Take Your Tele To A Holiday!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sotakoira Musti, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

Well, if I’d run out of firewood, then the pine body would do the trick for a couple of hours :lol:

Bruxist likes this.
  2. Sotakoira Musti

Just had some nice nature related experiences. First, there was two reindeers just standing in the front door of an nearby apartment. Why they were there, I can’t tell. These creatures are everywhere.

E2D8C94C-69EA-4242-A8B2-72F11C7928C5.jpeg

They’d let us up to a three meters, when this huge male started to stomp his front legs to the floor. Then me and my kids backed up a bit. He and obviously his girlfriend went to eat some grass and they didn’t mind us at all.

Later on we went out to the forest to grill some sausages in a nearby fireplace. We were there for about 5 minutes, when Siberian jays (Kuukkeli in Finnish) came to the site. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_jay

They are commonly known up here as a mans best friend on a campfire. They come to search for food and are very bold and curious. They were brave enough to take food right from the hand. The children were so excited.

It’s great to take kids from the capital city to the forest and to see the other side of life. I’ve spent more than a decade in the forests, so I love it. Too bad my knees doesn’t allow me to hike anymore. Well, gonna go back to the cabin and then some playing. Tomorrow a daytrip to Norway.

perttime likes this.
  3. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

I never take guitars with me on holiday, and I try not to think of playing at all while I'm away. It doesn't always work though, more than once I've spent so much time browsing guitar pages while I'm away that I've bought guitars online to have waiting for me when I get home!

I do find the break from playing helps though, seems to help get me out of a rut (which I'm always in) for a short while.

4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I am in Costa Rica now, and I took my tele (removed the neck and put it all in my luggage). Been playing a couple hours a day.
    Someday I will get a "travel guitar" but it's nice to just have it. Anytime I'm going somewhere more than a week I tend to do this, there is always 30 minutes or an hour in the day where I can play guitar instead of wasting time (for example reading TDPRI!)

Sotakoira Musti likes this.
  5. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

When I go to my in-laws cabin for a holiday (usually a week or long-weekend) I’ll take my Telecaster. I’ve never taken a guitar on a flight.

This was from a birthday long weekend in January 2017

584129C6-A982-4033-A60F-7E5DD7F745FF.jpeg

6. kris ford

kris ford TDPRI Member

Nice!

I had a '74 Tele Thinline and 72 Bassman 10 that logged a few thousand miles on a CVN with me. Stored in a fanroom!

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  7. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

I'm in the south of the country where there are also a few mosquitos and it is very warm too! I brought my Strat cos it's best as it is naturally reliced and the neck has steel inserts for easy take apart when flying.
    This is Munkkiniemi beach, I also sent my bike over and I'm having some great rides. Today I'm going to an area called Talosaari. It's near Helsinki. Not sure what I'll find there but it's fairly uninhabited I think.
    Hyvää lomaa!
    [​IMG]
    Strat in action
    Untitled-1.jpg

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@60.2411779,25.1848591,13.5z

DonM and Sotakoira Musti like this.
  8. Sotakoira Musti

@rogb Hauskaa lomaa ja pidä yläketju kireällä! Me Sevettijärven baarissa kahvitauolla ja kohta Kirkkoniemeen.
    ————-
    Translation: Have a nice holiday and keep your bicycle’s chain tight! We’re at Sevettijärvi bar having coffee ja will continue shortly to Kirkenes.

D14219A7-351F-443B-AB14-6694D426B9DD.jpeg

Edit:

Got even higher postal code in Nuorgam village, which is the northernmost location in the EU.

BB0B3550-91F6-48D4-ABE1-45374CF3A13B.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    awasson and rogb like this.
  9. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

Kiitos paljon! You too. I've been up that way many years ago, it's just amazing to be in Lapland.
    Here's my bike at Pitkakoski:
    [​IMG]

10. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Mind the sheep in Norway!

It is many moons since I went to Hammerfest, but I recall lots of sheep on the road after crossing to Norway.

rogb likes this.
  11. adamstrings

adamstrings TDPRI Member

I always take my cheapest(price-wise) guitar with me on vacation-a 2017 Baja 60's Sonic Blue. My wife and I went to Montreal 2weeks ago. I used to get frustrated waiting while she'd get ready to go out. Instead, now I just take out the Tele and play until she says "ready." So glad I figured that one out!

awasson, Sotakoira Musti and rogb like this.
  12. flatcat90

flatcat90 TDPRI Member

I just got back home from 13 months in Afghanistan (not military). My Tele made it there and back in the hold of a commercial aircraft in the Fender ATA case. I'm glad to have it with me.

13. Quacky

Quacky Tele-Meister

Well if it gets cold you can always have some Telecaster firewood you can burn just kiddin I would burn all my clothes first before my Tele.

14. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

My tele needs vacation from me..

elihu and Random1643 like this.
  15. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

Whether work or holiday* travel I mostly take a beater travel guitar - a Schecter, or my 5-string banjo, or a little Portuguese cavaquinho. All are setup to plug & play. I play on my own, mix it up with others, and always look for open mics, songwriter circles & such.

*I've been retired since the beginning of 2019. It's a little confusing. My wife, who is still working a full-time job, and I recently traveled to Wisconsin for about a week to see friends, bike, hike - I took a Breedlove ac-el dread along cause we had a car. Anyway, on day 3 or so she says, "Isn't it great being on vacation?" I'm like, "Vacation from what?" Retirement is definitely a different gig.

16. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

From where you are most days, and what you usually do?

17. Sotakoira Musti

A couple of shots from Norway. The Arctic Ocean, seen from Kirkenes.

EE174257-7FDA-4CC7-B319-34366FE420A7.jpeg

A hammer and a sickle, to celebrate the liberation of Kirkenes on October 1944

69BB29E3-7114-4051-9A80-299D19B93A08.jpeg

The borderline over Teno river (the most popular river in Northern Europe to catch salmon). Took the photo while being half in Norway and half in Finland.
    5930E47D-2908-4F2A-A556-87C5F549F6D5.jpeg

It’s great that one can come and go as much as one likes between Nordic countries. The policy dates back to the fifties, way before Schengen agreement. You don’t have to have a passport, or any kind of identification with you when crossing borders. Just walk or drive to the other side.

Gonna fly today back to Helsinki, take a break for 48 hrs and then for 1,5 weeks going back and forth Portugal. I think Baja would be nice travel companion (okay, maybe mrs. Musti is nice too :D).

rogb and perttime like this.
  18. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Are you liking Aquavit? Cheers

19. Sotakoira Musti

I don’t fancy that stuff, but if there’s nothing else to drink, it’ll do. It’s a thing for the Danes, Swedes and Norwegians. The whole idea of aquavit is kinda funny. The best brands comes with word ”linie”. It means you put that booze to a barrel, take it to the ship, cross the equator to the southern hemisphere and the bring it back. Thus it should taste better, or at least be more expensive and therefore more media sexy.

My favourite stiff drink is whisky (Islay and Bourbon), but Finnish vodkas are quite nice too. Not to mention Napue Gin, which is marvellous stuff when being part of Napue GT.

20. Sotakoira Musti

I had to make a hard decision: whether to take a large bag and go travelling equipped enough for a 30 year war or a just a small flightbag and a guitar case. After consulting with my wife, I opted for a guitar case. I think I’ll manage 1,5 weeks with couple of tees, spare shorts and underpants, a couple of books and a Tele.

You can always buy a pair of socks or a shirt on your way but not guitars. Or wait, why couldn’t I? Me thinks it’s time to google some music stores in Lisbon and Porto. Ditch my old lady to a portwine excursion and then go nuts. Any suggestions?

rogb likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.