Tag Strip build of a '63 Reverb Unit 6G15

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by dougsta, Oct 22, 2021.

1. dougsta

dougsta Tele-Meister

I've always wanted a Fender '63 Reverb Unit so it was time to build one.

As I have a lot of tag strips I thought I do a point to point build based on them.

Here's the DIYLC design completed:

v3.png

Quite a simple build in the end.

I used a long 2 spring tank 8Ω input like in the Fender Unit.

I have a 10W SE OT from Primarywindings.com that is a good match:

https://primarywindings.com/product/pwse10w5k0g/

But I have it planned for a 6L6GC champ type build.. so then I remembered I have 6V6GT and OT from a 1950's radio OT, sounds good.

Here's some sound clips of the final build.

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?ur...ow_reposts=false&show_teaser=true&visual=true"></iframe><div style="font-size: 10px; color: #cccccc;line-break: anywhere;word-break: normal;overflow: hidden;white-space: nowrap;text-overflow: ellipsis; font-family: Interstate,Lucida Grande,Lucida Sans Unicode,Lucida Sans,Garuda,Verdana,Tahoma,sans-serif;font-weight: 100;"><a href="" title="Dougie Tamson" target="_blank" style="color: #cccccc; text-decoration: none;">Dougie Tamson</a> · <a href="" title="Reverb Test3" target="_blank" style="color: #cccccc; text-decoration: none;">Reverb Test3</a></div>

and here's a full mixdown demo - 3 tracks of a Strat -> 63 Reverb -> audio interface, no digital effects, all reverb from the 63 unit

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?ur...ow_reposts=false&show_teaser=true&visual=true"></iframe><div style="font-size: 10px; color: #cccccc;line-break: anywhere;word-break: normal;overflow: hidden;white-space: nowrap;text-overflow: ellipsis; font-family: Interstate,Lucida Grande,Lucida Sans Unicode,Lucida Sans,Garuda,Verdana,Tahoma,sans-serif;font-weight: 100;"><a href="" title="Dougie Tamson" target="_blank" style="color: #cccccc; text-decoration: none;">Dougie Tamson</a> · <a href="" title="63 Reverb Build Test" target="_blank" style="color: #cccccc; text-decoration: none;">63 Reverb Build Test</a></div>

Now I'm thinking of expanding it to include a proper pre-amp, only need to add 1 or 2 12ax7's

Doug.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    danfalck, as5431, Mike_LA and 7 others like this.
  2. mountainhick

mountainhick Tele-Meister

Very cool!

Not sure why, but your soundcloud links were not visible to me in your post. They are when I hit reply and the message appeared in the write reply mode.

Link

Link

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  3. dougsta

dougsta Tele-Meister

Thanks for fixing the links, very strange, that's the 1st time I've seen links disappearing.

4. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

When I put my '64 princeton reverb in the closet for safe keeping, the only thing that I really missed was the reverb. So I ended up building 3 from weber kits.

Love the 6G15, best of luck with your build.

5. dougsta

dougsta Tele-Meister

I was going over my '63 reverb build and decided to add an EF86 to the 1st pre-amp tube triode and then spotted a mistake with my layout.

V1 pin 1 should only be connected to the 100k resistor, I had it also connected to the 0.01µF cap, the cap should be connected at the other end of the 100k where it also connects to the 10k resistor.

v4.jpg

Here's the EF86 fitted (I had already drilled a hole and added spare socket to try an EL84/EL83 as the reverb driver)

Nice set of old Mullards and an old USSR 6V6

IMG_9922.jpg

IMG_9921.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.