1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Table saw safety PSA

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Peegoo, Jan 19, 2021.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

In case it hasn't been mentioned...

No alcohol before or during the use of power tools.

Peegoo and SparkleFart like this.
  2. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My best old friend took a 2X4 to the gut a month ago. Made a nice, rectangular bruise just above his hip bone. He said that he laid on the floor of his shop for a while...

Old Craftsman table saw somebody gave him. No riving knife, never had one. He never imagined the force a kickback could produce. Glad he wasn't more seriously hurt. I hope he gets rid of it!

3. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

I was in high school shop watching a friend make 48 identical cuts on a table saw using a dado blade.

He got sloppy around number 45 and put his thumb in to the dado. It made a mess.

I have a dado blade which I use for box joints, but I only use it with the sled I built for the purpose.

With standard blade, I usually have the guard off the saw, but I'm religious about using push sticks and not standing behind the work in case of kickback.

I did get hit in the gut with a 24 inch square piece of plywood once. I was standing behind it and it bound up between the fence and the blade. That set me down for a bit. Never again.

4. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Tablesaw? I call it a finger eraser
    Haven’t had a problem but keep a healthy fear of it .

5. SparkleFart

SparkleFart Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I know I'm late to it, but what a great post! Years & years ago I got a splitter with anti-kickback pawls which has tool-free removal. I think it's called a Merlin? No longer have the paperwork.

In a one-time procedure you install a receiver assembly on your table saw trunnion. Then the splitter just snaps into place. All you have to do is drill a small hole in the table insert so you can release the splitter by pushing down with a rod -- or I use a pencil as shown. You can install or remove it in seconds. Seconds.

pushing down on the pencil releases splitter
    m1.jpg

rear view shows part of receiver bracket
    m2.jpg

this shows the splitter/pawl assembly removed
    m3.jpg

Not nearly as exciting as a cool new pedal, but beats a trip to the ED.

Soapbarstrat, ale.istotle and Peegoo like this.
  6. Jowes_84

Jowes_84 Tele-Meister

Deleted

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

When I was working construction we called miter saws 'thumb removers'.

8. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Meh. Those plastic guards are dangerous imo. Id rather be extra careful than eat high velocity plastic.

9. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Knowledge and equipment is an important part of safety, but your focus on what's happening in the moment is critical. If your mind is distracted at all it's time to walk away.

I was one of two men working a 30 ton press with a ten foot bed. Both of us had to hit our levers to drop the ram. Repetitive work, and my attention was wandering. If my partner had not been paying closer attention than I was, I would have dropped that ram on my forearm.

10. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

This is a good safety discussion. I was able to upgrade to a decent contractor saw a few years ago and the riving knife is actually usable. The cheap saw I had before would not stay aligned so the work would catch on the knife making it less safe.
    Anyway, It has the standard blade guard/ riving knife and also has one without the plastic guard for when you are running cuts the guard would impede.
    I use the guard or knife for everything except dado cuts.
    I also make a point of keeping my fingers/hands clear. I avoid loose clothing, etc. I'm planning a new cross-cut/miter sled for the safety as much as the precision.

upload_2021-1-26_8-43-43.png

Attached Files:

SparkleFart likes this.
  11. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I trimmed a little bit of my left ring and middle finger with a table saw in 2007. Took me 3 months to heal, and 6 months of physical therapy to play guitar again. I have a ton more respect for tools now. I also own many push sticks.

12. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Tele-Meister

I think ‘Thumb Hungry’ would be a good name for a power saw blade company :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.