Take Up A Second Musical Instrument!

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Stringbanger, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

My mother’s original degree was in music (voice, piano), then education. As a child, we always had a piano in the house. While my mother always encouraged us to pursue our musical interests, she did not believe in forcing us to learn.

For the love of god, mom, why did you not strap my skinny butt to that piano bench?!? (I kid, she was probably right, but I would be way farther ahead if she had convinced me to learn from her at the piano.)

2. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

We always had a piano in the living room but none of us could play it. We couldn't afford a piano teacher. They are very expensive here in Oz.
    One talented aunt, still alive in her 90s, taught herself to play.

Stringbanger likes this.
  3. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just bought a bass; does that count?

Stringbanger likes this.
  4. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

No, the OP said musical instrument.

5. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That’s why I didn’t mention my drums!

Dan German and Stringbanger like this.
  6. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Learning additional instruments keeps me working, and keeps me fresh!

Guitar players over 50 don't get the opportunities we did at 25 - 30.... but nobody cares how old the Pedal Steel player is :D. Top that up with a 5 string banjo and a dobro.... I play everything nobody else wants to :lol:

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Yeah, man. I dabble, have dabbled, will dabble on bass, drums, mando, and lap steel. I would like to have the time to get decent on the drums, I find them to be a ton of fun and they tickle a different itch than the stringed family. I love playing bass in a band but I don't love the practicing of it. Someday I'll get some keys, more for experimenting and messing around than any good reason. But I'm not exactly trying to conquer the world on guitar either....

Stringbanger likes this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Piano and bass help me.

Piano unlocks theory quickly... chords and scales, melody and bass. Gives you command of synths.

Bass is about the spectrum and structure of the whole sound and the rhythm/groove. Help you appreciate the other band roles. I dep and get paid for bass so it funds guitar gear too.

Great consequence is I can do all the parts for a basic recording or custom backing track myself.

I am renowned for being crap at percussion though.

Stringbanger and telestratosonic like this.
  9. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted

I believe learning to play Mandolin has helped my guitar playing, particularly picking technique and learning to recognize chords with different voicing and timbre. For some reason I find it easier to include chords in lead licks and playing the melody on Mandolin.

Stringbanger likes this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I play guitar, bass, pedal steel, and mandolin.
    I’m a master of none, but I’ve recorded 30ish albums (for others) playing these instruments (and singing).
    I haven’t explored piano and drums.
    I’m planning to.

codamedia, Stringbanger and Viejo like this.
  11. trahx

trahx Tele-Meister

I learned electric guitar first, then acoustic and bass. I'm now working on mastering the Irish bouzouki!

Stringbanger likes this.
  12. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I got a lap steel about 20 years ago and never got very good at it, but it helped me understand chords and harmony a little more and now I’m a little better at visualizing the fretboard.

Got a bass about 10 years ago and now play that more than the guitar. Not sure how much that’s helped the guitar apart from inspiring me to play less busy...but I sure have fun playing bass.

Stringbanger likes this.
  13. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Besides guitar, I’ve played trombone, trumpet, piano, mandolin, bouzouki, recorder, Irish flute, diatonic button accordion (G/C, B/C, and C#/D), English concertina, and bass guitar. Guitar is all I play now, but I’ve definitely benefited from having all those different perspectives. I’ve come to think of instruments as different platforms running the same (or similar) software.

Stringbanger likes this.
  14. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Piano - key to the musical universe.

Stringbanger likes this.
  15. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Meister

Over the years, I've played violin, saxophone, clarinet, bassoon, piano, banjo and guitar. Guitar has had the most staying power. Having said that, I have all the instruments except a violin and bassoon, so the only thing stopping me is lazy. And a violin/fiddle isn't that expensive, so I really should get one...I cannot think of a good reason to pursue bassoon, I wasn't very good on it anyway (no offense to the thousands of accomplished bassoon players ((DanG)) in Tele-land).

Stringbanger likes this.
  16. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

Guitar is my second, and I couldn’t agree more. Playing guitar, bass and drums radically changed my piano playing.

Stringbanger likes this.
  17. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Guitar is my third. Piano and Viola (that's the one between violin and cello) as a kid. Guitar lessons were prohibitively expensive when I was a kid and the public school had a music program with stringed instruments... And that Internet Youtube thing hadn't been invented yet, for many years in the far future when we'd get flying cars and things.

stormsedge and Stringbanger like this.
  18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Guitar was actually my third instrument. I started on tuba in 4th grade and just picked up the trombone my brother brought gone when he was in 4th and started playing it. My picking it up and playing after reading a few pages of the lesson book while my brother was struggling was enough that he quit. So trombone was entirely self taught. I continued that proud self taught tradition when my parents bought me a Harmony “f” hole guitar. My self teaching was good enough that I played trombone in orchestra when there wasn’t a tuba part. In college the leader of a jazz combo heard that I played guitar and asked me if I could play bass. A week in a practice room with one of the college’s basses and I was good to go. Next came electric bass. I bought a used Hagstrom for $60 and started backing a country singer one town over. Sadly it’s just me and my guitars these days but knowing one instrument always helped when trying to learn the others. Not bad for tuba lessons and not much else.

Stringbanger likes this.
  19. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

I dabble on bass for recordings. I can play drums alright but can’t coordinate incorporating the kick, my brain can’t process it unless it’s just matching up with one of my snare hits.

I program drums for my projects though, that’s kind of an instrument!

Stringbanger likes this.
  20. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

I agree, Viejo, I took up the mandolin when I was recovering from heart surgery, because it hurt too much to stretch my arms around the guitar until I was healed up. Anyway, I only know a few chords on the mandolin, that's about all you need for Bluegrass when playing the rhythm chops. Otherwise, I'm just playing scales, I love to just tinkle along on the mandolin in the background.

Also, I found it very easy to learn, having played guitar for so long. The scales are easy to find and play.

telestratosonic and Stringbanger like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.