take a look at my wood,tell me what you think

mojz

Tele-Meister
IMAG0578.jpg
been awhile since ive been here.got my hands on an old pallet that was used for indian sandstone,any ideas on what timber these are? dark vertical lines on upper 2 pieces are just where i havnt fully planed the original machining marks out.dark blotches on the lower bit are tearout of highly figured bits

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
In just about every workplace I can think of, a header like that (take a look at my wood...) will get you swept into the office human resources and back out the door before your coffee gets cold.
:eek:

BTW - yr palletcaster could have exposed coils to round out this ban-worthy theme hijack.

Peace - Deeve

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I'll show you my wood, if you will show me.... never mind.

I think the top two pieces are Oak, although one piece looks like it has some red to it, but the rest of it is white.
The bottom piece looks like Cherry to me.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
without knowing where you got it, where you are and how old the pallet might be, pretty hard to even guess.

I'm just glad it was a picture of a pallet.

all that, and maybe that bottom, reddish looking board could be a mahogany piece - but who would put mahogany on a pallet in current times? Way back before I was born, there are reports of using mahogany 2X dimension lumber in framing on the West coast of the US, but I don't really know.

good luck with your search.

philosofriend

Tele-Afflicted
A lot of guitar tinkerers like to evaluate wood by knocking on it. You hold it gently in the air with two fingers and rap on it with your knuckles and click hard on it with a fingernail (like shooting a marble).
If the wood has a nice ring to it like a marimba bar, and a crisp click with the fingernail, it goes in the pile of guitar wood. If it has a dull thump, it is firewood.

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
A lot of guitar tinkerers like to evaluate wood by knocking on it. You hold it gently in the air with two fingers and rap on it with your knuckles and click hard on it with a fingernail (like shooting a marble).
If the wood has a nice ring to it like a marimba bar, and a crisp click with the fingernail, it goes in the pile of guitar wood. If it has a dull thump, it is firewood.

And if it sounds like a ripe melon, you should should serve it for dinner.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity
The trashy left-over portions of trees get turned into pallet planking, so they can have surprising types of wood on them.

No oak (none have the cross-linking fibers). I'd guess the top was an 'ash' but these will all come from the same region, likewise the second looks like cedar but unlikely to be found near the tropics, mahogany is the last one, the swirls are either a crotch near the top of the tree or a cut up stump.

The wood database: http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-identification-guide/

I'd try to resaw that mahogany into 1/4inch tops to show off that burl (maybe three wide on a guitar). Or use it for fingerboards (although dry it good after cutting).

DrASATele

Poster Extraordinaire

It's true some luthiers do this.
There are a few 'How to' videos on Utube and I think there's a few threads here in the home depot too.
How much it impacts the sound of an electric guitar is highly debatable (especially in here) and likely to get your thread shut down or even get you banned from the forum. of course that depends on how passionately you choose to state your side of said debate.
Any who...what's your wood sound like? :twisted: