Takamine G or Taylor 114e?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by VerySlowHand, Oct 6, 2017.

1. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Hi Folks,

In a nutshell, I'm wondering how far does the Takamine G series punch above it's weight... would you guys say as high as the Taylor 114e? If so, I can save some money.

Just sold a Martin DX HPL dred as I'm looking for something a little brighter for finger style.

I tried a friend's G series Takamine at the weekend (not sure which model) and liked it a lot. Sweet, 'zingy' (or 'lush', if that's not a bad description) and also full-bodied. I also liked the neck more than my Martin.

I bought the Martin, cuz I just had to have a Martin, but now I realise that while it's an okay guitar, there are other options in the price range and I no longer have that Martin GAS.

I have the cash for a new or used Taylor 114e, but wonder if I'm wasting my money when the Takamine G series is just as nice.

I am an average player and this is just for home use.

I'm open-minded, so all opinions and options (up to £650.00) are welcome.

2. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Afflicted

I bought a G series in 2007, because I had to play a song at a funeral and didnt have an acoustic. I played everything within my budget I wanted to spend, and a few that were reasonably outside of it, and for some reason, they just didn't have the spark Takamine had. I remember it came down to the Takamine and a Taylor (not sure of the model any more), but I ended up spending $350 USD on the Takamine and have never regretted the purchase. The Taylor model just didnt have the fullness the Takamine had. I have never got bored with it's tone an in fact, it seems to have improved with age but maybe that is just my ears.

I say if you are buying sight unseen, buy the g series. If you can play both in a shop and compare, pick the best one to your ears.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'd prefer the Takamine.

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

There are no bad choices within the guitars that you like.

I have a Taylor 150e that I gigged for a couple years. The Taylor 100's are all great and you should consider the new Taylor Academy series which will cost a little less than the 100's. I bought an Academy e for $540 USD and the bevel where your right arm lays over the lower bout is so comfy.

The Tak G series is very nice but I would look at comparable priced Yamahas. You might as good or better in the Yamaha family.

5. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

A buddy of mine traded an amp for a new Takamine G340 with the built in electronics a couple of years ago. In all my experience with all my guitars, those I've played in stores, and those belonging to friends, it is far and away the best a/e I've ever heard, other than on a major-act stage. It plays as well as any higher end guitar too. It absolutely sounds like a great acoustic guitar, amplified--which is one of the hardest things on earth to accomplish.

I had one for a while; but while mine was a great acoustic, I ended up trading simply because I wanted one with on-board preamp and controls. I seriously doubt if my friend would ever get rid of his. When he got the Takamine, he hung his Martin DC-15 on the wall and I think I'm the only one that plays his Martin anymore.

My daughter has a Yamaha and it's a really good guitar. I'm saying that at least this one Taki I've had experience with, is an absolutely amazing guitar and the one I owned was pretty darn great. YMMV.

6. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Fender has some surprisingly nice acoustics out too.

7. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Thanks for the replies guys - you could be saving me some money here. But apart from that, it's reassuring to have knowledgable confirmation of my thoughts on the Takamine. My friend emailed me today and hers is a Takamine G220, now discontinued.

I used to have an LS6 Yamaha... I liked it, but I thought it was a little overbuilt and not very full sounding (the LJ is better, but I don't want a jumbo and the LL is just too full of rosewood overtones for my tastes). I also don't like the bound necks on the Yams.

One of the things I particularly liked about my friend's Takamine was the neck. The frets were finished perfectly and I liked the profile, a little bit more chunky than my Martin, but very comfortable.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  8. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm not up on exchange rates, or on England's used-guitar market, but £650.00 sounds to me like it would get you in the ballpark to buy a used Japanese-made Tak (F-series and such), which is another step up again in both build quality and electronics.

It's been my experience and opinion that just about any Takamine is a lot of guitar for the money.

9. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

It seems to me it is impossible to make any generalizations about Takamine "G" series, from what I am seeing they range in price from about $230-$650.

I have no idea what model Tak I played in my local Sam Ash, about $450, not in the same league as a 114 Taylor.

10. The Little Guy

The Little Guy Tele-Meister

I'm a fan of Takamine. My favorite acoustic ever was an entry level G240. It was just fun to play. I don't remember the sound as much as the feeling I had when playing it, but I haven't felt that for an acoustic in a while. I gave it away over a decade ago and miss it.

My brother has a GS430 that's a delight to play too.

All that to say, if I could find a store locally that carries Taks, I would seriously consid trading my Martin for one.

But, as you probably know, it's all about what guitar will inspire you to pick up and play. Find that one, and keep it.

11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Takamine G series for a while. I replaced it with a Seagull. Twice the quality for the same price. Get a Seagull.

12. gentlyweeping

gentlyweeping Tele-Meister

I've tried two bolt on neck acoustics one of which is the Taylor 210ce. I've given them plenty of daily playing time and they should have warmed up a bit by now. But, no luck. I'll be staying away from bolt on acoustics from now on. To my ears, there is a bright metallic "ping" I find unpleasant in the design. Tried all the string types but couldn't lose that unnatural sounding "ping". I'm getting my Epiphone Masterbilt out of consignment and selling the two with bolt on necks. My long winded way of saying go for the Takamine.

13. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Check out the Guild OM series as well. Similar to the 114e but for less money and they sound great. All satin finish which I believe helps bring out the tone and volume versus poly guitars.

14. JORear

JORear Tele-Meister

I sold a Taylor 414CE for funds toward a Martin HD28V. I love my Martin. A couple years ago I purchased a Blue Ridge BR-140. The Blue Ridge is hands down a better guitar for the money. The Martin sounds like a $2500 guitar. The Blue Ridge is a $400 guitar that sounds like a $1500 guitar. If you have never played one, I would highly recommend trying one out.

15. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Thanks for all the replies folks, but I decided to keep my Martin. Just couldn't be sure a Taylor would have a full enough sound - and I can always add a Takamine G series, as they're so inexpensive.

Anyway, I bought some EJ16s for the Martin - having previously been wedded to Martin 80/20s - and it has come alive. Sounds full and 'zingy' again. Amazing what a string change can do.

16. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

So I bought a Taylor 114!

Postscript to the above. My enthusiasm for the string change on the Martin was short lived - after a few weeks it sounded like it always did... good, but somehow lacking zing and sparkle. So I sold it after all and bought an 'old version' Taylor 114, with mahogany and no electrics. I swore I'd never buy an acoustic mail order, but it was on offer and easy enough to return if I didn't like it. I got lucky - it's really nice out of the box, really resonant, well balanced and complex to the degree that if I didn't know I might have said it was rosewood, certainly not as dry as the Martin... gorgeous for finger style.

Thought that the place I bought from, Peach Guitars in the UK, deserved a mention. They have a really nice website - good pictures - and service was great. No affiliation to them whatsoever, in fact it's the first time I've bought from them, but the Taylor was £399.00 new, which is secondhand pricing.

Pickcity likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.