 but I'm still messing around with it.

5. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

The "doesn't take pedals well" amp is not an experience I've had, but I'm not going to say nobody else has had it. I've had an amp designed to be used with pedal (Mesa Blue Angel), an amp many people recommend for use with pedals (silverface Fender, in my case a DR), Tube amps with less old school designs (Egnater Tweaker and Rebel 20), and solid state amps. They all took pedals about as well as each other, for me at least. So for me, it's not really a concern.

radiocaster likes this.
  6. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Holic

What amps don’t? Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 Anniversary head, for one.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  7. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

For my Vox, the Top Boost channel really doesn't like high gain pedals, and really doesn't take well to fuzz if I've got any kind of amp breakup going on.

But on my AC15's normal channel, higher gain and fuzz sounds ok

8. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

The JC-120 doesn't sound sterile, it sounds like jazz.
    ;)

Anacharsis and Coloradotwanger like this.
  9. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

My TR sounds pretty poopy with quite a few of my pedals. It makes alot of drive pedals sound really cheap and buzzy, these are pedals that sound great through other amps.

10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Buddy of mine had that pricey chieftain.
    He said dont even try pedals with it..

11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

That's what I was going to say.

naveed211 likes this.
  12. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

I totally agree on the Vox amps. I've been having a hard time finding a happy medium with drive pedals on mine. Sounds great without pedals though which is how I play it 95% of the time luckily.

13. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Better stated, certain amps do not take certain pedals well. For example, IMO, Fenders with the bright cap/bright switch on+fuzzes=poo.

14. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I hate that way BF Deluxe Reverbs take pedals, with a few exceptions.

15. AndreDanican

AndreDanican Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Generally, yes, the 5E3 doesn’t care for pedals. The one exception is a treble booster!

16. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I own both of these amps.I completely agree with you!

17. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

as long as one remembers the reverse threading . . .

gerhard_k likes this.
  18. miserable

miserable NEW MEMBER!

The old BF Deluxe Reverb can be very picky. Have you found some good combos with it?

19. waynereed

waynereed TDPRI Member

My pedal board has 28 pedals. I use a pedal looper. They run through either my Vox AC30CC2, or either one of my AC15C1 amps, and sound great.

20. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I came from a time when od pedals were rare. I used a BF Bassman with an attenuator and hit the front with a boosted Dyna-comp. That eventually chewed the amp up, but it sure sounded good until then.
    Since then, like most, I have been scaling back the wattage, now at 15, usually, and am disappointed that most of them don't have FX loops. Any time based effect seems to work better and be less noisy that way.
    My $0.02 worth? Amps with a level EQ and good headroom take pedals better, especially overdrives, and an FX loop is your best friend for reverb, echo, chorus, etc. Ymmv.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.