Tagboard Terror

pinchegil

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
Had to take a life break, thats done, now I want to build a higher gain amp for my les paul. Tiny Terror was mentioned a couple of times after looking at it i wasn't scared off. The only mod to the circuit was choke and no variable watt switch. I also have seen a few articles that say to put the filter caps closer to their stage so I tried to do that. I have scanned it several times. This is my first attempt to actually take a schematic to a layout so I am expecting issues.
1643864399886.png

1643864432358.png

Attachments

• TinyTerrorMasterGround.pdf
    178.5 KB · Views: 23
  • tiny_terror.pdf
    297.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

supersonicobr

Tele-Meister
Thumbs up on how you laid out the phase inverter plate resistors, dropper and reservoir cap together - I've done a very similar looking layout for the first two gain stages on both Marshall and Fender clones, but on turrets not tags. It's the perfect sized spot for a radial cap too. Keep it up, looking forward to seeing the results!

(edit: spelling)

pinchegil

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
Ok I think I tried to stuff too much onto a tagboard. When i needed more connection points, I used turrets instead of eyelets&tags which caused a lot of flying resistors. I flow the eyelet to the tag when I use the eyelet as solder point so that looks kind of messy (neatness is not my forte). I had to lay the 100uf on its side to clear the chassis. there are two wrong values on my layout R14 should be 470k R19 should be 220k I will correct and post new layouts. I also added a second 220k bleeder on the second cap to bleed both sides even if the standby was on, will this give me any issues?? Yes I still need to hot glue the filter caps
edited to move 220 to 220k

TT-FullBoard.png
TT-MidBrd.png
TT-PreAmp.png
TT-PwrSply.png

Last edited:

sds1

Friend of Leo's
Looks great man.

I also added a second 220 bleeder on the second cap to bleed both sides even if the standby was on, will this give me any issues??

Nope this is good thinking, just so long as you installed 200kΩ and not 220Ω... ;)

supersonicobr

Tele-Meister
looks to me like you got the wrong terminal on the bridge recto tied to your power supply negative? the "˜"s are the AC inputs, "-" is your DC negative, "+" goes to DC positive. on the photos it *looks* like you got the top ~ connected to the second radial cap from the left and then onto the power tube cathode, instead of the -. please double check.

sds1

Friend of Leo's
looks to me like you got the wrong terminal on the bridge recto tied to your power supply negative? the "˜"s are the AC inputs, "-" is your DC negative, "+" goes to DC positive. on the photos it *looks* like you got the top ~ connected to the second radial cap from the left and then onto the power tube cathode, instead of the -. please double check.
Good catch, it actually looks to me like that AC terminal is on the power ground buss.

pinchegil

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
Thanks!! You are right, fortunately that tag is not soldered yet I was waiting to connect it to a wire connected to the chassis so that is not an issue (now that I see it)

pinchegil

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
Now the fun part how to layout the chassis. Through reading lots of forums I went with a Hammond 159p choke, I had no idea it would be so big. After two hours of moving here and there I think I have what I want. I have never installed a choke so I am not sure of the placement. The sockets are not oriented they are just there for placement. Anybody see any issues with this layout.
1644418053410.png

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
When you use solid state rectifier the Choke is not necessary and in practice can radiate a lot of electromagnetic noise which some might transfer to output transformer. This because SS diodes are much more efficient than tube diodes.

Choke is often used with tube rectifier when it lower the peak current and also regulate DC outout.

Based to few recent builds it is more cost, weight and noiseless efficient to build more RC filter stages. Or RCR filters where resistor is also on common rail before B+1 output.

Last edited:

pinchegil

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
When you use solid state rectifier the Choke is not necessary and in practice can radiate a lot of electromagnetic noise which some might transfer to output transformer. This because SS diodes are much more efficient than tube diodes.

Choke is often used with tube rectifier when it lower the peak current and also regulate DC outout.
I read that a lot and that is the school of thought. However, in researching the tiny terror one of the major upgrades is adding a 10h choke, from modders and there is also a kit from MM that uses a 10h choke as well. I decided to add it right off to avoid layout issues if I chose to do it in the future

bebopbrain

Tele-Meister
one of the major upgrades is adding a 10h choke ...

Since the Tiny Terror is higher gain, the challenge is to make it quiet with filtering and careful grounding. I built that schematic using the iron and faceplate from a Grason Stadler noise generator. This came with 2 Freed chokes, a 6H for the choke input power supply and a 10H for preamps. The more chokes the merrier. Mine is super quiet.

Prediction: you will love this amp.

pinchegil

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
After another life break I finally finished the build to where it makes noise, it is not my prettiest work and their was a problem, the volume or tone did not work, the gain acts as a volume, The schematic appears to have the stacked volume pot connected in serial which I found is not the case.
1653148931250.png

I think that in this config you would get max signal to either of the tubes at 0 and 10 and half to each at 5, so the amp was not that loud eaither. I connected them parallel and the amp sounds great and pretty loud. There are no cleans to this amp but boy does it sound good through humbuckers. Next step take measurements to see what output and see if I need to fuss with the 120ohm cathode resistor. my voltages (A-D) were about 20v high
bottomtt.png circuit.png

ok_state_blues

Tele-Meister
Will you be updating to show a final layout once all your tweaks are done? I, for one, have had the parts for this for quite some time and would appreciate standing on the shoulder of giants.

pinchegil

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
Will you be updating to show a final layout once all your tweaks are done? I, for one, have had the parts for this for quite some time and would appreciate standing on the shoulder of giants.
Are you going to use a tagboard or turrets? There are some extra considerations with tagboards and radial caps.