Takamine electrics--anybody else have one?

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
In the mid-'80s, Takamine made several models of electric guitars. As far as I've seen, they all had the same pickup/switching combinations, with dual humbuckers, but there were three main body styles, all with set necks. I have heard that Takamine made only about 200 of each style, before they stopped making solidbody electrics and began concentrating on acoustic-electrics.

Mine is a GX-200T, a black strat-style mahogany body with a set neck. It had a whammy bar when I bought it, but I couldn't get it to stay in tune, so the repairman screwed down the tremolo block, and that problem went away. It's a very comfortable guitar to play, both neck and body. I've seen these on e-Bay in white, and with a red-and-black or blue-and-black burst treatment, and once in silver. Also some came without the "T" designation, for tremolo.

There's also a GX-100, an explorer-style body, again with a set neck, and a GX-300, a double-cut body. Those are the main styles, but I have seen others, and once a bass in a wild heavy-metal design.

Does anybody else have one of these? Here's the only picture I have available of mine, other than the picture of its headstock that's in my avatar.

BlackJackTakstrat.jpg

Last edited:

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I got one!
I picked this project up off craigslist a couple months ago for $50. Quality build. Previous owner has removed some paint. I'm real close to being finished with it. Went with white first but hated it so switched to dupli color universal black metallic and am really liking it.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
66243529113__8A4ADCA5-C712-49D1-8A62-2E548489F200.jpg
IMG_9189.jpg
IMG_9190.jpg

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I had one of the blue burst explorer types briefly in the late 80’s or early 90’s. As I get older everything starts to run together. It was a pawnshop find. Nice guitar, from what I remember.