Take this job and shove it!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Grr... I'm still so pissed at my job. I have been incredibly tempted for the past several weeks to say to the bosses "Screw you morons! I quit!"

Alas, apparently there might be negative consequences to taking such actions, as my wife is quick to remind me. Whats up with that?!? :rolleyes:

So back to work I go, until I can find something better to come along. But dang...

Anyone here ever just say the hell with this crap, I'm quitting right now, before having the next job lined up? Any regrets or did it feel good and was totally worth it?

BTW, I never did like that Johnny Paycheck song lol... Have a great day ya'll...

2. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted

I've been looking for a job after getting laid off last year... I don't recommend quitting before having something else lined up. Could be a long wait!

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I retired last March, due to 2 main situations, the first was that during our collective agreements negotiations our local informed us at the end of december 2014 that our life time benifits would be reduced from 75% to 50% if we retired after April 1, 2015, we needed to give 90 days notice to retire the ratification came at the end of Jan 2016 so there was not enough notice to get the 90 days in,

This was major because My wife has been very ill and has not worked in almost 3 years
    ( she finally had her spinal surgery in Dec 2016 ) after a painful debilitating 3 year period of next to no mobility the meds alone cost me over 2400.00 a month.

I stayed until March 30 2015 which was my 25th year with this company ( I was going to get my 25 year watch!!!, I earned it), and still was able to get my 90 day notice in.( gave my letter of intent on December 22 2014)

I always maintained that My job NEVER owned me, even after 40 years in the industry and 25 with this company as a supervisor,
    I always maintained my independence and would not allow the job to dismantle who I was. the people I worked with were all terrified to make any personal change in their life, afraid to step out , I say this with caution, but at the same time a little planning and it can all come together.

only a select few get to do jobs they love, but what looks good on the outside is not how it really is.
    Its usually the decision makers that P-ss us off partially because we feel we have no control, we don't understand the change or we don't want to get with the program, or we got busted doing things we shouldn't do.

No matter where you are there will always be the inter office frustrations.

4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ah, I am there very often!

As much as I am tempted, I've never done it. There is always some bill to pay, and I am not a big risk taker, and a family... - you know the drill.

But [deity of your choice] have I been tempted.

I used to consult. I spent 3 to 12 months in all kinds of places for about 7 years. Know what I learned? Every company is a screwed up mess, it's just a matter of to what degree. A manager who does not support or protect you can make small stuff unbearable, and a manager who does support and protect you can make big stuff bearable. I have the latter right now, so our team tends to ping each other to blow off steam - which allows us to get through the day. We often get the speech "Well, this is stupid, makes no sense, and is a waste of time, but that Mexican guy 'Senior Management' wants it, and we were turned down when we pushed back, so just get this done and it will go away. I set up a draft so all of you can just fill in a few details." When your manager tells you that, it's a bit easier to eat the poo you are being served.

Yeah, we all know this, nothing new. I just wish I had a bit more "guts" and did not worry (have to worry?) about that paycheck so much.

5. DucksEliminated

DucksEliminated Tele-Meister

I've been in that situation before. Worked for two years in that position. Told my wife "one more bad day, and I'm walking out. I'm done!" The job was decent but the owner was a mega jerk.

I got lucky, two months after that the owners sold the business and the new owners are the best people I've ever worked for. Hands down.

Sorry I know that doesent help you any. But I can at least relate to your frustration. I would line another job up before quiting. When you don't work, the bills keep coming regardless.

Best of luck to you!

6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Yes, I've done it several times. But always as a single man - never with wife or children depending on me.

I was a front desk clerk at a hotel in college. One time I was balancing my cash drawer for the next shift to come on, and there were people from other departments walking around behind the desk... people I didn't know... and I had cash out, laying on the counter.

The general manager of operations came by and asked me why the musack was not on in the lobby. I told him that I wasn't sure, but that I'd check on it as soon as I finished counting my money. (The musack set up was in a closet down the hall.)

Five minutes later he came back by and asked about the musack again. I asked him to stand and watch the money, and I'd go check on it. He said he was carrying some documents to the accounting office and couldn't do it. I said, "Great, you'll walk right by the musack closet. Can you check it for me?"

He didn't like that. He told me to either go check it immediately, or leave.

I accepted his offer, collected my things, clocked out, and walked out.

As he realized what was happening, he said, "Hey you can't quit like that. You can't leave money laying around."

I said, "That's what I've been trying to tell you for 10 minutes."

I walked out of my next job too, which was also at a motel (they hired me as a sales director, but the previous sales director ended up not quitting, so all I did was run errands for him. It sucked.)
    I was fired from Gibson (for speaking my mind to Henry).
    I was fired from Warner Brothers (for inadvertently finding out about my boss's affair).

Maybe I'll learn my lesson some day.

7. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

Yes I did...I put a down on a new house to be built in a different province, then sold the house I was in and quit. Moved in to the new place once it was finished and after a couple months started looking for work. That was 4 years ago and I don't regret it for a second :D

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

A long time ago, I came to the end of a contract and was fed up. I was also depressed. I thought about killing myself and went to Australia. The idea was if I was still depressed I'd walk out into the midnight surf and drown -- I'm a poor swimmer.

But when I arrive there I found I felt better, better now that I had left my job behind. I bummed around for about six months until all my money was gone. This was also where I met my future wife. I moved to Canada to be with her and found a better job.

Worked for me, but I was single without any responsibilities.

9. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i did and it was so gratifying...but with the situation of no job to go to i had to live off my savings...by the time i became my moms care giver my savings was gone...even before i quit i was trying to get a job...i wasnt offered any...the job situation was unbearable to me...i had jury duty and was hoping to get on a long drawn out case...but that didnt happen...one day and done...so after jury duty i gave notice...funny thing...after jury duty my boss was actually nice and decent...asking how it was and other stuff...i was like...where is this coming from

im a bit sorry i quit in october as november came they had layoffs...i may have gotten it then or the next one in feburary...oh well

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I quit my last day job in 2009 for the freedom and riches of freelance guitar and bass playing.
    I make dozens of dollars, regularly.
    Uh, listen to your wife.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Now that I think about, when I moved across the country to BC, I quit my old job and arrived here without a job. I had tried to look beforehand, but it was too hard to do remotely. People wanted me to pay my own way to come to an interview.

Being a doctor, my wife had it easy -- she already had locums lined up. I looked after the kids in the summer, then took about two months to find a job.

12. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Me too, once.

Working security, and I was the site supervisor. Management had their heads up their assets and really liked to ride the field guys. Bunch of chair riders and paperpushers. I took most of the heat, kind of shielded my people from it. But one night, they went off on one of my guys for having to put off a shift to take his wife to the ER. They read him the riot act and said it wasn't their problem. Then they called me and tried to read it to me too. I told them off. Went into the office with him a couple days later, as he had decided to quit and I stood behind him. Then I quit too. So, secretary looks at me and says "Well, I guess this Letter of Reprimand we have for you isn't needed then, is it? " I said "No, guess not." and we walked out.

Thing was, I ran a tight ship. The job got done and I was good at it. My guys were good at it. It was a wood mill. Part of what we had to do was check hot tags for any welding work done during the day, to make sure it was safe. Then sign off and file the tags.

Management took over the site temporarily, tried to do it themselves. The very week after I quit, the place burned to the ground, probably from a missed tag and work still smoldering. Luckily, no injuries, but the site was a loss.

13. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I'm going to mention something that you might consider, age. When you are over 50, your options go way down. The dirty little secret is that almost nobody wants anyone over 50. Yes, you have experience, which seems to count for very little today.

There is only one type of discrimination accepted now. That is Ageism. It is never talked about, and practiced regularly, in my experience.

Be careful, and check your options before you make a move. If you can find an employer who values your contributions, then "Bob's your uncle." Best of luck.

14. Special Brew

Special Brew Tele-Meister

Did it many times, most recently last November . . . still unemployed

I have done this a few times, I have done the phone in "Hey, you suck the job sucks I am not coming in", just never turning up anymore without telling anyone (that company didn't even try to find out what had happened!), the in the moment "Oh Yeah? Well it looks like you are perfectly placed to do it your ****ing self then!" and the last one when a twaty boss was constantly messing me around I went for a slightly more mature "I don't respect you or anything you have done for this place. In fact I think you have ruined it for all of us and it is nothing I want to be involved with, when can I leave" to which said **** replied "It is up to you" my answer was "Great! I will leave right now".

It always has quite harsh consequences, this time has cost me most of my savings and a lot of stress but I still don't regret it. I just wish I would have planned in advance so I could do it with a bit more panache! I feel like I am both mocked and admired for this sort of behavior. I am obviously called crazy/psycho etc. but most say they wish they had the balls to do it. I am fine with what I have done and the way I did it. Life is way too short and way too cruel to let some petty, small-minded dickhead steal even a minute of your happiness. That said I don't have kids, it would be different if I did.

15. Special Brew

Special Brew Tele-Meister

My theme song!

16. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Once at a radio station because the GM wasn't man enough to talk to me about issues that needed addressing. He kept telling it would all work out. I told him we needed to talk that night before my shift was over.

Midnight rolled around and no phone call or appearance. At sign off I said my good bye on the air, took my ticket off the wall, put a "I quit" note on his door, secured & locked the building, dropped my keys in the mail slot & went home. Slept like a baby.

When confronted the next day I refused to go back. Not my problem they were short staffed with 1st phone holders. Lots of lost revenue that Saturday

17. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Walked out of a job I'd had for a couple of years in the middle of day. I'd just spent six weeks in rehab and had only returned to work a couple of days before. Took off my white lab coat and walked out of the building. They phoned me a couple of days later asking if I was going back. 'No way'. Found another job within the week. That was thirty years ago; not so sure I'd walk into another position like that these days.

Now I think on it I've done it a couple of times, some ended better than others.

18. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

19. Trow

Trow Tele-Holic

I have thought about it a lot recently, but I'm planning on proposing to my girlfriend soon and figure that her and her parents would appreciate if I have a job... :rolleyes:
    But my boss continually lies to everyone and has promised me promotions that at the last minute go to people less qualified and who have less seniority than I do. The difference is that they kiss butt while I refuse to.

20. Zachevans3

Zachevans3 Tele-Meister

I quit at a job and now do the same thing at another company. I worked really hard for them and they treat people badly. The only people that got ahead were the guys that were buddies with the boss. I will work hard and be respectful, but I'm not going to be fake, if you're not a decent human being I am not your buddy. This guy would rip people off, lie, always pass the buck, just no redeeming qualities I could find. He decided that even though I was on commission he wanted me to do other people's work for free, I quit about a month after that. I will work hard but I'm not going to do it for free because other people are too lazy to do it. I've been at this new place 2+ years now, it has it's ups and downs. The old company found out about the manager and fired him, they called me back twice wanting me back, I declined. Last October that same manager interviewed here at the new company, i guess my new boss didn't like him, I'm glad that out of all the terrible people I've met one has got what was coming to them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.