1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Take a smoking deal on a player and upgrade or pay for the American original

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by pickleweed, Feb 19, 2021.

1. pweisenme

pweisenme TDPRI Member

I completely agree with adjason. Also, if you ever decide to trade it in, the AO will command a better price.

2. gilmourjunkie

gilmourjunkie TDPRI Member

The solution is to get both! They are different enough to justify IMO.

3. itsadanimal

itsadanimal TDPRI Member

“I picked up this '09 Fender Highway 1 Honey Blonde at a pawnshop 2 yrs ago for $100.

This guitar could easily be a killer modding platform with so little in it, but I'm keeping it stock.”

Is this advice, or fear?

pickups the only thing keeping a $100 find from being a killer?? swap the pups!!!!!!!

Delara84 likes this.
  4. bensophoto

bensophoto TDPRI Member

My experience went like this
    Had Classic Player 50s with the nitro and really dug it
    Then got PRS p22 and after 6 months thought “why would I ever play my tele instead of this” and sold tele
    Eventually got AO 50s tele
    6 months later thought “why would I ever play PRS instead of this” and sold PRS

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I like smoking deals and I like my Player Strat...no mods required in my book. BUT, I cannot remember handling/playing an AO, so I do not have a real comparison comment for you.

Loaded Goat and howardlo like this.
  6. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

Many years of experiencing "with the mods I make, I'll keep this guitar forever" mindset hasn't held up as my playing tastes and skills evolved. As a result, I've had my share of disappointing resales on my "keep forever" modded guitars. That said, go with the AO. Should you're tastes/passions take you in a new musical direction, you should have an easier time selling an original with a less economic hit. Good luck.

John_B, Loaded Goat and DanCooz like this.
  7. Chuck berry

Chuck berry TDPRI Member

Well here's my 2 cents worth and yes you can do it and it will be the same thing as the american for a whole lot less money. The only difference is you don't have US printed on.
    I bought a mexican tele. At that time they sold for $ 499.00. The neck the body the bridge was all the same as the americans. The pickups that were in was suppose to be the same as the american but l don't think they were. Sometime later l went down to my long mcquade and there was a tele american with noiseless pickups. The price was $ 2,993 and some cents.
    I played it about 5 6 times to get the feel and the sound. Then l ordered fender noiseless pickups which l was told was directly from fender. I put in 2 new pots the one that are less touchy than the fender ones. I played it for maybe a week or so then returned and played the expensive one. Mine believe or not sounded the same way. So the pickups and pots with the poor tax cost about roughly $ 400.00. So l had the same sound and playabilty for $ 800.00.
    The only difference l found is that the american tele was the new cut away style and it doesn't say Us on it. Big deal.And of course the difference in currency. If you live in the US it would be even cheaper So its doable if,if you can do it yourself.

Flaps and Loaded Goat like this.
  8. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Um a player tele isn't the same style of guitar as an AO 60s. the bridge is a modern style etc? If I wanted a 60s vintage style tele, the player's tele surely is not where I would start.

9. dirtguitar

dirtguitar TDPRI Member

You'd think a simple pickup change, Trem change would do the trick and I've done such things, but then I pick up my American and realize I can make the MIM better, but not the same. Better is good, but Perfection is Awesome! My 2 cents

10. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

I probably would need the Player to play the blues next month:rolleyes:

11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My experience is that I'm most satisfied when I wait and buy the thing I really want, as opposed to attempting to 'upgrade' my way there with cheaper gear.

mimmo likes this.
  12. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

Just get the better guitar.

I love my 2014 '64 AV. It's just what I wanted.

13. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

I own both Fender American Professional 1 Telecasters and a Fender MIM Player Tele. To me the Am. Pro sounds and plays better out of the box with no upgrades. The fretwork and feel of the neck is pristine on the USA Teles and not on the MIMs. Pickups on the Am. Pro sound fantastic and don't sound as good on the MIMs. To me it's worth it to pay the extra for the quality workmanship on the Am. Pro. I liked the first one I bought so much, that I bought a second one. That said, The Am. Pro 2 comes in 2 versions. Alder and pine. I have never liked pine bodied guitars because the soft wood dents too easily. I also bought a Fender Am. Performer Tele and like it better than the MIM Tele, but not as much as the Am. Pros.
    2 Teles.jpg 2 Fender Am. Pro Teles, alder on the left, swamp ash with rosewood on the right.
    Btrscotch Tele.jpg
    Fender MIM Player Tele with alder body.
    SB Tele HB.jpg Fender Am. Performer Tele with alder body

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  14. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I wanted an American tele, walked out with a special edition mim.

It was $700 vs $2000. The Mexican sounded great to me, played great, and looked even better to me. I threw on some custom shop pups, and I've got a really great guitar that I'm happy with.

I do notice an improvement on the fit and finish of my more recently acquired American standard Strat. So if you can afford the American, and that's what you really want, you will probably be happier in the long term going that way.

But my mim tele is great!

I think you need to play them and decide.

15. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Very nice, you got a smokin' deal too!

16. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

The Players are nice guitars and I love mine. I go the other way on the bridges though. I will change out a 3 saddle bridge, even a 3 saddle compensated bridge to a 6 saddle bridge. I have proved with my tuner that a 6 saddle bridge intonates better than a compensated 3 saddle bridge. To each his own I guess.

Flaps likes this.
  17. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

"Fit and finish is better" ... it still dings and chips the same as the cheaper model when you play it in real life. Question is, are you more likely to worry about the more expensive pretty perfect guitar getting scratches and thus leave it in the case to only marvel at from time to time, or actually play it and risk it out in the real world?

"Never got my mod expenses back", you need to be smart about the mods. Save the factory parts when modding. Then later pull the mods and put the factory stuff back to sell the guitar. Mods can go on the next guitar.

My vote is get the player series.... and get playing.

teleplayr, Flaps and Jim622 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.