1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Takamine Pro series a/e guitars, particularly the P4DC

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by LGOberean, Dec 14, 2013.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Anyone have hands on experience with guitars in Takamine's Pro series? The P4DC in particular has caught my eye.

[​IMG]

Several of Takamine Pro series guitars were reviewed in the January 2014 issue of Guitar Player: the P1D, P3MC, P4DC, P6JC & P7DC. The latter two are just plain out of my price range, but like I said, the P4DC got my attention.

Matt Blackett did the review of the P4DC for Guitar Player (January 2014 issue). And here he is doing a video demo of that guitar.

Sweetwater Sound also has a YT video demo of the P4DC.

And one more vid just for good measure.

So anyone here have a P4DC? Or has test driven one, at least? Or any other of the Taks in the Pro series?

2. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

All the Tak Pro guitars are pretty darn nice I think especially for live playing. I haven't tried the one you mention not really being a Dread person but I have played this
    http://www.takamine.com/en-TW/guita...way-orchestra-rosewood-fingerboard-with-case/

Very nice and certainly tempting. I'm usually a Spruce person but this Cedar over Sapele is very nice and warm. Plus the CT4BII over the Cool Tube, I'm not sold on the CTube. CT4BII is simpler and waaaay better battery life. I sniff a little at the no pins bridge too, but it is neat and you can't drop one in a hurry which is a pain. Good guitars I think.

I doubt I'll upgrade not being particularly flush with funds but yes...nice.

Kristina

3. LGOberean

Hi, Kris ~

You touched on the other Tak model that caught my eye. The P3MC was another of the models reviewed by GP in their January 2014 issue. If I were looking to replace my OM sized guitar, I'd be looking hard at this one.

One of my acoustic dreads has a solid cedar top as well. I love the warmth of its tone, so I can relate to your comments about the warmth of the P3MC you test drove. As for the CT4BII over the Cool Tube, thanks for your insights on that. Haven't played a guitar with either one of these systems yet, or read up on them, so I wouldn't have known about the battery life.

Oh, and I actually prefer a pinless bridge now. My little Crafter that I've had for more than a dozen years has that type of bridge, and my go-to gigging a/e Breedlove has it as well. Faster and more convenient when it comes to changing strings, and no down side to it that I can see.

Oh, almost forgot. Kris, what did you think of the playability of the neck? Takamine seems to emphasize their asymmetrical necks. I don't recall other brands referencing this. Is this asymmetrical bit Tak hype, or did this neck actually feel noticeably better to you?

Same question to anyone else out there in TDPRI land, BTW. About this feature in general, different models, & etc.

4. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

Hi Larry. One of the things I like most about my G series is the playability, but I did need to do a few tweaks to it to get it there. The Pro's and the old EF's etc seem to be spot on out of the box. Asymmetrical? Well there may be something to it as the Tak necks always seem nice, my issue was the bridge and the tuners, but I'm just cynical enough to feel a bit of marketing speak going on. Not that there's anything wrong with that, cough.

Pinless bridges... yeah they could grow on me I think.

Kris

5. Edwin

Edwin Banned

They do look good. the thing I like about Takamines is the split bridge and the electronics. I have an older EAN 40C that has a cedar top that sounds great but cedar wears quickly so I put a pick guard on it. I also have a G series 12 string jumbo that is really an awesome performer. (solid spruce top). I only GAS for Takamine acoustics. Nothing else will do. Sorry Bob Taylor.

6. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

That guitar has a really sweet sound. I wouldn't mind being seen playing it.

7. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Larry, you know I'm prejudiced, but I'll say anyway that a Pro Series Tak is a guitar I would not hesitate to buy sight unseen, provided I liked its specs, and provided I'd worked out a reasonable price, well below "list", with the dealer I ordered it from, based probably on internet prices plus a little. Takamine Japan always, in my opinion, puts out first-rate instruments, both in materials and workmanship.

One of the biggest problems with the Takamine brand, to me, is that dealers don't (probably can't) floor the top-of-the-line guitars, especially not with any variety, so you can't really shop Taks in person. That's a shame, too, because then public perception is based on the G-series guitars, which are fine for what they are, but which don't hold a candle to the top-tier models.

Thanks a lot. You just gave me a GAS attack!

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I played a glenn frey model Tak and was really impressed by it. If I was playing acoustic gigs, it would be one to consider... just a really great guitar.

9. P Thought

I played a Glenn Frey too, once, in a store in Salem. Beautiful guitar.

My own two favorite Takamine features are 1 3/4" (45mm) nuts and the lightweight, stealthy "Line Driver" electronics setup, so my choices are a bit limited. Here's the spec sheet on my now-discontinued EF340S BG, which is pretty much a lifer for me. I might someday seek out a NOS 360 version of the same guitar, in rosewood; mine's mahogany.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  10. LGOberean

Yeah, I thought of "P Thought" when I started this thread... ;) ...and I was hoping to have you chime in here. :D I enjoy your posts, especially about Taks, so thanks for sharing.

I believe you. I haven't had a whole lot of experience with Takamine Japan's guitars, but what experience I've had is positive, and their reputation is certainly stellar.

Yeah, I've experienced this locally. In fact, when I went in to my local GC to check for the P4DC, or any of the guitars in the Pro series, there were none to be had. Worse still, there wasn't a single Tak in the acoustic guitar room! :eek:

Awww, don't mention it! What are TDPRI brothers for?!? :twisted: :p

11. P Thought

I got to looking at the specs on all the P-series guitars: only the 7s have 1 3/4" nuts, and none offer the Line Driver preamp. Hmmph. Kind of disappointing. Oh, well, there are still many SBGs around, and of course there's the one I have already. . . .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.