Tab Benoit mini-documentary...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ruger9, Jul 24, 2019.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

13 minutes, really cool, right on his website... it's not a YT video, so I can't imbed it here

www.tabbenoit.com

Jay Isler likes this.
  2. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Tab's absolutely terrific, especially live. THANKS for the pointer.

His rig rindown is a hoot, as you can imagine.

DanDII likes this.
  3. ruger9

Oh yeah- I always KNEW there was something special about his live tone... "he just plugs straight in".. riiiight.....

That rig rundown showed he uses 2 amps, differently: the Super is set to crunch, the Twin is set clean, he mics them BOTH with ONE ribbon mic, leaning heavily on the super, AND blends that with a vocal mic that's micing the BACK of the cabs....

Most people with a convoluted or special setup to get their signature tone, do it with pedals, or special guitars, or old effects units/preamps, etc... (Eric Johnson, Brian Setzer come to mind)... but Tab does with MICROPHONES.

4. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Yeah, but with quality voice mics so that what's coming out of the amps is what you're getting, pretty faithfully. It's the Category 5 "Super/Twin" blend and that beautiful old Thinline bringing the juice. And Tab's fingers, the cajun spice.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    ruger9 likes this.
  5. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

I found it interesting that when Tab's #2 was demo'd they noted it was both heavier and more brittle on the top end and more focused on the low strings.

I've also noticed this to be generally true of heavier guitars over my years of experience.

I find this trait useful when playing with extreme high gain [Randy Rhodes and his Les Paul Custom come to mind] for keeping notes separate.

But when playing for a round "bluesy" tone I find that brittle high end almost impossible to dial out.

Anyone else find this to be the case?

I only ask not to derail but to affirm that it's just not my ears. This interview was the first time I've seen what I felt with heavier guitars explained by someone else.

Anyone else have the same experience?

6. ruger9

Well, John Bolinger never holds Tab's #1, so there's no way to compare... but I have long suspected his #1 is quite heavy for a thinline, and this was supported by a recent article on the development of the thinlines in one of the guitar mags... CBS was buying inferior (cheaper and heavier) wood, and to lighten them they designed the thinline.... which would mean, in reality, the CBS thinlines probably weigh what a normal solid body tele does. These UBER-lightweight thinlines of recent years I do not believe represent the vintage era....

I had an UBER-light thinline, and it had no balls, no meat, no OOMPH. I like heavier guitars for that reason. And I don't find the plain strings on heavier guitars more strident than on lighter guitars... actually, I find the heavier guitars' more mass increases bass response across the board. I hate treble and strident high end, and I prefer heavier guitars.

All that being said, it can't be reduced to that. EVERYTHING plays a role... guitar weight, pickups, even the cable (different cables have different capacitance loss). Even the pick. Pots have different values, even when new. Those pickups weren't machine wound precisely to xxx number of winds like today, so they varied... Of course the amp. There's no way to whittle the theory down to one aspect (such as guitar weight).

7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for sharing. I remember his initial offering "Nice and Warm" which I still consider to be his best.
    I've seen him live 4 times. The first time was in a smokey bar in Beaumont, Texas around '94. A friend and I drove over from Lake Charles, LA to see him. He put on a hell of show.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.