Tablet owners

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by vinman, Nov 18, 2011.

1. vinman

vinman Tele-Meister

I'm thinking about asking Santa for one I'm leaning towards an Android at the moment From what I understand, Ipad kind of only lets you use their stuff if I'm saying it right
    What do you have and what are you using it for?
    Are there apps out there like Ipad has?

I have been doing some research and even watching you tube videos, but they are so-so helpful

Thanks for your time.

2. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I've got an HP Touchpad 32. I like it a lot. I also really like the iPad. No matter what people say about the iPad, including the high price, it's a great device. I like it alot.

But more realistic and also a very good product....is the Toshiba Thrive. It comes in an 8gb model starting around 320 to the 32gb version for closer to 475 bucks. The Toshiba Thrive runs Android and has a boatload of features, including a memory card slot and a usb port. I'd get that and make sure to buy an extended warranty. I always buy one on high ticket items.

3. avagadro

avagadro Tele-Meister

I bought a "SuperpadIII" through Amazon.com for $165 plus shipping. It is running Android 2.3 and seems to work pretty well. It is not bad for the money involved.

4. vinman

vinman Tele-Meister

thanks for the answers guys, i appreciate it. They all seem pretty similar except for the I/O ports and storage capacity. I was looking at the Thrive, the Samsung and the Asus today and giving them a feel. (that sounds a little pervy)

5. rocksteady Max

rocksteady Max Tele-Afflicted

no iPad owners chimed in yet ... I'm surprised.
    About the "closed environment" of the iPad : we may be in jail but a jail designed and maintained by the best designers & programers we don't even miss the 'freedom' of Flash, USB ports and the ability to customize stuff.

Imo the only advantage of the other slates is their price

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I have an iPad and I love it. With 85 jillion apps available, I don't feel very restricted.

7. mildwild

mildwild Tele-Afflicted

I'm loving my iPad2 , downside for me I think my guitar playing has suffered a little.

8. rocksteady Max

rocksteady Max Tele-Afflicted

I beg to differ ! I have so much more fun playing now with the iPad. All my tabs and chords charts are on my Dropbox. I tune with Peterson tuner app. I jam along with tracks made on Garageband. Electro music wise : I have a kick out of this Korg Synth app . Having a Android tablet must be so frustrating as most app out there are first designed for iPad (a lot never get reprogrammed for Android).

9. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's

I have an iPad 2 (10" screen), wife has Amazon Fire (7" screen), Mom has an iPad, 3 cousins have iPads and one Amazon Fire.

iPad won't do Flash. The iPad is big. The Fire is easy to hold in one hand or put in a purse. iPad has more apps, but Android has enough apps to satisfy most of us.

There are a lot of different Android tablets and most will give you a different experience so be sure to put your hands on them before you buy them or buy from a place that has a good return policy.

In my opinion a sure bet will be the iPad if you can afford it. Buying Android doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be saving any money. The Samsung Galaxy is as much as the iPad and most other android tablets are close in price. The Amazon Fire is only $199, but is a curated experience like the iPad.

10. Thundersleet

Thundersleet Tele-Afflicted

vinman you really need to throw in a price range. You can get two Kindle Fires with cases for the price of an ipad or Galaxy tab.

My wife just got her Kindle Fire that she pre-ordered for her birthday a little while back. I haven't had a lot of time with it but there's a few things I really like about it that I can think of. She already had a Kindle e-book reader and as soon as it connected to the wi-fi all of the books she had were available. Also our cell phone is android and all of the apps that I had gotten through the Amazon Appstore were available. Not just the ones currently on the phone but every one I had deleted too. Each new app on either goes to the other one too since both are logged in under the same account. It does everything I've wanted it to do so far. I'm kinda jealous.

11. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Ipad owner here. Great device - books, music, pandora, tabs, you tube, pictures, use it for note taking at meetings. It's with me nearly all waking hours.

I no longer travel with a laptop.

12. vinman

vinman Tele-Meister

Sorry about not enough info. I am probably going to get a 10.1 inch screen with 16 or 32 gb of memory
    . I have no problem paying about $500 for it. I'm not considering the Androids to save money over the IPad and the Ipad is not definatley out.
    I want to put pictures on it, send files back and forth on my home computer, email, use the internet. If I am researching buying something, instead of having printouts stuffed into my pockets, I can have my notes and pictures from the web on the tablet to look back and forth. It would be nice if it had a microphone and I could record some memos or something like that.
    I've been using computers since the first home computers hit the market so I'm not a newbie at computing. I'm just a little behind on the tablets and what they offer.

13. TJNY

TJNY Friend of Leo's

I like what the Toshiba Thrive has to offer with it's outputs and expandable memory which to me, is key. I may have to put one on my Christmas list! I'm seeing lower prices on it already.

14. Ethical

Ethical Tele-Holic

do yourself a favour and check out the iPad at your local Apple store. Then find somewhere selling android tablets and you'll soon figure out why Apple are so successful!

><

15. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Check out an iPad app called "OnSong." Also, it's got a ton of recording apps, a few modellers (with a guitar in) and synthesizers. It's a tone geek's dream.

16. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Flash Mobile is dead. Adobe threw in the towel last week. Long live HTML 5.

17. Thundersleet

Thundersleet Tele-Afflicted

A co-worker of mine got a Galaxy Tab. He's working on a IT degree so he's not clueless. He went with the tab because of the hype about the display. When he brought it in to show it off I asked him to play a video that gave one of my computers trouble. It played it without a stutter but I could see pixels in some parts. When my wife got her Kindle Fire the first thing I did was play that video and it played it without a stutter and any pixels were no worse than the Galaxy. The Galaxy has a bigger display which is nice. The Galaxy isn't expandable. And for that price I would agree with TJNY, it is key. Looking at the specs on the Toshiba Thrive I'd put that above the Galaxy Tab. Because in my opinion the Galaxy display isn't anything special. The Kindle fire is just as good. It will be interesting when the big screen Fire comes out.

I don't have ipad experience but in that price range I'd give it some serious consideration. Matter of fact if I was buying and the ipad was in the choosing I'd probably put the ipad at the top of the list and see what else was good enough to knock it down.

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

iPad user. I have photo editing, recording, Ani-Moog (outstanding synth looping), apps for mapping wind for days that we go boating, eBay, craigslist, old Star Trek episodes, tons of music and I can log into my office outlook when I travel/fly light.

iPad.

19. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

Love my iPad.
    Posted from my ipad

20. vinman

vinman Tele-Meister

thank you guys. I did like the features of the Thrive It seemed the biggest knockdown on the reviews on the internet was it was thicker than the others.
    Ipad guys, I will check it out up close and personal at Best Buy or Microcenter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.