take a look at my wood,tell me what you think

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
I almost didn't open this thread, but I just had to look. What a relief!

What's the plan?

mojz

Tele-Meister
thanks for all the responses.never thought pics of my wood could be so popular!

the pallet was for indian sandstone so i assume it is a native indian species,ive discovered by planing back another one of the skids (that still had bark on it) that surprisingly all of the pieces are from the same tree with all the colour variants
IMAG0579.jpg
not sure what im doing with it now.
was thinking maybe a neck (would be my first)with the one skid that is solid heart wood but i think its too heavy (3kg/6.6lbs 2.5"x2.5"x33") plus its a nightmare to work with.
maybe just laminate some bits of the two colour sapwood together for a top

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Those diagonal patterns in the upper right of your pic reminds me of Aussie Blue Gum....

I think they grow it in plantations all over the planet now for a fast growing hardwood .. I wouldn't be surprised if they grow it in India as well....

BP3.jpg BP1.jpg

Jim85IROC

Tele-Meister
I love the color variations. I'd glue a few of the most different looking pieces together and use it for a top. Glue a few more together for the back, or grab some ash for the back.

Then you can put your best wood on top, and have a hot piece of ash out back. :D

DavidV

Tele-Meister
Something about the flecks make me think it's some kind of Eucalypt which is really common for asian pallets. I'm a pallet hunter too and have found some surprising woods in the pallets from asia or south america. I once found a clean piece of bloodwood with sapwood on once side.