Takamine GJ72CE-NAT - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Ducerro, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

I'm looking for info on the Takamine GJ72CE-NAT, but not finding much. I did find a foreign video review and really - no I mean REALLY - liked the sounds I heard. Of course I have absolutely no idea what they are saying in the video, but the guitar is certainly speaking to me. Hoping someone on here has one and can comment. Thanks!

Looking for owner's perspectives on neck feel and how it compares to a "known" - such as a Yamaha FG730S - the only acoustic I own at the present. I'd also like to know how the neck compares to a tele (of all things).

BTW - I've already looked at the following - Seagull S6, Seagull Performer CW, Breedlove Discovery, Breedlove Pursuit Concert CE, PRS SE Angelus AX20E, Taylor 114CE, and the Guild D-140. Not wanting to upset the apple cart, but there are no Martins in this price range I would buy - I simply don't like the look of Martin's HPL finish. That's a purely personal opinion and may not mesh with yours, but it's a deal killer for me.

Also, we're not close to anything out here. There are no music stores within 90 miles of me that carry the Takamine line, so finding one to try is going to be difficult.

Nickadermis likes this.
  2. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I don't know that particular model, Takamine makes so many, but I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Takamine nut, and I can say they make very good guitars, with generally good preamps built in. I've had probably 20 Taks pass through my hands; I own six now, if you count the electric one (they only made those for a couple years in the mid-'80s). They range in production dates from 1975 to 2007. All mine are Japanese made.

The G-series guitars are made in Korea or China, and the F-series ones in Japan, as well as the recent "Pro Series". When I bought my first Taks in the '70s there were only Japanese ones, and they always seemed to offer lots of guitar for the money. I think they still do, at all price points, although lots has happened to money since that time. The necks on Japanese Taks are usually terrific.

It is a problem, a crapshoot actually, to find any particular model to play and try. That's especially true with the high-end Japanese-made instruments. I've done well browsing the Guitar Center used pages, then checking features on the Takamine website. I'd recommend spending G-series money on an older F-series guitar bought used, pretty much any day of the week. Guitar Center's return policy gives you some peace of mind in buying sight unseen; you can always return a purchase within 45 days and be out only the cost of shipping.

U.S. Distribution of Takamine guitars was originally franchised to Kaman Music, the people who made the first Ovation guitars. They sold the distribution rights to Fender some years ago, and now another company has acquired the franchise; I forget their name. I hope I have all that more or less right. In other parts of the world Takamines have different model numbering, and different models available. Some of those pop up for sale now and then in the U.S.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    brookdalebill and Ducerro like this.
  3. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Great info! Thank you!

4. P Thought

I searched GJ72CE (left off the NAT, not sure what that means). There are 6 on the GC used site right now, though 3 are sunburst and one is a 12-string. One is in Willowbrook, TX. Where's that from you? (Edit: I checked. 130 miles. Outside Houston. I'd call 'em, ask 'em to set it aside for me, then drive to see it. Might get a better price if you're there in person.)

You can't play it, that's true, but what I've done (someone on this forum suggested it) is call the store and ask them to grab the guitar and answer questions about it over the phone. If they ship you a guitar and you hate it, you can return it to the store closest to you, even if it came from a store somewhere else.

Dang it, @Ducerro, now you have me browsing Takamines again!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  5. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

The NAT stands for Natural - which is the finish only. The sunburst version is BSB (Brown Sun Burst). I have what amounts to an Amazon gift card worth $335, so I'm mostly interested in ordering a new one off Amazon. I know many feel this is risky, but my Telecaster and my Stratocaster were both ordered online from Amazon as well - and I am extremely pleased with both of these. With the "gift card" I'd be looking at $235 plus tax shipped for the Takamine, so even if it turned out to be less than expected I'm not out much.

I've seen the Sun Burst version pop up on Musician's Friend's "Stupid Deal of the Day" at least once, but not here lately. I keep checking though. I'd prefer to have the Natural finish, but a killer deal on a Sun Burst would be enough of an incentive to pull the trigger.

Thanks for looking at GC for me! I'm very familiar with Willowbrook as I worked in Tomball when we lived in Katy (how's that for getting three towns into one sentence). Katy to Tomball was only 35 miles or so, but it took me a minimum of an hour and a half to travel every day. Tomball is next to Willowbrook by the way. From our farm in Yoakum it would be close to three hours with traffic and such. It's not the three hour drive that would upset me, it's dealing with the traffic.

P Thought likes this.
  6. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Thanks for finding that one! It's here if anyone is interested: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Takamine/GJ72CE-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-114575404.gc

That IS the one I'm looking for - correct color and all. I really, really, really hate driving in Houston area traffic - but I may have to make an exception to go and try this one out.

P Thought likes this.
  7. claes

claes Tele-Holic

I have the GD93 wich I love and it was great trade up from yamaha fg730 that was a great guitar too. Every g series I tried in stores was great even the cheapest. But this i bought from thomann in a drive. Think I payed 260 euro for a supossedly blemished one.
    I prefere guitars in this pricerange. Think the g-serie is great

Ducerro likes this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great guitars!

Ducerro likes this.
  9. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That GC is about 4 miles from me and I'll be literally on the other side of the highway from it a little later today. I can stop in and see if it's still there and looks Ok.

Ducerro likes this.
  10. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I have the GD71CE NAT . AND I LOVE IT!

11. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Wow! Appreciate the offer! It's not the condition I'm worried about, it's how the guitar would feel in my hands that has me worried. The Tak is a Jumbo and although it's only slightly larger than a Dreadnaught, it's still bigger. I'm NOT a small guy (by any stretch of the imagination), so the Jumbo should be OK - but there are times when my Yamaha FG730S - which is the "smaller" Dreadnaught size - seems "uncomfortable" and I have to take that into consideration.

Thanks again!

12. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

How's the neck compare to your other guitars? Shape, thickness, and width are all things I'm interested in. Thanks!

13. still_fiddlin

I can swing by and give you some thoughts a bit later.

I'm a relatively small guy, probably normal by 1950s standards but always played a dread until a few years ago when I got one of those newer GP size cutaway A/Es. Still play the dreads though and they've never bothered me. Jumbos give me pause (at least sitting down), but, hey, Emmylou plays one...

Ducerro likes this.
  14. P Thought

THAT's the main reason I chose this one:

EF340S BG.jpg

It's an EF340S BG, has a 1 3/4" nut. Fills my hand, and lets me play a lot longer without carpal-tunnel problems. It's funny how that 1/16" of extra width can give you so much more comfort; all my guitars except one are at least that wide.

I don't know which of the G-series models have wide nuts, but I'll bet a few of them do.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Ducerro and Chunkocaster like this.
  15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The late 70's early 80's Tak ef360s 370s are a nice guitar for not a lot of money.
    I've got a 82 same as this. Photo is generic internet but same guitar. I think they based the newer Glenn Frey model on these. Those obviously go for a lot more money. The older ones like mine have laminate back and sides. Solid top if the model ends in S.
    [​IMG]

Ducerro and P Thought like this.
  16. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

1535386557852.jpg neck shape is closest to my PRS SE1. very good preamp... Plays great for me

Ducerro likes this.
  17. still_fiddlin

Ok, I stopped by and it took a while because they had to go look for it. "It was in the back for some reason," was all I got.

Short story, great action, great looks, good plugged in sound and superb action but very mediocre acoustic sound.

Long story - the good is that it's a really pretty guitar in very good shape. I only saw one tiny finish mark on the top, maybe a case latch bump or something, the size of a cat's claw. The action is amazing - practically electric-like and I had my little ruler and it looked about 3mm/2mm off the 12th fret and just about perfect. Maybe a fret or two didn't ring perfectly, but honestly one of the best acoustic setups I've played (though for my playing it was a mite too low).

It also surprised me that it has maple back and sides, which is nicely flamed. A bit odd with only a 12th fret marker on the fingerboard, but it didn't bother me.

The neck is 1 11/16" wide at the nut, so more traditional there, and it's beefy to my hands. I have a dread with a deep neck that width but this one is more D profile than soft-V, and it's got a good shoulder with the binding (my D is unbound). I could get used to it, I'm sure, but it's a handful. It doesn't thicken a ton up the neck though, so never got where I thought it was just wrong. I was playing some bar chords up at the 12th fret - no problem, especially with that action.

Plugged in sounds very good. It's a nice system, whatever they put in there, though it takes up a big chunk of the top side. I have to say that I've come to appreciate the more minimal approach of Taylor and Martin's PA line.

The bad for me was the acoustic sound. I've never found a maple guitar that wowed me, and this was one of the least inspiring. Talk about tight. It just didn't boom out like was expecting or how I thought any guitar that size with a solid top would sound. Maybe medium strings and a couple months of thumping on it would bring it around, but it was a disappointment.

They had an Epiphone Masterbilt there (dreadnaught cutaway) about the same price that was a nicer guitar - I was playing that for a while during their search for the missing Tak. The low E was the tiniest bit weak, but that might be something strings or setup would fix. The action might be a little high for some folks, but, TBH, was probably better than the Martin I play most regularly. (It needs some TLC.)
    tak-front.jpg tak-side.jpg tak-back.jpg

Ducerro likes this.
  18. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

And pictures too! Man, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your stopping by to look at the Tak for me! And the write up was superb!!!

Once again - THANK YOU!

19. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Well , we drove 280 plus miles round trip (wife and I) out to the Willowbrook Guitar Center to take a look at the Tak. I wanted SO BAD to love it, but it just wasn't so. Two things were the main problems, with one being a definate no go.

First was the finish on the guitar. Loads of clear everywhere and it was thick to boot. The guitar looked guady or cheap - not sure which, maybe both. It was almost like Takamine was attemping to cover up something more so than finish off the guitar.

But, that wasn't the deal killer - the neck was. It was THICK - like baseball bat thick - and with the excessive clear coat it was simply too much.

That said, the action was 100 times better than my Yamaha - I loved that! And the sound was exactly what I was looking for - but the neck was something I just couldn't live with. So the search continues!

Thanks to everyone who posted...

20. still_fiddlin

Sorry it didn't work out for you. That's a day trip for sure, even in these parts.

Yeah, that was a big neck, but I've already got a D with something similar, though I did say it felt even bigger to me. The finish didn't bother me because I guess it's what I kind of expect in that price range. The lack of wood grain in the maple may exaggerate the impression, and maybe that's part of my own [maple] turn-off, at least on natural finishes. (I had a nice Eastman mando in all natural, and it was nitro not thicker than the "normal" bursts, but I have to say it did look thick! Never warmed up to it so it's been gone a while now.)

Ducerro likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.